Chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sspharmy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished writing my personal statement, so I'm curious to see where I stand.

GPA: 3.50 (hand calculated pharmcas GPA including 1 F and 2 C+'s)
Degree: Bachelors in Biology
PCAT: 94% [98 Bio, 96 Chem]
ECs: Clinic volunteer (2012 to present, 300+ hours)
Hospital volunteer (1 summer, 120 hours)
Certified English literacy tutor ( summers only, 70 hours)
Licensed pharmacy technician (may 2016 to present)

LORs will be from clinic director, developmental biology professor, and manager of the pharmacy where i work (UofM COP alumni).

Looking to apply to Michigan schools (Wayne State, U of M, Ferris State)
I'm not interested in schools outside of Michigan. My dad is nearing the end of his life so I'd like to stay close to home + my fiancé has a job here and likely won't be able to transfer anywhere.

I failed cell biology the semester my dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness. After that GPA shot upward and I've been on the deans list every semester since (3 years, 6 semesters). I retook Cell bio a year after failing at the same school with the same teacher and received an A. Since Cell biology, all of my grades have been A's or A-'s with the exception of ochem I lecture (B+), Physics II lecture (B+), Evolution (B+), and Analytical Chemistry lecture (B).
Also, retook the C+s and got A's in them as well. calculated GPA includes all grades -- originals and replacements.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With your GPA and PCAT scores you shouldn't have any problem getting into any pharmacy school. Best of lucks to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I think with your stats and experience, you should be fine. If you apply early when apps open, your chance would be great

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished writing my personal statement, so I'm curious to see where I stand.

GPA: 3.50 (hand calculated pharmcas GPA including 1 F and 2 C+'s)
Degree: Bachelors in Biology
PCAT: 94% [98 Bio, 96 Chem]
ECs: Clinic volunteer (2012 to present, 300+ hours)
Hospital volunteer (1 summer, 120 hours)
Certified English literacy tutor ( summers only, 70 hours)
Licensed pharmacy technician (may 2016 to present)

LORs will be from clinic director, developmental biology professor, and manager of the pharmacy where i work (UofM COP alumni).

Looking to apply to Michigan schools (Wayne State, U of M, Ferris State)
I'm not interested in schools outside of Michigan. My dad is nearing the end of his life so I'd like to stay close to home + my fiancé has a job here and likely won't be able to transfer anywhere.

I failed cell biology the semester my dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness. After that GPA shot upward and I've been on the deans list every semester since (3 years, 6 semesters). I retook Cell bio a year after failing at the same school with the same teacher and received an A. Since Cell biology, all of my grades have been A's or A-'s with the exception of ochem I lecture (B+), Physics II lecture (B+), Evolution (B+), and Analytical Chemistry lecture (B).
Also, retook the C+s and got A's in them as well. calculated GPA includes all grades -- originals and replacements.

Your father may be terminally ill, but for your long term sake, I suggest you apply to at least 2-3 programs out of state, perhaps neighboring Michigan. Applying to school is a lot like love, you could be a great catch, but your interest just doesn't find you appealing despite whatever qualifications you have. Best not to put all of your efforts into 3 schools.

Normally I would agree with the person above and tbh it wouldnt hurt to apply elsewhere but you will for sure get into ferris state and wayne state. I live in michigan and my friend applied to wayne state for regular admission last year with stats much lower than yours and was interviewed & ultimately denied because she didnt want to retake classes so she's starting at ferris in the fall.

my GPA is similar to yours and our composite, bio, and chem scores for the pcat are the same. The only difference is I have less pharmacy experience and a little more volunteer experience. I met with ferris state admissions and they basically said I am over qualified and they would love to have me if I apply. As long as your interview goes decent, you will get into wayne/ferris.

Are you doing early decision and for what school?

Last edited:
Your father may be terminally ill, but for your long term sake, I suggest you apply to at least 2-3 programs out of state, perhaps neighboring Michigan. Applying to school is a lot like love, you could be a great catch, but your interest just doesn't find you appealing despite whatever qualifications you have. Best not to put all of your efforts into 3 schools.

You're 100% right. If I don't accepted into an early decision program, I'll likely be applying to closer schools in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. For now though, my priority is Michigan schools.

Normally I would agree with the person above and tbh it wouldnt hurt to apply elsewhere but you will for sure get into ferris state and wayne state. I live in michigan and my friend applied to wayne state for regular admission last year with stats much lower than yours and was interviewed & ultimately denied because she didnt want to retake classes so she's starting at ferris in the fall.

my GPA is similar to yours and our composite, bio, and chem scores for the pcat are the same. The only difference is I have less pharmacy experience and a little more volunteer experience. I met with ferris state admissions and they basically said I am over qualified and they would love to have me if I apply. As long as your interview goes decent, you will get into wayne/ferris.

Are you doing early decision and for what school?

I'm applying early decision to U of M.

Last edited: