Chances of getting into California Pharmacy schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomHero1

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am asking the question on what are my chances of getting into a pharmacy school in California? Without PharmCAS gpa calculation i have a GPAc = 3.0 and with it GPAc=2.75
My science GPA i have calculated using pharmCAS standards and that comes to being GPAs= 2.5.

My application as a whole will include shadowing experience from a pharmacist, leadership experience at a school club. Volunterring to help tutor refugees. Volunterring in a hospital. I have also worked as a tutor for 4 years at a college while i was an undergraduate. I have currently graduated with a B.S. in Biochemistry. I am in the process of studying for the PCAT and Pharmtech lisence as wel.

Yes I am well aware my GPA is low. But, i had a lot of personal, legal, and family problems while i was an undergraduate and this inhibited my success in classes in my early years. Since then i have had a strong upward trend in my grades. What i just mentioned and some other factors will be added to my personal statement.

So, my question to everyone is what are my chances given the current state of acceptances in California for pharmacy schools? Care to post your own experience? Or a friends experience? Like anyone coming to SDN i am worried and scared. But, i am determined to see this through.

Thank you guys and girls a head of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I am asking the question on what are my chances of getting into a pharmacy school in California? Without PharmCAS gpa calculation i have a GPAc = 3.0 and with it GPAc=2.75
My science GPA i have calculated using pharmCAS standards and that comes to being GPAs= 2.5.

My application as a whole will include shadowing experience from a pharmacist, leadership experience at a school club. Volunterring to help tutor refugees. Volunterring in a hospital. I have also worked as a tutor for 4 years at a college while i was an undergraduate. I have currently graduated with a B.S. in Biochemistry. I am in the process of studying for the PCAT and Pharmtech lisence as wel.

Yes I am well aware my GPA is low. But, i had a lot of personal, legal, and family problems while i was an undergraduate and this inhibited my success in classes in my early years. Since then i have had a strong upward trend in my grades. What i just mentioned and some other factors will be added to my personal statement.

So, my question to everyone is what are my chances given the current state of acceptances in California for pharmacy schools? Care to post your own experience? Or a friends experience? Like anyone coming to SDN i am worried and scared. But, i am determined to see this through.

Thank you guys and girls a head of time.

1) Work as a technician and get your PTCB

2) Get a 99 on the PCAT (California don’t require it nonetheless take it)

If your upward trend includes mandated pre-reqs (organic series + micro + etc etc) your fine. If your upward trend includes excellent grades in upper inorganic, biochem, analytical chem, calculus/physics, and physical chem with undergrad research your fine.

If you did the minimum in pre-reqs and struggled during a crisis it still doesn’t show you “know” the material. In other words, should you get accepted but cannot keep up with 16-18 credits of math-science courses it’s because you were distracted while building the fundamentals in undergrad. Show how you won’t fail (ie good upper trend in upper science courses + nail the PCAT).

I’ve heard others skatin’ in an acceptance with lower stats (sigh...) so should you get in during the saturation please have a contingency on paying your education (military / frugal - niche lifestyle / etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Pro: pharmacy school overall is very easy to get into.

Con: California schools are notorious for being overpriced. California is also incredibly saturated. Even if you do graduate from a California school you may be forced to move out of state indefinitely to find a job that will help pay off your $250k+ in student loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
With many new schools open, I don't think you have any trouble to get in.

Assuming you still have a pulse and are able to obtain federal loans, they should let you waltz right in.