MD & DO Chances for MD/DO for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camng22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior , non-URM, with a 3.55 cgpa and 3.65 sgpa and planning to apply next cycle. I haven't taken the MCATs yet, I'll take it during jan but it'll probably be in the high 20's and maybe a 30-31. My practice MCAT ranges are 26-30 so not sure what I'll get on the real deal. I have an upward trend since freshman year
Freshman- 3.2
Sophomore - 3.4
Junior - 3.6
Senior - got a 4.0 last quarter so expecting it to be above 3.6

My ECs are -
Hospital volunteering at ER - 200 hrs
Hospice volunteering - 80-100 hrs
Shadowing DO - 40 hrs
International Medical Mission Trip during spring break of my sophomore year
Biochemistry research for 1.5 years by the time I apply.No pubs or poster presentations

LORs - only from my DO and PI so I'll probably be seeking for perhaps 1 or 2 more LORs before the time I apply. It may be difficult to obtain more LORs given I only have 2 more quarters before I graduate.

I don't mind DO or low-tier MD but low MD is preferred.. Of course I know it ultimately depends on my MCATs so I'll try my best to get the highest score I can. What do you guys think? Would I have a "good" chance to get into a low tier MD if I obtain say a 29-30 on the MCATs? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd says chances fine for a low-tier MD program, and any DO program.

I don't mind DO or low-tier MD but low MD is preferred.. Of course I know it ultimately depends on my MCATs so I'll try my best to get the highest score I can. What do you guys think? Would I have a "good" chance to get into a low tier MD if I obtain say a 29-30 on the MCATs? Thanks guys.[/quote]

aim 30 for MD. For DO, a 23 will get you in somewhere