Chances of getting accepted to a different Vet school if you fail out of your current vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theSAvet

Reaction score
I’m currently a first semester student the Saturday evening before my finals week.

I’m not feeling confident going into them even though I only need a 60% across the board to pass them.

I’m extremely unhappy in the program I’m enrolled in and have been thinking and looking into transferring for a while now. However, on the brink of my finals, the thought has evolved into, “will a different school accept me if I fail a course, say GA or Physiology and I reapply?”

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I know of a single case of someone failing out of a US school and then applying to a school in another country and getting in. I wouldn't generally bank on it though. Each vet school has far more qualified applicants than seats, I'm not sure most would take the risk of bringing someone in who had just failed out of another school.

Reactions: 3 users
I know of a single case of someone failing out of a US school and then applying to a school in another country and getting in. I wouldn't generally bank on it though. Each vet school has far more qualified applicants than seats, I'm not sure most would take the risk of bringing someone in who had just failed out of another school.
So would it be better to withdraw before actually failing out? It’s not a case of the work or the material, it’s just the school and the location that are causing so much mental anguish that it’s affecting my health and grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
So would it be better to withdraw before actually failing out? It’s not a case of the work or the material, it’s just the school and the location that are causing so much mental anguish that it’s affecting my health and grades.
Could you ask for a deferment possibly to get some help and after you get that help then decide what you want to do?

Reactions: 4 users
Could you ask for a deferment possibly to get some help and after you get that help then decide what you want to do?
Well, finals start tomorrow so I don’t think it’ll be a possibility at this point. I’ll just have to pull all nighters and cram this semester and figure out a better strategy next semester (regardless of whether I pass or fail) and then look into transferring.

Honestly it depends on your school. Mine has done mental health deferrals for people in the past. Not right before finals, but still mid-semester. But every school handles things differently. I think you can try to prepare for finals while also having a frank conversation with the appropriate administrator about what's been going on. You'd be pressed for time though because I'm sure they would want some kind of documentation from a doctor or therapist or something. If things are that bad though it is beneficial to find out your options.

Reactions: 1 users
What's in your student handbook? Find out about LOA's and ask your faculty advisor or student services administrator. Do not wait until you're failing to ask for a LOA. However, I also would not bank on transferring, especially if you are currently having problems with classes now. If transferring were allowed, few schools want to take students who can't handle their curriculum, and you may have to start from the beginning if you successfully transfer.