Chance me for 7/8 year programs?

penaddict

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a hs senior and just wanted to get a feel where I have chances of getting accepted...
I am interested in accelerated program at UPITT (top choice) rutgers, tcnj, brown (PLME) and regular premed course at johns hopkins, upenn, columbia, duke, chapel hill, dartmouth (really interested), yale (really interested), harvard, vanderbilt

personal stats
-35 act
-SAT II: 800 math, 790 bio, 790 chem, 770 physics
-9 total APs: bio, calc BC, comp sci, english1, english 2, chem, stat, french, physics
-volunteering (100+ hours at hospital, at hindi school/indian organization, some town community service)
-VP/past secretary of waksman program (research course at school), chief editior/ past editor of science honor society
-in math team, math honor society, national honor society, science honor society, science bowl, waksman, science olympiad
-summer research internship at Rutgers at neurology lab
-2nd in brain bee at regionals rutgers, some science olympiad awards, one hindi poetry award, drawing award, dance for basically all my life, some AMC/AIME stuff/math tournaments (not particularly too well)
-4.6 weighted gpa and top 5-10% of class

so far...
-deferred from harvard
-accepted to UPITT undergrad w/full tuition scholarship
-accepted to NJIT undergrad + got BS/MD interview (have any tips for the interview?)

thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn you should definitely get into many of those schools. Your solid.
Just make sure you do mock interviews for the interviews your going to have

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do an accelerated program if you are getting into four year undergrads with full tuition or have shot at ivies. Enjoy yourself four years, try lots of things and do med school in the normal pace. Medicine is not for everyone and giving yourself a few extra years of college to try other things is simply a good idea. The light at the end of this tunnel is a train and there's no good reason to rush toward it any faster than you need to. Plus you'll have more choices of med schools if you look at regular programs.

Accelerated sounds good to high school students but once you get on this road of lifelong learning you realize that you are never really going to be done and all you accomplish in an accelerated program is skipping some of the good parts of the journey. It's the journey that counts, not the destination. Sort of like taking a vacation through all of Europe, but skipping England and France so you can finish the trip a few days sooner.

Don't do an accelerated program if you are getting into four year undergrads with full tuition or have shot at ivies. Enjoy yourself four years, try lots of things and do med school in the normal pace. Medicine is not for everyone and giving yourself a few extra years of college to try other things is simply a good idea. The light at the end of this tunnel is a train and there's no good reason to rush toward it any faster than you need to. Plus you'll have more choices of med schools if you look at regular programs.

Accelerated sounds good to high school students but once you get on this road of lifelong learning you realize that you are never really going to be done and all you accomplish in an accelerated program is skipping some of the good parts of the journey. It's the journey that counts, not the destination. Sort of like taking a vacation through all of Europe, but skipping England and France so you can finish the trip a few days sooner.

I typically would recommend the opposite, but based on what the OP wrote, I'd suggest not doing an accelerated program as well.

Accelerated programs typically look for extensive medical/scientific research backgrounds, in addition to fantastic grades. Hate to say it, but you're probably average at best for one of these programs.

Reactions: 1 user

I am not really focused on the accelerated part of the program. I would like to have a guarantee in medical school so I can enjoy my college life. Yes, I will work hard (I did go to a super competitive school and never felt too stressed and did fine). Plus, my top choices are UPITT's and Brown's programs which are 8 years in length.