This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flippinam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading on SDN for a long time, but this is my first actual post. I'm going into my final year of undergrad, and I am hoping to get advice on how to improve my application. I am somewhat nontraditional (I actually don't know whether my app is considered nontraditional or how it exactly works), but I am graduating one year early then taking a gap year to work.

cGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 518 (130,129,130,129)
TX resident
Non-URM

Clinical Experience: Volunteering: 150 hrs as of now, will be 200+ when I apply
Non-Volunteer: will work full time as scribe in gap year

Research Experience: This is where I'm really really lacking. One year that I got class credit for + poster presentation (not sure if this even "counts")

Shadowing: 240 hrs (pediatrics, orthopedics, cardiology, interventional cardiology, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, plastics, urology)

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 200+ hrs (3 different places weekly)

Other EC's: Club sports team (president/only officer so this takes up most of my time), two pre-med orgs with leadership roles in both

Awards: Member of the Year in one pre-med org, several scholarships

Schools:
1) Baylor
2) UTSW
3) UTMB
4) Any other TX school

These are the three schools that I would really like to go to, however I will be applying to all TX schools and will be happy to get in anywhere. Baylor would be my dream school though. I don't plan to apply out of state anywhere, but I don't know if this would mean I am applying too narrowly?

I know that my lack of research is probably going to limit my options a lot. If anybody has any advice on getting into research, it would be much appreciated! I have applied to several summer programs and for several labs on campus with no luck. I really don't understand how pretty much everybody gets research experience. I feel like I have done all that I can and just haven't had any luck.

I am especially interested in what my chances for Baylor would be with my current EC's.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.