PGY-2 after a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulmatchapplicant

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give advice on taking a year off after completing a PGY-1 before applying for a PGY-2. Has anyone done this before and what were your experiences when it came to applying?

Members don't see this ad.

It can be done (I know of someone who did this). In terms of maintaining competitiveness between candidates- you vs someone still in their PGY1, I think what it comes down to what type of job you land after PGY1 and if it stands up.

I just imagine it would be very tough, transition-wise (work hours, salary to name a few)

I know a couple of people who did this - one of them created an antimicrobial stewardship program as a staff pharmacist during their year off, and the other just staffed. Both matched with prestigious PGY-2 programs but definitely found it much harder to go back to residency. They both agree that it's a wiser decision to stay the course and continue to PGY-2 immediately if possible.

I did it this year. I thought it would look bad on my applications but I interviewed at every program I applied to. I would say just stay active, I got my BCPS, took students, precepted residents, was on a committee, and wrote two protocols. I think it made me more competitive.

Reactions: 1 user