cGPA of 3.58, sGPA of 3.55. How high on the MCAT would I need to score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ve heard that you’re allowed to pick a class you’ve done terribly in and explain why on applications (in the case of last semester with the 2.98, I was ill on an exam day and couldn’t even finish the test, got a 36%. Tried my best but couldn’t do much as we only get 3 exams for a total of 70% of our grade, ended up with the C-) Would this help much? It’s pretty much the reason for the abysmal 2.98, although I understand the semester prior wasn’t too great either.
Where did you hear this, and why do you think one grade in a 4 year academic career would make or break a med school application? Assuming what you heard is even correct, I could see it being relevant to explain a single C- in a record that otherwise comprises all As with a B or two mixed in.

In your case, moving your C- to an A would have a negligible impact on your GPA, from maybe a 3.58 to 3.61, right? Given the rest of your record, you really can't make the case that it would have been an A if not for your misfortune, so what exactly would you be explaining anyway, how your C- might have otherwise been a B, and your 3.58 should really be considered a 3.59?

Your problem isn't one grade; it's a 4 year uneven but downward trend combined with a non-stellar overall GPA. The mean GPA for all matriculants is 3.72; in CA it's 3.77. Even without the downward trend you'd be at a disadvantage. You only had one semester in seven where you broke above the mean.

Yes, pick a grade and explain away. I don't see how it would move the needle one way or the other.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Scribing more valuable and high yield unless you're shooting for a really high MCAT.
I am curious; why would the high mcat make research more valuable? Does this make him more competitive for the higher ranked schools where research is more valued?

Reactions: 1 users
I am curious; why would the high mcat make research more valuable? Does this make him more competitive for the higher ranked schools where research is more valued?
Yup

I’d recommend a DIY postbacc. I don’t think that you are up enough of a creek to need an SMP and in any event it will be much less expensive. Put a couple semesters of 3.7+ behind you in upper level science classes and adcoms’ doubts about your academic chops will be put soundly to bed.