Chance at top programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XWISBU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 250+ on step 1, top 5% of my class. Have absolutely no research, however. How much does this impact my chances of landing at a top program in the Midwest/ East Coast? (My desire to work on some meaningless research project for a month is missing, but I think a year dedicated to research could be productive and fulfilling)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 250+ on step 1, top 5% of my class. Have absolutely no research, however. How much does this impact my chances of landing at a top program in the Midwest/ East Coast? (My desire to work on some meaningless research project for a month is missing, but I think a year dedicated to research could be productive and fulfilling)

You'll be fine. If you're an MS3 it's not too late to get your name on a little retrospective study or something. Ask around. Otherwise, if you're not interested, you should still be competitive for a spot at a top program with your credentials. On the interview trail, you can always say that you have interest in research but felt it would be more productive to do it during residency so it would be relevant to your field. Be sure to get some strong letters from well known urologists. In my own experience, the most important parts of your application are: Step 1, AOA or grades, Letters. Research is gravy if you've got it but only really makes a big impact if it is significant.

I would HIGHLY recommend research if you have the time to do it. I had very similar stats (top 5%, 255+/260+, junior AOA, no research) and was not offered interviews at some of the top programs in the areas you're describing (CCF, Northwestern, Hopkins, Cornell). However, a strong away rotation DONE EARLY with good letters (that will make ERAS) is more valuable then research. As people say, urology is a small field, and it's often about who you know.

And if you decide research isn't for you, don't worry. I interviewed at most other top programs to which I applied.