Chances? How can I improve before June?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The1Train

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will preface this by saying I am a current MSTP applicant so my advice is based on my own experience and minimal knowledge of the inner workings of this process. I think your "chances" of receiving at least 1 MSTP acceptance are very high, assuming you have thoughtful essays, do have strong letters, don't say anything egregious during interviews.

Based on my own experience of applying with similar stats, you might get overlooked by some of the most competitive programs because of your stats. That said, I would be very surprised if you didn't get at least an interview at one of the top-tier MSTPs (WashU/Tri-I/Penn/Hopkins/etc). As for the rest, I expect that you will attract interest from several programs in the top 20 USNWR and beyond. I base my advice on the fact that your stats are "borderline" but you are from an Ivy (one current MSTP student on the admissions committee at a school I interviewed at said people from prominent undergrads get some slack for stats -- this was n = 1 school but I do find this ironic... anyway that's a discussion for another time) and your research experience sounds outstanding.
Final Pro-tip: Try to figure out which schools house the most people who know your PI(s). Bonus points if those people are associated with the MSTP!

Thank you for your helpful reply wisconsin1011. I also read your chances post and found it very helpful. I'm going to do my best to write thoughtful, complex, unique essays that show off my strengths and I'll think though my recommenders to try to include the best.

Would you mind telling me the name of the school that gave you that tip? It sounds like somewhere I should apply.

Does anyone know how much clinical volunteering and showing is enough?

Thank you for your helpful reply wisconsin1011. I also read your chances post and found it very helpful. I'm going to do my best to write thoughtful, complex, unique essays that show off my strengths and I'll think though my recommenders to try to include the best.

Would you mind telling me the name of the school that gave you that tip? It sounds like somewhere I should apply.

Does anyone know how much clinical volunteering and showing is enough?

You definitely need to do some shadowing. Didn't see that on your post. If you have 0 shadowing hours, I would prioritize that over volunteering for the time being.

70 hours of clinical volunteering might be a bit low but I'm no expert.

Your research track record sounds solid, and that is the most important part of your app!