Chances of matching Anesthesiology for US IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am a US IMG, hoping to match anesthesia in 2019. In October, I will be graduating from one of the big 4 Caribbean schools. I am honor society, 90.5 GPA, 242 step 1, 259 step 2 CK and passed CS on first attempt. I'm trying to realistically decide how many anesthesia programs I should apply to, and whether or not I should apply to a back up (which would be radiology... crazy, I know). Any feedback, advice or experiences would be most helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

step 1 scores are expected to be higher for Caribbean students. Your score ideally would be closer to 260 as 242 would be a fine score for a US MD senior. However, not low enough that I don't think you have a chance. I would apply to as many programs as you can afford. Having an equally competitive, if not more competitive specialty (rads), as a backup doesn't make any sense. The only less competitive advanced (PGY-2 start) program I could think to apply to as a backup would be PM&R or neuro (edit: or some psych programs).

Members don't see this ad :)
step 1 scores are expected to be higher for Caribbean students. Your score ideally would be closer to 260 as 242 would be a fine score for a US MD senior. However, not low enough that I don't think you have a chance. I would apply to as many programs as you can afford. Having an equally competitive, if not more competitive specialty (rads), as a backup doesn't make any sense. The only less competitive advanced (PGY-2 start) program I could think to apply to as a backup would be PM&R or neuro (edit: or some psych programs).

He’s applying to anesthesiology, not Derm. The average step scores for anesthesiology is a 230 from the last time I checked. A 242 for an MD is more than competitive enough for anesthesiology and a 242 for an IMG probably won’t get you to a top program, but it’s competitive enough to match.

While PM&R is accepting of those with low scores, they are picky about personality and fit and there are more applicants than there are spots in comparison to other specialities.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn’t say it wasn’t good enough to match, but PDs expect much higher step scores from Caribbean applicants since their schools teach to the test and are given huge amounts of time and resources to study for it. Plus given the sketchiness of their curriculum, a higher step score is desired to lower the risk of getting an academically under qualified resident.

I would not say a 240 from a carribean is equivalent to a 230 from a us school. I’d say it’s more than that, probably 20-25 points extra you have to earn from the Caribbean.

Reactions: 1 users
My friend graduated from SGU in 2017 and matched into gas with a 210-215 on step 1. Don't know her step 2 score.

I didn’t say it wasn’t good enough to match, but PDs expect much higher step scores from Caribbean applicants since their schools teach to the test and are given huge amounts of time and resources to study for it. Plus given the sketchiness of their curriculum, a higher step score is desired to lower the risk of getting an academically under qualified resident.

I would not say a 240 from a carribean is equivalent to a 230 from a us school. I’d say it’s more than that, probably 20-25 points extra you have to earn from the Caribbean.

The thing is someone in the states wouldn’t need a 230 to match into anesthesiology. That is just the average. Half the people who match score in the 220s and lower. Sure a 250+ would give the OP a very legitimate chance to match, but a 242 is good enough to give OP an above average chance to match into a program. I’m not saying the OP is a shoe in, but I’m just counteracting your doom and gloom for the guy. I’m sure OP is well aware that the higher the score the better.

For whatever reason gas has taken a nosedive in competitiveness recently stats are showing. We matched 8/8 in my class this year. IMGs is a whole nother ballgame but still bodes well with a quality board score like that

Reactions: 1 user
Anesthesia is feeling the pressure from midlevels, like any other specialty. Autonomous CRNA's pose a threat, just like PA'S, NP's, and PT's for other specialties.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello there,

I am a US IMG, hoping to match anesthesia in 2019. In October, I will be graduating from one of the big 4 Caribbean schools. I am honor society, 90.5 GPA, 242 step 1, 259 step 2 CK and passed CS on first attempt. I'm trying to realistically decide how many anesthesia programs I should apply to, and whether or not I should apply to a back up (which would be radiology... crazy, I know). Any feedback, advice or experiences would be most helpful. Thanks!

I think your chances are good based on the data: Tableau Public

Anesthesia is not competitive. Dozens of people match into it from Caribbean and even worse every year. Your 242 is more than enough. This is pretty easily attainable knowledge

Anesthesia is not competitive. Dozens of people match into it from Caribbean and even worse every year. Your 242 is more than enough. This is pretty easily attainable knowledge

I think OPs question is quite fair given their IMG status. Roughly 1/3 US IMGs who applied gas in 2018 didn't match and even among the >240 crowd, roughly 14% failed to match. Sizing up one's chances and being realistic about how many programs you need to apply too are totally reasonable things to do regardless of how noncompetitive a field is.

Your snarkiness really wasn't necessary, premed.

As for OP, if you apply broadly across both program tiers and geographic regions you should be fine with those scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Slight derail
Is Gas a research heavy specialty?
Based on decreasing competitiveness, seems like AOA not important?

1. Why did no one link NRMP data for this person? The tableau public is good but why not link the primary source? This info may be behind the curve for OP, but this data will be important for people freaking out right now about next years match.

https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta.../Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-IMGs.pdf

2. Historically anesthesiology has not been incredibly competitive, but that is changing as the AOA match disappears and increased amount D.O.'s enter the unified match graduating from the newer schools. This has been evident this year as the amount of applicants have increased by about 3k just from last year based on the eras preliminary data, as well as the scores .

3. What 1 means in combination with 2 is the 242/259 will likely put you more towards the bottom what are considered the matched scores for this next years match, and things will likely get tougher for IMG's year over year.

2. Historically anesthesiology has not been incredibly competitive, but that is changing as the AOA match disappears and increased amount D.O.'s enter the unified match graduating from the newer schools. This has been evident this year as the amount of applicants have increased by about 3k just from last year based on the eras preliminary data, as well as the scores.

There's only an increase of 217 applicants to this years ERAS compared to last year according to AAMC: https://www.aamc.org/download/358760/data/residency.xlsx

There's only an increase of 217 applicants to this years ERAS compared to last year according to AAMC: https://www.aamc.org/download/358760/data/residency.xlsx

Lol 271...but 3k...300...I mean whats the difference lol

Either way the 271 has caused a pretty significant pinch in interview invites, and a lot less people dropping interviews allowing waitlist movement. If you don't believe me check out the anesthesiology forum.

what are some of the programs that grant curtesy interviews if you audit there?