How many programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urothrowaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks all for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to every single program. Your numbers and research sound great. But guess what every applicant has similar number and scores. Almost everyone I know applied to 100+ programs. The worst thing that happens is you have to turn interviews down if you truly are that good. But I know lots of kids with 250's 260s that didn't get interviews at places they thought they would. Med school is expensive. Now isn't the time to be cheap. Current uro resident.

I disagree. I have relatively similar background as OP. I applied to ~45 programs this past year and received ~35 interviews - way more than I could possibly attend. These include the research-intensive west coast programs (e.g. UCLA, UCSF, USC, Stanford, UW) even though I have no ties to west coast whatsoever and didn't do any aways in that region. In retrospect I would probably have applied to ~25 programs.

But, you never know in advance how many interviews you will get, so it's always better to err on the side of caution IMO. I think if you apply to similar number I did (40-45) you will get plenty of interviews. You can always turn down interview offers, and this is not the time to skimp.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Agree that around 40 would probably be adequate with your stats and application. No reason to spend an extra couple thousand bucks.

Reactions: 1 user