Certification EMT-B/I in Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omniatlas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get certified in Boston over the summer? I've checked out Northeastern but their rates are kind of hefty -- are there any community colleges or fire-services offering classes?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

hi
i took my EMT class at Boston University which was about 800 bucks, but it was a good class... there is also a class at Mass Bay Community College although i dont know how much that is... good luck!

Bridgewater State College is off the MBTA if you wanna check that out. Not sure if you are really interested in the trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.mass.gov/dph/oems/emt/emtbasic_course.htm

has the listings of all the courses in the massachusetts area. i took the BU one (now $850ish), but that includes the book.

this list isn't perfectly accurate- the MIT one doesn't really exist...and i've been told that there is a tufts one, but i'm not 100% sure.

i have my recommendations for employers as well, if you wind up getting certified here and want to work here.

e

emtji said:
http://www.mass.gov/dph/oems/emt/emtbasic_course.htm

has the listings of all the courses in the massachusetts area. i took the BU one (now $850ish), but that includes the book.

this list isn't perfectly accurate- the MIT one doesn't really exist...and i've been told that there is a tufts one, but i'm not 100% sure.

i have my recommendations for employers as well, if you wind up getting certified here and want to work here.

e

Thanks, I will check it out. BTW, have any of you served/volunteered at a fire department? Would there be additional training required, i.e. more then an EMT-B required.

Thanks

there aren't volunteer fire dept's around any big city.... it's too busy everywhere for that. you'd have to go to western mass/nh border to find a volunteer dept if they exist.

as for paid positions, it's incredibly difficult to get on any fire dept around boston....they're searching for career people- full timers, etc.

just go for one of the private services... i loved the time i spent at cataldo ambulance service (family owned, small company)

bunch of 911 contracts- about 50/50 emergency/ transfers. they're not really hiring inexperienced bls these days, but the premed helps....and it's definately a worthwhile experience. great company. wish i had the time to continue working there.

Have you heard of anybody that's hiring in the Boston area ??? I've been looking for about three weeks, only to get turned away...granted, I have no experience, but ..... :(

there's suh high turnover, they all hire all the time... cept boston ems and cataldo.

try
general ambulance- based out of south boston
armstrong- medfordish
amr- (sucky pay) bostonish
fallon (bostonish)

they're all primarily transfer companies though. i'd try my luck at cataldo.
617-625-0126. ask for human resources.

I worked at both fallon and cataldo, you will probably most definately get hired by fallon with zero experience. After a year I switched to cataldo (yes it is definately much much better than fallon in terms of experience) But fallon is an easy place to start and get comfortable with your skills. For the first six months they try and put you with more experienced people so your chances of seeing emergencies is higher...after that you are most likely the most "experienced" person so you end up driving and not seeing much. All these companies have websites...try googling.

Armstrong is kind of like fallon, you have a "slight" chance of seeing emergencies since those companies do hold some 911 contracts but mostly the paramedics handle it.

General, AMR, Easecare, and most other private services in the area have Zero 911 contracts..which means you have zero chance of seeing emergencies unless your dialysis patient suddenly develops problems.

Random info: MIT's does exist but you are only eligible to take it if you are MIT affliliated and its only offered during the January term.

What about Fallon's online application ??? Does it even work ??? I submitted it three weeks ago, and right after submitting it said they'd call within a week. Three weeks later, nothing. I know the rest of the Ambulance companies around here aren't hiring anymore (well...except for Cataldo...haven't tried my luck there yet) Any of you work for Fallon and could find out ???

Thanks

Fallon is based out of Milton, MA. On the "south shore", just outside of Boston. They hold the Emergency contract for Quincy, Weymouth, and Braintree (at least), but I'm pretty sure you have to be a medic to work those. As far as getting certified, there is a place in Quincy Center right off the Quincy Center stop on the Red Line that offers EMS training. I think it's called Emergency Medical Education. (it's back behind the movie theatre if anyone knows the quincy center area), I don't remember their exact name. I do know a couple guys that I went to college with worked Part time at Fallon's and got to do like you said about 50/50 emergency/transfer stuff... (I never got to b/c I didn't have time to get reciprocity from my NY license while doing pre-med requirements). Hope this helps a little. Best of luck.

Jon

I know you posted this a while ago, I just finshed my B course on June 12th and have already filed with the state for my exam, I went to Center for Medical Education in Charlton, the course cost is only $535.00 and that includes your books. The owner/instructer has been an emt for 18 years a medic for 16.. he is really good. He has a class starting soon, he is now accepting applications he does have a web site, its cme-training i think. His I course starts in January. I hope this is some use to you. have a goodnight.
Lisa

the exact name of the place that jonb12997 was talking about is eastern medical educators...they have more than one training place i think but the main one is in quincy. i worked for both fallon and cataldo, definately be proactive and contact the HR departments if you dont hear back on your application. If your aggressive about wanting the job you'll have an easier time getting one. good luck :)

Yeah I took my class a couple years ago with Ray Levy @ Boston Univ for about $800 as well. Its a very good class though, well known among all the ambulance companies. I worked last year for Armstrong Ambulance in Brighton (although they have other bases)... I'd say it was about 80% non-emergency transfers, 15% bogus emergencies, and 5% awesome cool test-your-skills calls. Go to Cataldo or Boston EMS if you want some real experience. Armstrong IS really laid back though, and really easy with scheduling.. so that might be a plus for you.

IM me on "foosternit" if you have any specific questions...

I may be moving to the area, and I am just curious to see if the State of MA accepts the national EMT certificate. My instructor in Illinois says that not all states accept the national EMT certficate, and I will have to check with an individual state.

Also, if yes, besides working with a private ambulance company, can you work as an ER tech at the hospital? How do the hospitals like General Mass and Brigham Women's hire certified EMT as ER techs? Do they begin to volunteer and then get hired after a while? Or do they take only EMTs who get referred by nearby EMT agencies (i.e. BU and MIT EMT training agencies, etc) Any certified EMT who has done this or has heard of anything about this?

CP

Cold Penguin said:
I may be moving to the area, and I am just curious to see if the State of MA accepts the national EMT certificate. My instructor in Illinois says that not all states accept the national EMT certficate, and I will have to check with an individual state.

Also, if yes, besides working with a private ambulance company, can you work as an ER tech at the hospital? How do the hospitals like General Mass and Brigham Women's hire certified EMT as ER techs? Do they begin to volunteer and then get hired after a while? Or do they take only EMTs who get referred by nearby EMT agencies (i.e. BU and MIT EMT training agencies, etc) Any certified EMT who has done this or has heard of anything about this?

CP

Check this out:

www.mass.gov/dph/oems

for the answer to your reciprocity questions.

As for the hospitals --> All of their listings say they want you to be an EMT. However, I have been an EMT for quite some time now (granted, since I got certified, nobody, NOBODY, in the Boston area has been hiring EMTs), been volunteering at the BI, and still can't get their job. They claim they want related experience (which I would have thought my volunteer job would have taken care of...)

Anyway, look around.....the Ambulance companies around here are BOUND to start hiring soon (at least I sure hope they do.. :scared: )

Also...having gone through the BU program (strongly recommend it to anyone looking for an EMT program in the Boston area) I can tell you that they don't really recommend places to work, nor really recommend you to other places -- much. The lead instructor does work for an Ambulance company, and there are more BU students working for ambulance companies in Boston than there are students from other universities.....but I would almost say it's due to a lack of EMT programs at other schools (Tufts has one, I know, but Northeastern's is a ways away from their ugrad campus -- not accessible by the T)

HTH