celiac disease?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fantasty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just a med student with a dumb question. Can celiac disease cause nasal / sinus symptoms? I've read a little about food allergies causing a person's other hyperactive immune responses to go haywire. But, I just read an ancedote about someone with celiac who was having tons of non-GI symptoms and according to her accounts, everything went away once she dealt with the gluten in her diet.

So, I was just curious if you all ever saw patients who ended up having celiac. Thanks ;)

Members don't see this ad.

celiac disease is an autoimmune disease of the gut only as far as I know. However, it can have several systemic effects related to malnutrition. In addition, other atopic/autoimmune disease processes can be seen more frequently is someone with celiac disease. That at least reflects my current understanding of it, so I would say that although sinus problems are not directly related to having celiac disease, they are more associated with the HLA genotypes that predispose to atopy and autoimmunity seen in celiac disease. Non-expert here though.

I think celiac disease is caused by a Type III hypersensitivity reaction involving immune complex deposits in the gut. Those deposits being antibody-gluten complexes which promote inflamation and subsequent damage of the gut epithelium/villus. This involves IgA antibodies pretty much exclusively.

She might be having a problem with gluten, but it does not have to be celiac disease. It could be a Type I hypersensitivity, But what do I know. I'm still a med student too, but my sister has celiac disease.

Type I - IgE mediated, anaphylaxis
Type II - autoimmune diseases, you make antibodies against yourself, DM
Type III - immune complex deposits, like post streptoccal GN
Type IV - delayed type hypersensitivity, think granulomas, TB

Never seen anyone with sinus sx that were thought to be caused by celiac dz. Haven't seen alot of things, though.