Cell Bio vs. Micro Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grunch08

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My college's faculty search last year failed miserably and I find myself in the unfortunate position of not being able to find a microbiology class to take before I graduate (The class at the neighboring college has a max waitlist) If I take cell biology, do you guys get a sense that I will be able to substitute that for a microbiology course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

My college's faculty search last year failed miserably and I find myself in the unfortunate position of not being able to find a microbiology class to take before I graduate (The class at the neighboring college has a max waitlist) If I take cell biology, do you guys get a sense that I will be able to substitute that for a microbiology course?

Thanks!

no, it probably won't be able to translate. See if you can't find it at a community college though, as well. Also, explain that if it comes up. Worst case is that you take it over the summer at a different school. Some schools will accept you on the contingent that you take the class and pass over the summer. You can always call the schools and see what they suggest, too.

Unfortunately, microbiology and cellular biology encompass entirely different subject matter. Micro is more bacterial, parasitic, etc. while cell is all cellular with molecular techniques mingled in there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll most likely need both. Have you tried online courses for either course? That might be your best bet given your situation. Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably about 0% chance of cell swapping for micro. Totally different subjects. Sorry. =o(

Yeah, I know they're completely unrelated, just thought it might be worth a try. Thing is, most schools need a lab, so online won't do. I'll be able to figure it out. Thanks for your advice!

you could try cell bio online and try to find micro with the lab at a university. in fact, the micro lab is pretty interesting, and many people don't even take the cell bio lab. hope this helps :)

or you can do what i did and just not apply to any schools that require micro :) (though be warned... theres not too many out there!)

Mizzou didn't require it. Thank God...histology is bad enough as it is. No more microscopes please! (or so says the behaviorist...) :laugh:

<---- still looking for where I can take Cell Bio online/IS. Anyone know?