Chances for Neuroscience PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdelemoneater

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am planning on applying to neuroscience PhD programs and I was wondering whether or not I should aim much lower or apply to M.S. programs, or if I have a good chance at these universities. I am sure that many of these are definitely reach schools, but I thought that I would ask anyways:
  • Johns Hopkins
  • UMD
  • Harvard
  • MIT
  • Boston University
  • UPENN
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • UCSF
  • UC Berkeley
  • Stanford
  • UCLA
  • UCSD
  • Cal Tech
  • University of Michigan
  • Yale
  • Northwestern
  • University of Chicago
  • Princeton
  • Columbia
  • Cornell
  • NYU
  • University of Rochester
  • Mount Sinai
  • University of Washington
  • Duke University
  • UNC Chapel Hill
  • Washington University
  • Emory University
  • Rice University
Stats:

cGPA = 3.65
Undergraduate Institution = Virginia Commonwealth University & took Calculus II/III + Differential Equations + Introduction to Probability Theory courses at UMD College Park
GRE = not taken yet

I have roughly 5 years of total research experience:

USUHS (Uterine Fibroids) - spent roughly two months as a brief experience in a lab setting at 17 years old

VCU / Department of Physiology and Biophysics - spent roughly a 1.5 years research Autism Spectrum Disorders in mouse models. This experience lead to co-authorship on a ACS Chemical Neuroscience publication, two poster presentations (one at UROP and another at biophysical society), and a senior thesis/defense

NIH (NIMH) - spent 1 year as a Postbac IRTA Research Fellow researching the circuitry and neuromodulation underlying various depression and emotion regulation models in transgenic mice. Unfortunately, this experience did not translate to any publishable work, but I amassed a ton of new techniques under my belt

Johns Hopkins University - spent 2 years as a Research Technologist doing research on magnetically-heated nanoparticles as a potential treatment method for glioblastomas and other cancers as well. From here got another poster presentation and I was able to craft my own independent project, which I am still working on

Awards/Distinctions:

- Honors College Member and Graduate
- Honors Distinction in Biology (1 of 6 people in my class)
- Cum Laude Latin Honors
- Dean's List (5x)

Other Information:

I can get very strong letters of recommendation from all three of my previous PIs, as well as get in contact and establish strong relationships with potential labs that I would want to join at some of the universities mentioned above

I have mastered A LOT of techniques throughout these experiences, including ones in molecular biology, electrophysiology, behavior tests, histology, microscopy/imaging, data analysis, etc.

** the list above is a master-list and it will be narrowed down eventually**

I have more experiences in community outreach and clinical experiences as well, but I did not think that it would be TOO relevant when applying for PhD programs.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you have a good amount of research experience, and some strong tangible output from it. Is your concern your GPA? I run a group called Project SHORT that gives free advice and feedback from PhD students, many of us neuroscience PhD students. Feel free to shoot me a message!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you have a good amount of research experience, and some strong tangible output from it. Is your concern your GPA? I run a group called Project SHORT that gives free advice and feedback from PhD students, many of us neuroscience PhD students. Feel free to shoot me a message!

I have some questions: I am currently in a master's program (psychology) but looking to apply to Neuroscience PhD programs next year. Most of the programs I am looking at don't require the GRE (e.g. Stanford, UCSF, UW, etc.).

So hence having a low Undergraduate GPA (high grad GPA), I am aiming to land a full time research position (previously had one in undergrad also for 1 year!) However, I have a chance in as research coordinator position for a neuroscience division (coordinate EEG, TMS, tDC studies) at UCLA. But also I have a chance as a research assistant position at USC studying effects of environmental stress on the neurobiological system. Do you think a coordinator position will be looked down upon for as research experience? or the job title really doesn't matter as long as I am directly exposed to research? In other words, do you suggest that I land a research assistant positon compared to the coordinator one?

For the neuroscience experience, most programs don't seem to care about the exact area of research as long as it's scientific research (read it off their website). How serious is this statement taken?

Do you have any advice on how I could strengthen my application in response to my low undergraduate GPA? Do they take the master's GPA seriously if I am showing a better performance?

Thanks!

I can only speak from my own experience, but I don't think schools will care what the title was if you're able to engage in productive, independent, meaningful research whose significance you can clearly articulate. I can tell you that I come from a non-neuroscience background and out of 4-5 years of research beforehand, only spent 5 months studying the topic I wrote in my personal statement I wanted to study. I spent time studying ecology, developmental biology, and cancer all throughout undergrad. It feels, to me, that in a coordinator position you might not be able to do your own research? But without details it's hard to say.

imo, graduate programs are much more generous with lower GPAs in comparison to medical schools -- a 3.65 should not put you out automatically. Letters of recommendations, evidence of productive research experiences (papers, posters, talks, etc), and a strong personal statement that tells a story will be much more important.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I don't think schools will care what the title was if you're able to engage in productive, independent, meaningful research whose significance you can clearly articulate. I can tell you that I come from a non-neuroscience background and out of 4-5 years of research beforehand, only spent 5 months studying the topic I wrote in my personal statement I wanted to study. I spent time studying ecology, developmental biology, and cancer all throughout undergrad. It feels, to me, that in a coordinator position you might not be able to do your own research? But without details it's hard to say.

imo, graduate programs are much more generous with lower GPAs in comparison to medical schools -- a 3.65 should not put you out automatically. Letters of recommendations, evidence of productive research experiences (papers, posters, talks, etc), and a strong personal statement that tells a story will be much more important.

Thanks for the reply. For the coordinator position, they told me that it has a research component where I will be involved in coordinating a study for the neurosurgery department. Also, the rest of the duties are a little bit more administrative where I will be interacting with/ preparing patients for TMS studies. I am going to go for the interview and check the vibe out!

Also, I come from a Psychology background both BA and masters (minored in Neuro tho). I believe psych is more closer to the field compared to something else like ecology; so I should not have trouble with that. I have been told that diversity in both my academic and personal background can make me standout.

Do you mind me asking, which university do you attend for your PhD? I am just curious!

Thanks for the reply. For the coordinator position, they told me that it has a research component where I will be involved in coordinating a study for the neurosurgery department. Also, the rest of the duties are a little bit more administrative where I will be interacting with/ preparing patients for TMS studies. I am going to go for the interview and check the vibe out!

Also, I come from a Psychology background both BA and masters (minored in Neuro tho). I believe psych is more closer to the field compared to something else like ecology; so I should not have trouble with that. I have been told that diversity in both my academic and personal background can make me standout.

Do you mind me asking, which university do you attend for your PhD? I am just curious!
I'm at UPenn! 1st year, probably the person in my class with the weakest neuro background and still doing alright/sometimes thriving. You should be fine with a Psych background.

I'm at UPenn! 1st year, probably the person in my class with the weakest neuro background and still doing alright/sometimes thriving. You should be fine with a Psych background.

Awesome! I heard east coast schools are great...But I am really trying to stay in California, nevertheless, my top choices are stanford, UW, and UCSF.

Awesome! I heard east coast schools are great...But I am really trying to stay in California, nevertheless, my top choices are stanford, UW, and UCSF.
Great schools! If you're interested, I can connect you with neuro students at Stanford. Shoot me a DM.

Hello, I am the parent of a senior at Penn. My D has been accepted to The neuroscience PHD program at Penn. She is interviewing at UNC and Washington st louis. Still waiting on acceptance to UNC and UWASh. My question is, if accepted at all three which might you accept? We live in Philadelphia. Daughter didn't really enjoy undergraduate years at Penn, but did well academically. She really likes UNC but may feel pressured to accept Penn or Wash because they are top ten programs. Your thought please? Thanks in advance.

Hello, I am the parent of a senior at Penn. My D has been accepted to The neuroscience PHD program at Penn. She is interviewing at UNC and Washington st louis. Still waiting on acceptance to UNC and UWASh. My question is, if accepted at all three which might you accept? We live in Philadelphia. Daughter didn't really enjoy undergraduate years at Penn, but did well academically. She really likes UNC but may feel pressured to accept Penn or Wash because they are top ten programs. Your thought please? Thanks in advance.

That's a great question! Hard to answer, but at the end of the day, program ranking is less important to finding an institution where you feel like you have labs you're excited about working with, and a program that will support you throughout the PhD training. I'm a G1 at Penn and absolutely made the right choice coming to Penn, but she should go with whatever she thinks is the best fit.

That's a great question! Hard to answer, but at the end of the day, program ranking is less important to finding an institution where you feel like you have labs you're excited about working with, and a program that will support you throughout the PhD training. I'm a G1 at Penn and absolutely made the right choice coming to Penn, but she should go with whatever she thinks is the best fit.
Thank you for your insight. I don’t think you can make a wrong choice considering these options. I agree with you. We as parents would love for her to stay at Penn, but she may feel the need for new experience. It’s the next five years and you have to be happy in your environment.