Chance for 7/8 year programs

behindthesteelcurtain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! This is my first post on here. I just finished my junior year of high school and I was just wondering what my chances are of getting into various 7 and 8 year guaranteed medical programs:

SAT: 1510 single sitting, 1530 superscore (1600 scale)

SAT II: 720 Math, 720 Bio M

GPA: 3.95 (3.47 unweighted)

Volunteering: running my own redcross blood drive (6,7,8,9,10,11,12), special Olympics (7,8,9,10,11,12), community service with the mentally challenged (7,8,9,10,11,12)

Experience: Shadowing a physician (internal medicine) (11,12), Shadowing a radiologist (9,10,11,12), Shadowing a NICU doctor (11,12), Medical assistant (11,12)
Side note: I also applied to join my local ems crew. However, I have no research experience

Extracurricular: 3 year junior Varsity wrestler (8,9,10)

AP's taken: Bio (3), Psych (4), Physics 1 (3), Enviro (next year), Stat (next year)

I am not applying to any top tier or super competitive programs because I know I will not get in. My top choices right now are the 8 year programs at Drexel and Hofstra

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am interested in programs like these too! At Depaul they offer direct admission if you maintain a 3.5 your first year, you should apply! Please pm for more questions

Back in the day, I applied to SLU's medical scholar program (8-year conditional acceptance), UMKC's BA/MD program (6-year combined program), as well as UAB's BS/MD program (7-8 year combined program). Check these out.

I was accepted at the first two, and wait listed at UAB.

I don't know how the new SAT works. What percentile are you? Your unweighted GPA may be a bit low for these programs, but you may still be fine. I'm no expert in gauging high school academic success vs. combined programs, though. lol. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Back in the day, I applied to SLU's medical scholar program (8-year conditional acceptance), UMKC's BA/MD program (6-year combined program), as well as UAB's BS/MD program (7-8 year combined program). Check these out.

I was accepted at the first two, and wait listed at UAB.

I don't know how the new SAT works. What percentile are you? Your unweighted GPA may be a bit low for these programs, but you may still be fine. I'm no expert in gauging high school academic success vs. combined programs, though. lol. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck!
For the new SAT, my 1510 is in the 98th percentile and my 1530 is between the 98th-99th. I was planning on applying to the UMKC 6-year program as well. If you don't mind me asking, what were your GPA and extracurriculars like, and why did you choose SLU over UMKC?

That's a really good SAT score. My SAT was ~2100 on the old scale; I don't remember what percentile it was, but it was definitely not above 90%. I ended up not even using my SAT, so honestly it was just a waste of time and money for me, lol.

My GPA was a 4.0 (unweighted), and a 4.3-ish (weighted). My ACT was a 34 (out of 36)(99th or 100th percentile I think), and I used my ACT to apply to all programs.

My EC's weren't as great as yours. I had plenty of clinical volunteering, but very little shadowing. I was in a bunch of random clubs/organizations during high school, but I'm sure you are too. I played basketball and was in band for 4 years. Nothing too special. Also, no research either.

I chose SLU over UMKC because of two main reasons:
1. I didn't want to be tied down to a specific school. I could always apply out of SLU's conditional acceptance, but I can't apply out of UMKC's combined program.
2. I didn't want to be studying 24/7, and I actually wanted to have an undergraduate experience. Getting to be an M.D. at the age of 24 sounds great, but you have to realize you'll be working for the rest of your life. There's no need to rush this process. Enjoy college. Party a little, rush a frat/sorority, join a bunch of clubs/organizations, and make some lifelong friends. You'll never be able to experience college again after you're done.

EDIT: Just wanted to add a bit more about the specifics of each program.
1. At UMKC, its a two step process, much like an actual medical school application. First, you're screened for an interview. If you are invited for an interview (it's an MMI format BTW), you are then screened for acceptance.
2. At SLU, there is no initial screening for an interview; you either get accepted or rejected.
3. I think you should be competitive at both of these programs. There were many people in my program that had lower ACT's/GPAs than me. I also saw many applicants with higher statistics than me get rejected at UMKC.

Last edited:
That's a really good SAT score. My SAT was ~2100 on the old scale; I don't remember what percentile it was, but it was definitely not above 90%. I ended up not even using my SAT, so honestly it was just a waste of time and money for me, lol.

My GPA was a 4.0 (unweighted), and a 4.3-ish (weighted). My ACT was a 34 (out of 36)(99th or 100th percentile I think), and I used my ACT to apply to all programs.

My EC's weren't as great as yours. I had plenty of clinical volunteering, but very little shadowing. I was in a bunch of random clubs/organizations during high school, but I'm sure you are too. I played basketball and was in band for 4 years. Nothing too special. Also, no research either.

I chose SLU over UMKC because of two main reasons:
1. I didn't want to be tied down to a specific school. I could always apply out of SLU's conditional acceptance, but I can't apply out of UMKC's combined program.
2. I didn't want to be studying 24/7, and I actually wanted to have an undergraduate experience. Getting to be an M.D. at the age of 24 sounds great, but you have to realize you'll be working for the rest of your life. There's no need to rush this process. Enjoy college. Party a little, rush a frat/sorority, join a bunch of clubs/organizations, and make some lifelong friends. You'll never be able to experience college again after you're done.

EDIT: Just wanted to add a bit more about the specifics of each program.
1. At UMKC, its a two step process, much like an actual medical school application. First, you're screened for an interview. If you are invited for an interview (it's an MMI format BTW), you are then screened for acceptance.
2. At SLU, there is no initial screening for an interview; you either get accepted or rejected.
3. I think you should be competitive at both of these programs. There were many people in my program that had lower ACT's/GPAs than me. I also saw many applicants with higher statistics than me get rejected at UMKC.
Thanks for the advice! Your input was really helpful and definitely eased my nerves a bit!

I was also accepted to multiple BS/MD programs, but chose to attend a top undergraduate institution instead for various reasons.

These programs place heavy emphasis on numbers and then on experiences. Your GPA is on the lower side, but hopefully your competitive SAT score can help you make the interview cut.

Do you have any clinical volunteering hours? I rememeber being asked a lot about my experiences and patient interactions during interviews. I'd get started on that asap. Research experience is not required except for RPI/Albany and probably highly recommended for the top programs at Brown/Baylor/Pitt.

I'd apply to multiple Drexel programs (they had ~15 when I was applying). That gives you multiple attempts through one application. If Sienna/Albany still exists, they value service which you have a lot of. Id also apply to Union/Albany which focuses on leadership in medicine. I'd also add Sophie Davis, temple, Penn state, Rutgers, Brooklyn, UAB.

Applying to BS/MDs is a time consuming process, but even if you don't get in or don't attend, it's a great way to get experience with personal statements, interview prep, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Just apply to as many as you can and hope for the best. If I could go back in a machine, I would have pursued this option more vigorously as it would have saved me a lot of trouble and uncertainty down the line.

Is anyone here in early opportunity program at Depaul? If so, just want to find out in general how is it. Is the program legit? Also, any stats like roughly how many students are offered early opportunity program and how many actually matriculate to RFU Med school.

A 2100 on the old SAT was in the 96th percentile . . .