chances of getting in? GPA/OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1017515

hello again!

I went to a pretty good undergrad institution and graduated in 2019. I was a non-science major and my overall GPA was a 3.20 however my science GPA was a 2.64. I often had a full course load and was always working 1-2 jobs during my time there. I was also heavily involved in many campus orgs. I am taking 2 gap years right now and already have 2 years of experience working as a tech at a private practice. I got a 310 TS/320 AA on the OAT and was planning on retaking it however i'm not so sure anymore due to corona or if I need to retake it. I plan on applying for the next cycle for admission starting Aug 2021. Any tips/recs or know what my chances of getting interviews at schools would be?

thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was in a similar situation in terms of having a lower gpa and being involved with many clubs, organizations, part-time jobs, etc. I took a gap year this year and improved my oat score, did some prerequisites again for higher marks and continued my volunteer initiatives. I also continued working in an eye clinic and took on more responsibilities there. These things were definitely enough as I got into all 4 schools I had interviewed with!

Bottom line is that you really show your dedication and continued interest in optometry, especially through your essay. If you show all the additional preparation you have been doing, and how committed you are, I’m sure you will succeed!

Feel free to dm me with any questions, and good luck!

Hi! I was in a similar situation in terms of having a lower gpa and being involved with many clubs, organizations, part-time jobs, etc. I took a gap year this year and improved my oat score, did some prerequisites again for higher marks and continued my volunteer initiatives. I also continued working in an eye clinic and took on more responsibilities there. These things were definitely enough as I got into all 4 schools I had interviewed with!

Bottom line is that you really show your dedication and continued interest in optometry, especially through your essay. If you show all the additional preparation you have been doing, and how committed you are, I’m sure you will succeed!

Feel free to dm me with any questions, and good luck!
did you retake your classes at the same institution or did you decide to do them at a community college or elsewhere? thank you for sharing!

Members don't see this ad :)
did you retake your classes at the same institution or did you decide to do them at a community college or elsewhere? thank you for sharing!

My institution does not allow us to retake any science courses, so I did a course at another local university, and a couple online ones through UNE.

I think you are doing all of the right steps for the application process. Grades and OAT scores do not make the doctor. They are highly predictive of how well you will do in school, but if you were working two jobs, taking a full course load at a more challenging university, and excelling in leadership opportunities at your university, schools will absolutely consider that. Just make sure you justify that on interviews. We have very similar backgrounds, and I did just fine.
Best of luck! Please keep us posted.