Knowledgment regarding infectious diseases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drivesmecraazee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi :)
I was wondering if there's a certain amount of knowledgment about infectious diseases required in ENT? I guess ENT guys shouldn't know as much as ID's but still, there is a lot of pathology of the upper respiratory tract, ears and mouth that it's caused by infectious agents.
Thanks you all for your answers!

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, one of the ID docs at my institution told me he thought otolaryngologists are pretty good/knowledgeable about antibiotics.

wait...? knowledgment?

Last edited:
Maybe the other ENT guys are sharper than me but we tend to use the same few ABX most of the time.

-Augmentin
-Clindamycin
-Extended spectrum fluoroquinolone of choice
- Keflex

If it gets much beyond that we will sample the area in question and follow up the culture results. If it's complicated we are happy to have an ID consult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe the other ENT guys are sharper than me but we tend to use the same few ABX most of the time.

-Augmentin
-Clindamycin
-Extended spectrum fluoroquinolone of choice
- Keflex

If it gets much beyond that we will sample the area in question and follow up the culture results. If it's complicated we are happy to have an ID consult.

How often an ENT doctor needs an ID cosult in order to treat a patient?

I find that we get ID input once in awhile. We are always able to treat the infection in question but ID can help us narrow down our spectrum, optimize PO home therapy, and help us know how long to treat.

Covering the bug isn't that hard but doing it in the most efficient way for the right amount of time can take some work.

Covering the bug isn't that hard but doing it in the most efficient way for the right amount of time can take some work.

That's a good point. I think what the ID attending I mentioned was trying to convey was that rather than throw something like Zosyn or moxifloxacin at everything, the otolaryngologists he worked with would really think about out antibiotic selection.

LOL I googled "knowledgement" to educate myself on the usage of this word and this thread was the 8th link that was found. BTW its not in Merriam Webster.

Seriously to the OP, anti-fungals can also be important with regards to invasive fungal sinusitis. But that's pretty simple too. Although you might consult ID anyway to help monitor dosing of Amphoteracin B or other anti-fungals.

From a business perspective, keep this in mind for all those who think they can handle it all:

If you're in private practice and you have a legitimate reason to consult ID, do it. You'll network with the other physician, you'll increase your name recognition, and you'll help grow your business. You're also more likely to get consults in return instead of the other ENT guy down the street. Just don't abuse it and don't be stupid about it. Collegial use of other specialties is a very good business decision.

LOL I googled "knowledgement" to educate myself on the usage of this word and this thread was the 8th link that was found. BTW its not in Merriam Webster.

Seriously to the OP, anti-fungals can also be important with regards to invasive fungal sinusitis. But that's pretty simple too. Although you might consult ID anyway to help monitor dosing of Amphoteracin B or other anti-fungals.

LOL...I hope the word actually exists...english isn't my first language, I learned it in high school but it's been a long time since I stoped using it very often...so excuse me.
Thank you all for your answers.

I think this is something that you should always defer to infectious disease. As far as I am aware, there are about 4 or 5 different preparations of amphotericin B, and since they are board certified in internal medicine, they probably know which is the best for the patient and his renal function. On top of that, ever use posaconazole? Voriconazole? Caspofungin? I've used them all on patients in some form for invasive fungal sinusitis depending on the organism. And not all species are susceptible to ampB. These people are sick anyway; you might as well acknowledge your limited role in the treatment of that patient -- surgery.