Censorship of the UK/Ireland portion of StudentDoctor.net?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alincoln

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where Thread #26488, regarding RCSI's "priority waiting list" letter went?

This thread was first started 12 March 2006 and described students on RCSI's waiting list in Canada and California having received correspondence from RCSI saying that if they were to send in a payment of E2,000 they could be placed on a *priority* waiting list.

This E2,000 was non-refundable and did *not* apply towards their tuition. I.e., "send us E2,000 and we'll bump you up the list.."

I'd been sent an email with a link to the thread, but can no longer find it. I only know it was numbered #26488.

Can the original writers of this thread either re-post, or email me here with their information?

Are the moderators of this forum censoring student posts?

Members don't see this ad.

Heh, no worries, there's no big brother goin' on. Posts on SDN aren't directly censored unless they violate SDN's Terms of Service. If you look to the right of the post, reasons for action against a thread are displayed. This particular thread was deleted because it was discovered that the original poster was a previously banned troll who trolled again by falsifying a misdeed done by a university. The events claimed in the thread never happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
leorl said:
The events claimed in the thread never happened.

How do you know it never happened? I'm not saying it did -- frankly it seemed so blatantly unethical I'd have been staggered if it *had* been true -- but I'm curious as to how you determined the information was false:

1. Ask the troller, and he admits his/her falsehood
2. Ask RCSI, who denies sending the letter out

Number two seems more plausible to me -- but this brings up another interesting question:

Are the moderators of this forum in communication with the medical schools? If concerns arise regarding a certain school's behavior, are the moderators of this forum tracking "rumors" down to determine their verity?

If so, kudos to our moderators!

The troller did confess falsehood through PM just after I figured out there was something shifty going on. I had not confronted the OP on it yet before receiving the PM, but the PM was confirmatory. I actually should have spotted it sooner, but I generally don't make a habit of checking new member accounts out.

With regards to communicating with medical schools: Channels have been opened with the view of discussing matters which might manifest on SDN, not necessarily with administrators themselves, but with the broader student population or student representatives. One difficulty with trying to discover the verity of rumors / opinions that appear on here is that if students posting here perceive an issue to be the result of administrative propaganda or some sort of bureacracy, my contacting the administration and sniffing around for a story is not going to yield a different result. I'm an outside student with less knowledge about their system and practices, so what they tell me certainly would not be colored any differently from what they tell you. So information has to come from the bottom-up instead of top-down, if you know what I mean, which is more difficult to obtain. It would be nice if there was some sort of PR person or student affairs person in each school to be able to give a quick phone call to.

Oh, as a side, this was something I would actually have rung AB or somebody about on behalf of SDN's Ireland applicant pop, but we figured out it wasn't authentic yesterday when nothing was open anyway.

Yeah, I just assumed that author of the thread was a disgruntled RCSI student/grad and was probably the same person who put up the picture of the dogs. Oh well.