Central Line Placement Gems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ministry

Intern
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some good tips/secrets with regards to central line placement? At my hospital they love to call on the surgery interns/residents to get lines going, and would love to hear of anyone's experiences. I'm particularly leary of IJ placement, and at this point would probably tend to go subclavian, however, I know that with IJ there is less chance of PTX complications.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ministry said:
Does anyone have some good tips/secrets with regards to central line placement? At my hospital they love to call on the surgery interns/residents to get lines going, and would love to hear of anyone's experiences. I'm particularly leary of IJ placement, and at this point would probably tend to go subclavian, however, I know that with IJ there is less chance of PTX complications.

Thanks

Palpate the carotid; go lateral to it.

- Ignore anyone who tells you to "hub" the dilator
- Ignore anyone who asks you to place a central line in a patient in whom a good peripheral will do. Central lines can kill. You don't want to be explaining the patient's death (or very least, morbid complication) when you placed the line for IV fluids.
- If you meet resistance, stop.
- The best line is the one you are most comfortable with and is the safest for the patient. Do not be scared of subclavians if that is what you do best.
- Checking the xray is YOUR responsibility, not the nurses or the primary service. Your procedure, your potential complications.
- If your patient has large breasts or a lot of central obesity, have someone pull/push the tissues out of the way when doing a subclavian. Same goes for pannus retraction in femoral lines.
- Pulling down the ipsilateral arm can make the subclavian access easier (have an assistant help with this).
- Place a pad under the patient's head/neck/chest - the nurses hate it if you bloody their newly changed sheets.
-If you are exchanging a large bore introducer for a smaller multi-lumen catheter, you may need to suture the skin extrance point around the catheter; otherwise you will get called when it leaks. The hematoma will develop around the vessel, but should be small and contained.

There are lots more, but I haven't the time right now. I'm sure others will post.

Members don't see this ad :)
get a portable ultrasound unit and cheat....

or learn the hard way.... by the way, pneumothorax is part of the risks, and you will learn how to put in chest tubes

1) Subclavian: palpate the clavicle - find the middle third. Walk under the clavicle w/ your thin-wall while keeping negative pressure in the syringe - KEEP THE SYRINGE/NEEDLE axis parallel to the ground and point the needle towards the sternal notch.

2) IJ: turn the head to the side (not too much as the tension can collapse the vein), use a bit of t-burg... palpate the carotid, use a finder needle and go lateral (i usually am at the level of the thyroid cartilage if not a bit higher). I like to use 18gauge angiocaths instead of the thin-wall, because as soon as i get venous return I can thread the 18g angiocath into the vein - pull the needle out and thread the wire through the angiocath (minimizes the amount of trauma from the needle - especially in a moving target patient). or when i am really anal i will attach a non-compliant extension tubing to the angiocath and observe venous vs arterial return...

you can still get a PTX w/ IJs if you are too low....

Thanks! I'm sure there are lots of good hints, and we've all learned by trial-by-fire, too.

Do you guys 'gown' completely? Including face mask and cap? I have been taught in the past that this should be the standard, but I've seen some go without mask and cap and just use the gown.

If you meet resistance, stop.

Bears repeating.

pneumothoraces are inconvenient, but generally fixable. the various weird/morbid central line complicaitons I have seen generally involve continuing in the face of inappropriate resistance.

Just for fun - I have seen

IVC filter hooked and pulled into subclavian upon wire withdrawal
Cordis placed into the vertebral artery
"Anterior Thoracentesis" - subclavian central line placed into pleural effusion
Line tip in various ectopic vessels
Subclavian line tip in IJ

The last one in particlar is pretty common. If everything goes fine and the (subclavian) wire advances nicely, but you get resistance at 20-30cm - it has flipped into the IJ rather than the SVC. Withdraw the wire and readvance .

Ministry said:
Thanks! I'm sure there are lots of good hints, and we've all learned by trial-by-fire, too.

Do you guys 'gown' completely? Including face mask and cap? I have been taught in the past that this should be the standard, but I've seen some go without mask and cap and just use the gown.

Interesting...if I have foregone anything, its been the gown, not the cap or mask.

As of late, the Infectious Disease "Club Clean" project has nurses reporting on whether we do the procedure in full sterile precautions. When presenting the project to the surgical teams, there was a big laugh when the ID fellow talked about the "assistant". They had no idea that many times the nurses leave the room and the resident is placing the line alone. Goes to show what happens when the "ivory tower" designs protocols which may have no or little basis in reality.

But yes, cap, gown, mask, gloves is the standard.

the gowning issue depends on the urgency issue as well... i placed many lines in the OR emergently with just regular gloves and a quick splash of betadine... of course if they survived to make it to the ICU I would then change the line over or do a new stick with proper gowning...

*Keep the needle parallel to the ground. NEVER start pointing it downwards, towards the ground.
*To "walk" the needle down the clavicle, push down with your nondominant hand at the point where the needle enters the skin.
*Inject lidocaine to numb the clavicle as well as soft tissue.
*If you can't get the line in one side, DO NOT try the other side without checking a chest x-ray first (you don't want to drop both lungs!).
*Have everything set up before you gown and glove, especially if you're by yourself - you don't want to fumble around.
*When gowning, snap the neck part on first before putting your arms through the sleeves - that way you can proceed without help, if necessary.
*Get those one-way valve caps. Much better.
*Place a towel roll between the shoulder blades to better expose the subclavian vein.
*If there's any doubt about whether the aspirated blood is arterial or venous, ASSUME IT'S ARTERIAL.

On a related note, anyone ever seen a supraclavian line put in during a code? Awesome stuff - keeps the sharps away from the person doing chest compressions. An ER resident showed me this.

Hey there,
My best gem is to double-glove on all lines. If you contaminate a glove accidently, you can slip it off and keep on going.

Use a micropuncture kit whenever possible especially when placing the large hemodialysis catheters. I have had no hematomas using the micropuncture kits.

njbmd :)

Blade28 said:
*Keep the needle parallel to the ground. NEVER start pointing it downwards, towards the ground.
*To "walk" the needle down the clavicle, push down with your nondominant hand at the point where the needle enters the skin.
*Inject lidocaine to numb the clavicle as well as soft tissue.
*If you can't get the line in one side, DO NOT try the other side without checking a chest x-ray first (you don't want to drop both lungs!).
*Have everything set up before you gown and glove, especially if you're by yourself - you don't want to fumble around.
*When gowning, snap the neck part on first before putting your arms through the sleeves - that way you can proceed without help, if necessary.
*Get those one-way valve caps. Much better.
*Place a towel roll between the shoulder blades to better expose the subclavian vein.
*If there's any doubt about whether the aspirated blood is arterial or venous, ASSUME IT'S ARTERIAL.

On a related note, anyone ever seen a supraclavian line put in during a code? Awesome stuff - keeps the sharps away from the person doing chest compressions. An ER resident showed me this.

I probably haven't done as many central lines as these folks, but from my limited experience I think one of the KEY things is keeping the needle parallel! And of course use ultrasound, but I know some places don't have that readily available, which is a shame.

Ultrasound is good, but you *need* to know how to do this without an ultrasound.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, especially in the beginning.

For those of us working with well-intentioned but absent nurses, make sure you grab everything before you start. Hint- tape a 50cc bag of saline to the light/bedside monitor, etc.. take off the injection port cover so that you can get your flush without help in an aseptic manner. This combined with the above mentioned neck-snap-before-sleeve-thing will allow you to do this by yourself. You will need to do this when:
1. Nurses are doing CPR on another patient
2. Nurses are giving emergency medications to another patient
3. Nurses are trying to open the damn Pyxis machine
4. Nurses are discussing the latest episode of Desperate Housewives
5. Nurses are eating their dinner
6. Nurses are sitting on their fat a$$ watching you struggle with your gown/flush/line
7. Nurses are doing any combination of above

Change lines as soon as possible if the line was placed in emergent/less than ideal situations.

Subclavians seem to stay uninfected for quite a bit longer than IJs, and I believe the data supports me on this. IJ lines seem to collect food/secretions/other interesting face crap inside the tegaderm.

Funny story last week
The "Meditrons" were having trouble with a line placement and they asked me for some help- They had been trying to get an IJ line for about 45 mintues using ultrasound. I was surprised to notice they were using absolutely perfect sterile technique. So I gowned up, palpated the landmarks, and grabbed the ultrasound probe. Then I noticed the probe was completely bare.... no probe cover, nothing.

Ahh, Meditrons. Almost as slick as ER residents

I saw a neat trick for getting your flushes when you're alone:

Take a couple 10 cc bottles of saline and a 10-20 cc bottle of heparin flush and using some tape, tape them to the edge of the bedside stand, uncapped, next to your sterile supplies so that the bedside table is "holding" your bottles for you in case an assistant isn't available. Of course do this before you gown up.

Members don't see this ad :)
njbmd said:
Use a micropuncture kit whenever possible especially when placing the large hemodialysis catheters. I have had no hematomas using the micropuncture kits.

I've never heard of or seen a micropuncture kit....intriguing.

However, I've seen the use of a 21g needle on a 3cc syringe to use as a "finder" and then once you're in, then taking the larger (18g?) needle and accessing the vein directly next to (so that the needles are touching) the small needle, almost in the same hole, then removing the 21g and proceeding w/ the 18g and the guide wire, etc.

Dr Cox said:
Ignore anyone who asks you to place a central line in a patient in whom a good peripheral will do. Central lines can kill. You don't want to be explaining the patient's death (or very least, morbid complication) when you placed the line for IV fluids.

Do you have any trusty "secret" locations for good peripheral access? Mine is on the posterior aspect of the forearm medial to the ulna. I've had the patient sit with their arm bent and resting on a pillow across their stomach with a tourniquet proximal to the elbow, with the posterior arm exposed so you can see. Occasionally there's one there.

I don't understand the big deal about having your saline flushes ready - once the central line kit is open, just squirt 30-40 cc of sterile saline into the tray. Then you can aspirate it up into a 10 cc syringe when you're done.

I've never used ultrasound at the bedside - just hasn't occurred to me. I wouldn't even know where to find one (besides the trauma bay). I've seen lots of medicine residents/attendings do this though.

And the tip about keeping the needle parallel may sound obvious, but you won't believe how many pneumothoraces develop from people being a little overzealous...especially in a patient who's obese.

Blade28 said:
I don't understand the big deal about having your saline flushes ready - once the central line kit is open, just squirt 30-40 cc of sterile saline into the tray. Then you can aspirate it up into a 10 cc syringe when you're done.

I've never used ultrasound at the bedside - just hasn't occurred to me. I wouldn't even know where to find one (besides the trauma bay). I've seen lots of medicine residents/attendings do this though.

And the tip about keeping the needle parallel may sound obvious, but you won't believe how many pneumothoraces develop from people being a little overzealous...especially in a patient who's obese.

Hi there,
I squirt about 30-40 ml of sterile saline in my tray before I start. I also flush my line with the saline too. When I learned to do central lines, I learned to gown, glove, squirt saline and therefore never need an assistant.

I have never had a pneumo (knock on wood) and I have never used ultrasound to place a line. As I stated in my previous post, if I can't get in with a Micropuncture kit, the vessel cannot be cannulated. Our ORs stock the Micropuncture kits for the vascular surgeons. The wire is very thin and the needle is very, very small. It is very unlikely that you will damage a vessel or cause a Pneumo with these tiny needles and wires. The dilator for the Micropuncture kit is only 4 French.

If the wire does not thread easily, I choose a different site. In many hemodialysis dependent folks, vessels have been damaged from overzealous central line placement and poor access of their permacaths, vascaths and fistula by hemodialysis personell. They get huge "hematomatoes" and then infected. I have ended up placing a fistula in the lumbar region of a dude in the VA hospital because he ran out of sites for access.

Renal failure is just plain "bad ju-ju".

Blade28 said:

I tape my saline flush to the table as mentioned above in another post; the big deal about that is that its harder for us to find 50 cc bags of NSS than the bottles. It doesn't really matter as long as you have something.

I also use the extra and the left over Lido (if I have any) to clean the patient before dressing them.

I attest to being overzealous - however, mine happened on an extremely thin patient after doing about 50000 lines on the fat people of central PA. I guess I was just used to the steeper angle I needed to get under the clavicle. Oh well, as they say - I got another procedure out of it! :eek:

Ministry said:
Do you have any trusty "secret" locations for good peripheral access? Mine is on the posterior aspect of the forearm medial to the ulna. I've had the patient sit with their arm bent and resting on a pillow across their stomach with a tourniquet proximal to the elbow, with the posterior arm exposed so you can see. Occasionally there's one there.

While it may not be traditionally considered peripheral, but the EJ is a fav of mine.

I'm really grateful for this thread guys. Getting back to the wards after 2 years of research. Whew! I didn't know how much I missed it.

All great tips. I've already printed this up.

Thanx again.

Apollyon said:
....Even slicker was the general surgery resident that cannulated the right subclavian - artery - with a Cordis (yes, dilated and placed catheter) - twice.
...or the Gen Surgery resident on trauma who called me (on face call) for the "unstable maxilla" at 3am which turned out to be a denture.

A micropuncture set is typically a 3in 22Ga needle, a 0.018in floppy tip guidewire and a 4 or 5Fr sheath-dilator combination.

The idea is that you:
- stick with the needle,
- thread the 0.018 wire,
- place the sheath-dilator over the wire,
- remove the internal dilator and wire,
- advance your 0.035in J-wire through the outer sheath.

The main advantage of the micropuncture kit is that you can transgress anything in the human body (spare the vert and the cervical cord) with a 22Ga needle with impunity. A carotid stick is less likely to cause badness (e.g. a dissection) than if you plunge the thin-wall into it.

It has a markedly different feel to it than an 18Ga needle. Also, unless systemic BP is really up, flow is not necessarily pulsatile if you are arterial. If you don't stick under ultrasound, be sure to look closely after you take out the dilator and before you put in the 0.035 wire whether you get venous flow (but don't wait too long, if CV pressure is negative, you are going to suck in air, if you are arterial, you are going to know with the first cardiac cycle).

The micropuncture kit is not cheap, it goes for something like $20 if bought in bulk (a single wall needle is $0.90).

Oh, one more thing: If you can, please stay out of the subclavians in diabetics and renal patients. It seems like they all end up on dialyisis one day, if you lost a subclavian vein to catheter induced thrombosis, you deprived this patient of the option to receive an AV-fistula or graft on that arm. IJs are somewhat more expendable. (We still need them to place cuffed catheters, but at least you don't have the fistula issue).

f_w said:
Oh, one more thing: If you can, please stay out of the subclavians in diabetics and renal patients. It seems like they all end up on dialyisis one day, if you lost a subclavian vein to catheter induced thrombosis, you deprived this patient of the option to receive an AV-fistula or graft on that arm. IJs are somewhat more expendable. (We still need them to place cuffed catheters, but at least you don't have the fistula issue).

This advice is, if not gold, silver at least.

Blade28 said:

Yeah Ultrasound is not everywhere and easily accessible as some places, but I'm thinking give it 5-7 more years and they will be soooo small and convenient to use that it will be bad medical care not to. I think all specialties that utilize this have nice journal articles (anesthesia, surg, em, pulm/critical care).

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/327/7411/361

There have been a few studies saying no difference though:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14972174&dopt=Abstract

the interesting thing about ultrasound is that there is no evidence to show that it decreases the incidence of inadvertent arterial puncture.... there is evidence that you have far fewer sticks, far less complications and are faster...

Kimberli Cox said:
I attest to being overzealous - however, mine happened on an extremely thin patient after doing about 50000 lines on the fat people of central PA. I guess I was just used to the steeper angle I needed to get under the clavicle. Oh well, as they say - I got another procedure out of it! :eek:

Way to be an optimist, every dark cloud has a silver lining. :D

Our program has a policy of "if you caused it you can't count it". :eek: :thumbdown:

f_w said:
Interesting study.

In the past year, I have put about 200 central lines with US guidance: 0 art-sticks, 0 dropped lungs. If I had an 11% complication rate, I would loose my priviledges.

Yeah, I mean it was a study that was done, but in my limited experience I have also not found that to be the case...I didnt' read the whole article though and maybe they consider taking longer than 3 minutes a complication haha.

The question is in whose hands US makes a difference.

If like it sounds in that study 'an US machine is available in the ICU' (without actual training for the varying cast of residents on how to use it), I wouldn't expect any benefit from it. Hitting something with a needle under US visualization is not entirely trivial, but once you get the hang of it you just won't get into anything you didn't want to get into.

If you don't know how to use it properly, there is actually an increased risk. The false sense of security and going away from the landmarks have a high potential to get you into trouble.

f_w said:
The question is in whose hands US makes a difference.

If like it sounds in that study 'an US machine is available in the ICU' (without actual training for the varying cast of residents on how to use it), I wouldn't expect any benefit from it. Hitting something with a needle under US visualization is not entirely trivial, but once you get the hang of it you just won't get into anything you didn't want to get into.

If you don't know how to use it properly, there is actually an increased risk. The false sense of security and going away from the landmarks have a high potential to get you into trouble.

yeah that does make sense. It would give a false sense of security.

Blade28 *Place a towel roll between the shoulder blades to better expose the subclavian vein. QUOTE said:
This has actually been shown to compress and flatten the subclavian vein, reducing flow and making access more difficult. Don't have the citation handy, but read it about 3y ago. All the other stuff people have posted = great tips.

I get the impression many of you don't use the posterior approach IJ for central lines. That's what we prefer and primarily use at our institution.

I like this approach the best personally (in not too obese patients). In any situation where you're palpating a carotid pulse (as in the anterior approach), there's always the tendency to aim the needle towards it. With the posterior approach, you just lift up the sternocleidomastoid and proceed towards the IJ vein. Highly unlikely to hit the carotid artery since you're approaching laterally, almost perpendicular to the neck. Also much less likely to get a PTX being up in the neck (about 2cm above clavicle).

Subclavian lines I prefer in obese patients because the clavicle is a concrete landmark that is easy to find, so I'll reserve it in cases I can't get a neck line.

I find that in obese patients the ij approach is easier. Unless they just have tremendously fat necks... the ij is close to the skin, and if one cannulates the carotid, you can actually hold pressure, unlike sticking the carotid where you just have to wince, and hope the coags from 4 days ago are still accurate.

additionally, the neck offers multiple approaches to the vein, as others have pointed out... more options.

also, you can use ultrasound in the neck. i generally don't use the u/s since i didn't learn that way, and am very comfortable not using it. however i have been using it on the morbidly obese and have had excellent results. the exception is the extremely fat patient with no neck, and ultrasound does not provide a good image, although i have seen this only twice.

also, if you choose the subclavian route with a fat person, it is critical to tape the breast down (male or female) in order to give yourself a good angle under the clavicle. i learned the hard way by not doing this a few times... i easily accessed the vein with the needle, and easily threaded the wire, but when i tried to dilate a tract, i wound up bending the heck our the dilator, and kinking the wire.

also, be aware that you can have a delayed pneumathorax that can present a couple of days after placing the line. i have seen this a couple of times.

oh and i always prep the neck and chest on the same side... if i cannot get an ij access, i can then change position and get a subclavian access.

when you get consulted for a line, always ask why the primary team wants a line. a line placement for "difficult iv access" may be legit, or it may be that the nursing staff just want 3 happy little ports to play with. make sure that the line is actually indicated.

and finally, for all patients, make sure that you have a recent set of coags before placing the line. the one time you forget to check will be the time the patient is on a heparin protocol, or is in liver failure with an inr of 5. sounds like a rookie mistake but... we have a tendency to get blase about things the more we do them. but a mistake with a line can cause a major complication.

Celiac Plexus said:
oh and i always prep the neck and chest on the same side... if i cannot get an ij access, i can then change position and get a subclavian access.
and finally, for all patients, make sure that you have a recent set of coags before placing the line.

Forgot to mention those two gems - great advice! :thumbup:

Interestingly today at orientation the infectious disease lady said that subclavian is the 'preferred site' over IJ and obviously femoral. But, based on my past experience and a lot of what's been said here, I think that for the long-term interest of the patient I'd consider IJ my #1 choice (unless obese) (which is a significant part of our hospital's census).

Thanks for all the tips so far!

Ministry said:
Interestingly today at orientation the infectious disease lady said that subclavian is the 'preferred site' over IJ and obviously femoral. But, based on my past experience and a lot of what's been said here, I think that for the long-term interest of the patient I'd consider IJ my #1 choice (unless obese) (which is a significant part of our hospital's census).

Thanks for all the tips so far!

Subclavian lines have the lowest infection rates. IJ and femoral, believe it or not, have identical infection rates. IJ is preferred because it doesn't increase DVT risk.

Pilot Doc said:
Subclavian lines have the lowest infection rates. IJ and femoral, believe it or not, have identical infection rates. IJ is preferred because it doesn't increase DVT risk.

So I was wrong ... IJ is, if anythign, worse than femoral

CDC Guidelines

Site of Catheter Insertion
The site at which a catheter is placed influences the subsequent
risk for catheter-related infection and phlebitis. The
influence of site on the risk for catheter infections is related in
part to the risk for thrombophlebitis and density of local skin flora.
Phlebitis has long been recognized as a risk for infection.
For adults, lower extremity insertion sites are associated with
a higher risk for infection than are upper extremity sites
(49–51). In addition, hand veins have a lower risk for phlebitis
than do veins on the wrist or upper arm (52).
The density of skin flora at the catheter insertion site is a
major risk factor for CRBSI. Authorities recommend that
CVCs be placed in a subclavian site instead of a jugular or
femoral site to reduce the risk for infection. No randomized
trial satisfactorily has compared infection rates for catheters
placed in jugular, subclavian, and femoral sites. Catheters inserted
into an internal jugular vein have been
associated with higher risk for infection than those inserted
into a subclavian or femoral vein (22,53,54).
Femoral catheters have been demonstrated to have relatively
high colonization rates when used in adults (55). Femoral catheters
should be avoided, when possible, because they are associated
with a higher risk for deep venous thrombosis than are
internal jugular or subclavian catheters (56–60) and because
of a presumption that such catheters are more likely to
become infected. However, studies in pediatric patients have
demonstrated that femoral catheters have a low incidence of
mechanical complications and might have an equivalent
infection rate to that of nonfemoral catheters (61–63). Thus,
in adult patients, a subclavian site is preferred for infection
control purposes, although other factors (e.g., the potential
for mechanical complications, risk for subclavian vein stenosis,
and catheter-operator skill) should be considered when
deciding where to place the catheter. In a meta-analysis of eight
studies, the use of bedside ultrasound for the placement
of CVCs substantially reduced mechanical complications
compared with the standard landmark placement technique
(relative risk [RR] = 0.22; 95% confidence interval
[CI] = 0.10–0.45) (64). Consideration of comfort, security,
and maintenance of asepsis as well as patient-specific factors
(e.g., preexisting catheters, anatomic deformity, and bleeding
diathesis), relative risk of mechanical complications (e.g., bleeding
and pneumothorax), the availability of bedside ultrasound,
and the risk for infection should guide site selection.

Yeah, I really dislike IJs - not only for the reason that I was intially trained on SCs, but the dressings always seem to come loose (patient's head and neck seating, movement, etc.), the bother the patient and more often seem to get tangled up in other lines, etc. Now even more armament in my disfavor!

How do you set up for central line during a code?

How do you set up for central line during a code?

in a code, usually you are going for the femoral - easiest quickest access. don't worry too much about set up as there should be plenty of people around to assist you.

1. open kit, put on sterile gloves. have nurse start setting up iv line and transducer as you do the line if possible. (she should be done when you are)

2. splash some betadine in groin area if readily available (don't waste time looking for it if it's not right there)

3. puncture vein. go medial to pulse. a few tips:
- you may or may not be able to palpate a pulse, depending on whether pt has a pulse or blood pressure, or how well the chest compressions are being done.
- if can't find a pulse promptly, just go blind (err medially and walk laterally so you hit vein first, not artery). as a general guide, the vertex of where the pubic hair ends laterally is approximately where the fem artery should be (sometimes) -- go 1 cm medial and inferior.
- go in and draw back slowly with negative pressure on syringe. sometimes you hit it on the way back if the vein is collapsed.
- if you don't hit it, change directions when needle tip is out or almost out of skin. don't change directions when the needle is deep (you could lacerate vessels).
- don't thread wire until you get backflow like butter in the syringe. just because you see a flash of blood it is not enough.
- once you get backflow like butter, stabilize needle hub with thumb and forefinger of nondominant hand with hand braced against skin (like your life depends on it) while you remove syringe, esp with all the bouncing around with chest compressions.

4. proceed with seldinger technique, i.e. introduce/advance wire, nick entry site with scalpel, remove needle, introduce dilator, introduce CVL. (no need to preflush the lines with saline. you will get blood return and need to withdraw to send off labs anyway)
- as an intern, a good thing is to take one of the kits home and play with them until you are comfortable. the cordis set up is different from the TLC setup -- the dilator goes in with the cordis, then you pull out the dilator with the wire, leaving the cordis in. i know this is basic for most and don't mean to sound condescending, but you don't want to be caught in a code as an intern figuring it out for the first time (like i was).

5. send gas and other labs. remember if pt is not oxygenating well, even arterial blood can look dark and look like a VBG.

6. change line over to sterile SC or IJ line when pt stabilized

wow, some great tips above from awhile ago, especially from blade28 and kimberli cox. perhaps this should be made a sticky?

a few suggestions to add for non-emergent situations:

- take your time to position the patient properly so you are comfortable. i.e. raise the bed, turn the bed, etc.
- consider soft restraints just for the procedure, especially if there is any question of mental status or compliance and remove it afterward. i explain to them that this is truly for their own safety so if they don't flail around, contaminate the field, etc. never had anyone refuse.
- if awake (the pt i mean), i talk to them throughout the procedure to reassure them and tell them what to expect next
- tape pannus (femoral) or breast (SC) if you don't have an assistant retracting
- if your kit doesn't contain lidocaine, tape a lidocaine vial upside down (on an iv pole) so you can draw it up yourself while maintaining sterility.
- nurses will express their appreciation if you are self-sufficient and they don't have to assist you. they will also be your best friend if you clean up after yourself and return the pt to the state you found him/her. i.e. lower the bed, raise the guard-rail, turn the bed back, without a big pool of blood in the bed. i like to leave them with a pristine dressing, all tucked in.

- nurses will express their appreciation if you are self-sufficient and they don't have to assist you. they will also be your best friend if you clean up after yourself and return the pt to the state you found him/her. i.e. lower the bed, raise the guard-rail, turn the bed back, without a big pool of blood in the bed. i like to leave them with a pristine dressing, all tucked in.

All good, but you don't mention THE most important thing - SHARPS!

YOU are responsible for securing (safely disposing of) ANY and ALL SHARPS (including the glass vial that the lidocaine comes in)!!!

prefer subclavian over IJ because i'd rather give someone a pneumothorax than accidentally raise a plaque in the carotid and give someone a stroke! not sure if this is reported in the literature but it is a theoretical concern. in this case, that's enough for me.

to confirm venous placement: i throw some sterile IV tubing on my sterile field and cut off about 30-40cm worth from the luer-lock hub with scalpel. once i access the subclavian, or IJ, with the the needle i disconnect my syringe and connect the IV tubing. allow the tubing to fill to about 25cm with blood passively as it lays horizontally on the sterile field. then, hold it up vertically. if it's venous, the blood should fall back into the vessel. if it's arterial, it will continue to climb. obviously, don't let all the blood poor back into the vein and run the risk of air embolism.

PS--this is not my idea.

It was my understanding that the reason IJs are "dirtier" than fems is because in intubated patients drool runs out the side of their mouth and down and soaks the dressing at the insertion of the IJ site. I don't know if IJs vs. Fem has been studied in awake/alert patients. That said, I hate IJs too for other reasons...

I have to admit, few thigns are more fun than putting in a trauma/code cordis while there is chaos and chest compressions around you. That flash of blood you get must be the same feeling people get from their 2 of IV Dilaudid.

Another tip for femoral lines is when putting in the line if you can't thread the wire, try pulling the wire out, flattening the needle so its parallel to the skin of the thigh, and reinserting the wire.

Subclavian line tip in IJ

The last one in particlar is pretty common. If everything goes fine and the (subclavian) wire advances nicely, but you get resistance at 20-30cm - it has flipped into the IJ rather than the SVC. Withdraw the wire and readvance .
The patients will also frequently complain about ear pain when you advance the wire up the IJ. If unable to get it to deflect down the SVC, just leave it in the IJ. It isn't going to hurt anything.

More random thoughts on line placement...

Subclavians have always been my line of choice because of easy access, landmarks, ability to hit even when they are severely volume depleted, and they are more comfortable for the patient. But, as others have mentioned, anyone that may be a future dialysis patient really should have an IJ rather than a subclavian. Thrombosis of the subclavian vein is possible, but even more likely is a stenosis that isn't readily evident until they get a fistula in that arm and it (the arm) blows up like a balloon.

Regarding ultrasound, there is a subset of patients that I use it routinely...those that have had multiple lines in the past - even if you don't use the US for puncture guidance, it will allow you to make sure the vessel of choice is patent before you even stick them with the needle. The other group includes coagulopathic patients (heparinized, coumadinized, liver failurized) - if they require venous access, with US guidance I can hit the IJ with the Cook or a micropuncture with certainty.

Regarding particular sites for ease of catheter advancement, the right IJ or the left subclavian allow the most gentle sweep into the SVC. The left IJ is the worst. This may be most evident when trying to float a Swan from that location.

With CVLs, preparation really is key and will make you look like a star. I recommend before you start, to get everything in the kit ready. Draw up the local - anesthetize the area and then stick the needle into the styrofoam sharps protector. While the local is taking effect, take a few seconds to connect the Cook to the syringe and stick it in the styrofoam, the same goes for the scalpel, any spare needles in the kit you won't use, and the Keith needle for suturing in the line. By sticking them in the styrofoam, they are easy to see and grab as you need them. And, they are easy to dispose of at the end, just grab the whole styrofoam block and throw everything away at once.

Before you attempt to gain access with the Cook needle, have your guidewire in close proximity...there's nothing worse than having a great flash of blood and then having to contort yourself to reach the guidewire only to find that the needle tip has exited the vein because of your gymnastics.

And, no discussion on central line important steps is complete until you state, "never let go of the wire when you're advancing a line." I've seen the interventional guys fish a wire out of the right ventricle/PA more than once from careless line placement. The addendum to this rule is never withdraw the wire forcibly from the Cook needle either. If you meet much resistance, it is better to pull the wire and the needle out as a unit. I've seen at least one wire sheered off by an overzealous resident not wanting to give up his venous stick. Called the IR guys to retrieve that one too.

Excellent tips above.

A few things to add:

*When placing subclavian lines on fatties, and especially the superfatties, taping the breast is helpful. Be careful that you don't distort anatomy of fat over the clavicle too much, because when the fat is released, it can kink your perfectly functioning line making it useless.

*When placing femoral lines on super obese folks, tape the primary panus. If a mons pannus is present , tape it as well. It can get in your way and make the stick more difficult.

*If your subclavian line tracks into the IJ on cxr, you can reposition the line using fluro. Position the patient and C-arm with the foot peddle easily accessable. Make sure you can see the line with fluro. Prep/drape, and procede as if you were changing the line over a wire. Place guidewire, remove old line. back the guidewire back in to the subclavian and advance. It may take a few tries, but you should be able to get the wire to feed into the svc. Place the catheter.

*As a point of anatomy, the IJ usually lies just posterior to the clavicular head of the SCM at the level of the cricoid cartilage. I much prefer subclavians, but place IJ's in folks with CRI, DM, uncontrolled HTN to preserve dialysis access. Attacking this anatomy usually works for me.

Perhaps it's obvious, but I've seen a complication as a result...

Never, ever let go of the wire!

I know we've all seen it done or done it ourselves. But one of my colleagues (well known for being a good resident) did last year, and dang if the wire didn't get sucked into the pt.

Set everything up so that you don't have to let go of the wire to reach anything.

Presenting a PTX after line placement at M&M is one thing. Presenting an xray of the wire curled up in the heart is something else all together.

And...just and addition to weird places lines end up...several years ago an attending told me he somehow wound up getting a line into the thoracic duct!