Chances of acceptance & advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyt2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-LONG POST-

Hello everyone, I was wondering I could get some advice. I have already submitted my OptomCAS applications and gotten verified. This week, I received emails from two schools (UHCO & NECO) and gotten an interview with PCO. But I was asked to provide a few more things that I am not sure about. I don't feel like I have strong stats but I wanted to give it a try this year. Here are my stats & my questions:

OAT Scores (Taken twice):
- First try: AA270, TS260 ( 300RC, 270GC, 260QR, 240Physics, 260BIO, 290OC)
- Second try: AA280, TS270 (280RC, 280GC, 300QR, 270Physics, 280BIO, 280OC)
Science GPA: 3.04
Experience:
- Pharmacy technician since 2013
- 3 years in a private practice as a receptionist/manager/assistant/sales rep/unlicensed optician (The practice lost a majority of its employees & I ended doing
everything to run the business except the actual examinations and payments to insurances/labs/manufacturers.)
LORS: 1 optometrist, 1 non-science professor (I was his TA), 1 optician
Schools I applied to: MCPHS, NECO, UHCO, PCO, NSU, Midwestern (Chicago)
I submitted my OptomCAS early September and was verified this past Monday.

1) I was asked by NECO & UHCO if I plan to re-take my OATs or not. They recommended that I re-take it. But I am not confident that I will do any better the 3rd time around with personal stressors due to COVID and my extremely busy work schedule (crazier because of COVID). If I decide to re-take it, would scheduling for Jan 2021 be too late? Or should I tell the schools that I do not plan to re-take the OATs and accept whatever decision they make?

2) UHCO has asked me for another science professor to write me a LOR. I graduated from my institution 3.5 years ago and reached out to my former professors in the beginning this year, with no replies at all. I sent follow up emails before this cycle started and still have not heard back. How would I fulfill the requirement for a LOR from a science professor, if none of my former professors are willing?

3) Is there anything else I can do in order to strengthen my stats? (i.e. becoming a licensed optician)

4) What is the best indication that I may not be cut out for optometry school, even though I have done my best towards this career goal?

I would really appreciate any advice you may all have. Post-graduation years have been rough and I would just like any kind of guidance from experienced individuals.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read all this!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! That is great to hear that you have submitted OptomCAS and have also been verified. And CONGRATULATIONS on your interview invitation with PCO. That is a huge deal, and you should be proud! Stats are not EVERYTHING in an applicant and they certainly do not define how great of a doctor you will be in the future.

I also took the OAT twice, and my stats were identical to yours. The OAT is a struggle during this cycle with the fact being that we are in the middle of a PANDEMIC! Many schools know this, and a lot of them are being understanding, at least in my experience. In fact, talk about it at your interview! If you are asked about your OAT experience during COVID-19, don't make excuses, but also be honest about what you have faced. I can personally say that the pandemic has made a huge impact on my OAT test taking experiences! OAT scores do not define you, and your science GPA isn't all that is taken into consideration, as I am sure you have a decent cumulative if your sGPA is above a 3.00. It also seems like you have great experience under your belt, as well as great reference letter writers. Those connections you have built will pay off!

1) My first question to you in regards to UHCO and NECO are how high are they on your priority list? I mean if other schools are looking at you, like PCO for example, would you be "settling" for other schools that did not suggest you retake your OAT? Because if you are happy with other schools who aren't requiring a retake, I would say don't worry about retaking for a couple of schools you may not even go to. But if you do decide to retake, I don't think January would be too late, especially if they already have it noted you are going to retake it. Those schools in particular may put you on a waitlist or they may even offer a conditional acceptance depending on the school. If you truly do not want to go through the pain of the OAT again, I would suggest being honest with NECO and UHCO and see what they have to say. Again, it definitely depends too on how high those schools are on your priority list.

2) . I am sorry to hear you have not heard back from any science professor yet. Have you reached out to ALL potential science professors who could write you one? Think hard about who all would be able to speak about you in a positive light! If you truly have no hope of any science professor writing you a letter, reach out to UHCO with further questions and advice and I am sure they will understand and help you.

3) I would say that schools just really like well-rounded applicants. Strengthening stats could be done by showcasing how involved you have been in the community or university you attended, and just really be sure to displaying why YOU would be a great doctor. Also, strong letters of recommendation will take you far!!!

4) If you have the passion for optometry and in your heart you know this is the thing for you, you will be successful. You will find a way to make it to your dream if you truly want it. That is how you know you will be great. It is all about your drive and how much this profession means to you!

I hope I have helped in at least the slightest way. I have been accepted by two schools, have one more interview, and am on the waitlist with another so I have been through a lot of the process in the past few months.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! That is great to hear that you have submitted OptomCAS and have also been verified. And CONGRATULATIONS on your interview invitation with PCO. That is a huge deal, and you should be proud! Stats are not EVERYTHING in an applicant and they certainly do not define how great of a doctor you will be in the future.

I also took the OAT twice, and my stats were identical to yours. The OAT is a struggle during this cycle with the fact being that we are in the middle of a PANDEMIC! Many schools know this, and a lot of them are being understanding, at least in my experience. In fact, talk about it at your interview! If you are asked about your OAT experience during COVID-19, don't make excuses, but also be honest about what you have faced. I can personally say that the pandemic has made a huge impact on my OAT test taking experiences! OAT scores do not define you, and your science GPA isn't all that is taken into consideration, as I am sure you have a decent cumulative if your sGPA is above a 3.00. It also seems like you have great experience under your belt, as well as great reference letter writers. Those connections you have built will pay off!

1) My first question to you in regards to UHCO and NECO are how high are they on your priority list? I mean if other schools are looking at you, like PCO for example, would you be "settling" for other schools that did not suggest you retake your OAT? Because if you are happy with other schools who aren't requiring a retake, I would say don't worry about retaking for a couple of schools you may not even go to. But if you do decide to retake, I don't think January would be too late, especially if they already have it noted you are going to retake it. Those schools in particular may put you on a waitlist or they may even offer a conditional acceptance depending on the school. If you truly do not want to go through the pain of the OAT again, I would suggest being honest with NECO and UHCO and see what they have to say. Again, it definitely depends too on how high those schools are on your priority list.

2) . I am sorry to hear you have not heard back from any science professor yet. Have you reached out to ALL potential science professors who could write you one? Think hard about who all would be able to speak about you in a positive light! If you truly have no hope of any science professor writing you a letter, reach out to UHCO with further questions and advice and I am sure they will understand and help you.

3) I would say that schools just really like well-rounded applicants. Strengthening stats could be done by showcasing how involved you have been in the community or university you attended, and just really be sure to displaying why YOU would be a great doctor. Also, strong letters of recommendation will take you far!!!

4) If you have the passion for optometry and in your heart you know this is the thing for you, you will be successful. You will find a way to make it to your dream if you truly want it. That is how you know you will be great. It is all about your drive and how much this profession means to you!

I hope I have helped in at least the slightest way. I have been accepted by two schools, have one more interview, and am on the waitlist with another so I have been through a lot of the process in the past few months.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time read my long post and give me awesome advice and encouragement! SUPER congratulations on your acceptances and interviews!!! That's amazing and I am so happy for you! Whichever school you decide to go to is lucky to have you!

I actually got an interview with MCPHS & Midwestern as well. So nervous for them (any interview advice?)! Since this is the first time I've applied and have been out of school for a while, this has been very overwhelming. Reading your post really helped me! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your reply!

You mentioned that your scores were identical (really impressed that you were able to take the exam during COVID, it is a huge obstacle). But I actually had taken my OAT attempts before the pandemic. Although I didn't have COVID making an impact, I did have a huge family medical/financial situation for the last 2 years. During your interviews, did they ask you to explain your OAT scores or any low grades in courses?

1) For UHCO and NECO, they aren't my top two choices. MCPHS and PCO are my top choices and neither have asked me to retake the OAT (I hope they don't ask during the interviews. Fingers crossed!) I am leaning towards not retaking them unless I have to reapply next cycle. With COVID and the extra responsibilities, I don't believe I would do any better a third time. I was worried about retaking it so late because I've seen posts about how your chances are lower, the longer you wait in the cycle. But I am still on the fence about retaking it.

2) I did reach out to every professor I have spent some time with. None have replied, not even the professor who had taught me for multiple semesters and had been my program advisor for all four years of university. I ran the emails by my former English professor and he said the emails were great. Maybe COVID has made them prioritize their new teaching methods? I am not sure. I reached out to UHCO, but I have not heard back yet.

3) Vision care is so limited and feels invisible in my community. Hopefully I have done enough for schools to give me a chance to prove myself in person!

4) That was beautifully said!! I have read this part so many times and absolutely love it! I appreciate the confidence boost and will definitely come back to this post a lot!

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me and give me advice. It means a lot to me! Apologies for the long reply hahaha!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so glad I can be of some help and encouragement! And thank you very much!!! I can't wait to hear about your acceptances too!

Congratulations on your interview invitations. I understand being nervous for them, but honestly just be yourself! That is key for the interview to see YOU for you, and at the end of the day, you want a school that aligns with you, so never be afraid to show who you really are! I can understand how overwhelming the process is, and I am sure it doesn't make it easier since you have been out of school for a bit. But like I said, I am hoping I helped/can help if at least a little! I am always here to help my fellow pre-optometry peers!

Yes my scores were identical to yours, and I would say it was a big obstacle to take that monster of an exam twice during a pandemic. Regardless of whether you took it before or during the pandemic, it is still very impressive to have sat through the exam twice (and improve)! Whether it was COVID impacting your process or an outside factor, it was still a struggle for you. And during interviews, they WILL give you a chance to speak on how your personal struggles impacted your scores/GPA. Again, don't make excuses, but also this is your time to explain your story! Not everyone goes through the same struggles and experiences, and a lot of things can impact those numbers. It is how you respond that makes a testament to who you are, so definitely be open and honest when they give you the chance to explain!

1) That is amazing that your top choices haven't asked you to retake the OAT. They won't ask you to retake during interviews, and if anything it would be afterwards in an email to you. But I do believe a lot of schools tell you before they schedule an interview with you, so I think you would know by now!! I would recommend not retaking it unless you absolutely have to or feel the need to. COVID makes testing a bigger struggle than a normal testing situation so that is primarily why I advise against it.. And, I mean if the schools you're really interested in don't need a retake from you, why worry about it? It is true that your chances are lower the longer you wait in the cycle to apply, but you can apply before you take the exam. Just so you know that is an option!

2) That is such a bummer about no professors responding back to you. I can't believe no one replied, especially your former advisor. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that! Maybe send some polite follow ups because they might have missed them the first time around? It's good you reached out to UHCO about it, and I'm sure they'll help you out.

3) Of course schools like to see vision care experience but anything that can show you as a well rounded individual will definitely make you stand out. It seems like you have a lot of great experience!

4) Thank you so much!! I am really passionate about the field and of course it is going to be an uphill battle to get to the end goal but I know that is 100% what I want to be doing so I am going to push and make it work! You can do absolutely anything you set your mind to!

If you need any other advice or simply want to talk about anything I am always here. Feel free to direct message me about things as well if you don't want to share to the whole site! Take care!

It really means a lot to me that you've taken the time to read my super long posts and give such amazing encouragement! I can tell you are extremely passionate about optometry and helping people. I absolutely admire that! Throughout this high stress process, I will definitely be coming back to your posts for confidence boosts!

It is definitely a huge accomplishment to get through the OAT, such a length exam....I can only imagine how extra stressful it was for you to take it twice during a pandemic. I'm not too sure how to explain my shortcomings to be honest hahaha.

1) You are completely right. I hope that PCO and MCPHS don't ask me to retake the exam after the interviews. I've contacted the testing centers and they seem extremely overwhelmed and uncertain too. I don't think it will be worth the retake. I think I'll let NECO know that I have decided not to retake the OAT and accept their decision since they're not high on my list. Thank you for helping with that! I was going in circles thinking about it.

2) I sent follow up emails around June. That might have been around the time they were swamped with COVID emails though. Fingers crossed UHCO will have some additional advice.

3) Agreed! I am a late bloomer in the optometry world and was pretty worried about my lack of experience in the field. You had an interview with Midwestern University (IL) Right? How did the interview process go for them? I read on this forum that it was mainly a Q & A with students and faculty?

4) It is great to hear that you found a career you love! Reading your posts are inspiring and I am confident you will make an amazing optometrist! Your future patients are going to be very lucky to have you!

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to give such amazing encouragement and advice! I may take you up on your offer! Thanks again!

I am rooting for you!!! You will have to update me on your interviews and acceptances - I know you will go far. You got this! To answer your question about CCO's interview, it was very laid back and I was comfortable. This was my first interview, and I was glad it was first, because I think it eased my nerves for all interviews! I started off in a group of about 12 people and you were split into two groups from there. The first group interviewed while the second group got the virtual tour and then we switched! It was a closed file interview, and they truly just made you feel welcomed and they just wanted to get to know you. I would say it was very low stress!

I am rooting for you!!! You will have to update me on your interviews and acceptances - I know you will go far. You got this! To answer your question about CCO's interview, it was very laid back and I was comfortable. This was my first interview, and I was glad it was first, because I think it eased my nerves for all interviews! I started off in a group of about 12 people and you were split into two groups from there. The first group interviewed while the second group got the virtual tour and then we switched! It was a closed file interview, and they truly just made you feel welcomed and they just wanted to get to know you. I would say it was very low stress!

Thank you again for your encouragement! I've been coming back to your posts over and over. I feel pretty confident about the interviews now and will definitely update you! :D

I really wanted CCO to be my first interview too. But I got their invitation after PCO & MCPHS (This one I found out by accident) and had to have it scheduled last (10/19). PCO is going to be my first (10/9), then MCPHS (10/15). I've been reading up on some legislation and suggested topics from my optometrist, I hope I'm ready for PCO's specific questions hahaha. I read that CCO's interview will be a few hours long, but I didn't see anything about group interviews? Do you happen to remember what kind of questions they asked and if you speak to other applicants during the interview as well?

I am glad you are feeling confident! :) That is great! Regardless of where your first interview is, you are going to have a few nerves for the first time interviewing with an optometry school no matter what, but I really think you will be just fine. I felt very comfortable during PCO's interview, as it was a little more casual than the others in my opinion. I would say PCO asked mostly about your file as it was an open file interview, and they were very straightforward questions. CCO's entire day was about 3-4 hours if I remember correctly, but you do begin the day with about 11 other students. They really just asked the typical interview questions that you may find on SDN or elsewhere but remember it is closed file so the questions are truly geared towards getting a feel on you and your personality/personal experiences. You do speak to other applicants as you are waiting to enter the two on one interview (two professors and yourself) but the interview itself is not with other applicants.

That is definitely true. No matter how many times I go over the example questions, I am still pretty nervous. I'm also not use to talking about myself so I know that will be a little bit of challenge. I see, so PCO will probably ask more about my stats in addition to general questions. :nailbiting: Do you have any advice on how I should explain my low OAT scores since I took them pre-COVID? Wow, CCO has a longer virtual interview process hahaha. I didn't realize there would be two people interviewing you. Do you think having two people interview you is more nerve wrecking than PCO's one interviewer?

That is definitely true. No matter how many times I go over the example questions, I am still pretty nervous. I'm also not use to talking about myself so I know that will be a little bit of challenge. I see, so PCO will probably ask more about my stats in addition to general questions. :nailbiting: Do you have any advice on how I should explain my low OAT scores since I took them pre-COVID? Wow, CCO has a longer virtual interview process hahaha. I didn't realize there would be two people interviewing you. Do you think having two people interview you is more nerve wrecking than PCO's one interviewer?
How did the interview go with PCO? I have applied to PCO for this cycle. I am waiting for an interview with PCO in January. Could you share your experience? THanks!

How was your interview with PCO and did you get accepted?