Chances at Podiatry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Significant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
l

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
. I plan to take it in April and to purchase a course to study for it.
April 2019?

Application cycle starts this August. If you are done with your undergrad, you can take MCAT later this year and apply this year and you have a good chance of getting in with your GPA.

But make sure you shadow a podiatrist.

DOs are able to match into ortho.

To be honest, if you are scoring that with no studying on the mcat, I wouldn't even bother spending money on a course, let alone books.

Sit your butt down, go to Khan academy, and read through the synopsis things they have in each lesson (they are shortened versions of the videos). Do this for chem and bio. For P/S, google "reddit KA pysch word doc". That's all I used and got a 130 on P/S (i'm not a pysch major lol). Highlight only the main stuff (you'll know when you see it) and don't even read the rest after your first time reading through the ALL of it (only read what you highlighted over and over again).

Do AAMC practice stuff over and over and over. You'll get atleast a 500 doing that. That's plenty for pod school, including plenty for scholarships. Be warned though, I don't believe in the validity of practice exams (even aamc) too much. I got like a 493-501 on all my practice stuff and scored 85th percentile on my actual one :eek:, YMMV.

You can still get into procedural fields as a DO if you want to go to DO school. Just don't mess around too much and try to be above average so you're competitive for those residencies. Your EC's are fine for either pod or DO so don't change that. Just shadow more / podiatry a little bit.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

I was originally going to apply to Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine school so I shadowed an Orthopedic DO. I ended up falling in love with the hands on approach to this find of medicine and have discounted family medicine (what I originally wanted to do). I know as a DO I would definitely not get into orthopedics, so in my opinion Podiatry is a close specialty which overlaps. I was wondering what to do to get in.

cGPA- 3.35
sGPA- 3.22
MCAT (offical AAMC practice)- 498

-I haven't studied yet for the MCAT. I plan to take it in April and to purchase a course to study for it. I was wondering how much higher an MCAT would be needed.

Job shadow:
Radiologist 10 hours
Orthopedist 10 hours

Volunteer:
Youth Basketball 1 season
Project kidsight
Mccrest

Jobs:
Caregiver
others.

Your GPAs are low for DO schools, but good for DO-related Postbaccs.
A score of 495-500 would grant a seat to any of the Pod schools with your current GPAs. A high MCAT score (500+) would increase any scholarship chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPAs are low for DO schools, but good for DO-related Postbaccs.
A score of 495-500 would grant a seat to any of the Pod schools with your current GPAs. A high MCAT score (500+) would increase any scholarship chances.
A scholarship would be great! Thank you for the input. Also I plan to take 12 credits of science this next year (Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetics) if I aced these my Science GPA would be around a 3.33. Or would these courses show up as post-bacc?

To be honest, if you are scoring that with no studying on the mcat, I wouldn't even bother spending money on a course, let alone books.

Sit your butt down, go to Khan academy, and read through the synopsis things they have in each lesson (they are shortened versions of the videos). Do this for chem and bio. For P/S, google "reddit KA pysch word doc". That's all I used and got a 130 on P/S (i'm not a pysch major lol). Highlight only the main stuff (you'll know when you see it) and don't even read the rest after your first time reading through the ALL of it (only read what you highlighted over and over again).

Do AAMC practice stuff over and over and over. You'll get atleast a 500 doing that. That's plenty for pod school, including plenty for scholarships. Be warned though, I don't believe in the validity of practice exams (even aamc) too much. I got like a 493-501 on all my practice stuff and scored 85th percentile on my actual one :eek:, YMMV.

You can still get into procedural fields as a DO if you want to go to DO school. Just don't mess around too much and try to be above average so you're competitive for those residencies. Your EC's are fine for either pod or DO so don't change that. Just shadow more / podiatry a little bit.
Congrats on the 85th percentile! I used khan academy a lot for undergraduate so thanks for reminding me to re-use those that. I actually bought an old 2015 physics kaplan MCAT book from ebay a few weeks ago and tryed studying it for a couple nights but it wasn't doing the trick. I just had my graduation party, and got some cash so I will definitely need to invest in some of that AAMC practice stuff.
:zip:

OP, if you want Ortho, go to MD school and boss everything. DOs will really be regulated to primary care, EM, maybe gen surge and anathesia.

OP, if you want Ortho, go to MD school and boss everything. DOs will really be regulated to primary care, EM, maybe gen surge and anathesia.
Everything falls into line, I just graduated and my GPA is what it is so MD school is not where I will end up.