CCOM vs. LECOM vs. RVU-Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Foresight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have current acceptances to these schools and need to decide where to go/place a deposit. I am considering going into a surgical specialty or possibly emergency medicine.

CCOM:

Pros:
  • Good board scores
  • excellent campus
  • research opportunities with faculty
  • Great clinical sites in the Chicago area
  • Supported residencies in surgical specialties
Cons:
  • high tuition
  • high tuition
  • the weather
Overall:
  • I really felt like this school was a good fit for me
LECOM:

Pros:
  • Good board scores
  • cheap tuition
  • Many supported residencies in surgical specialties
    • may make it easier to get audition and match with one of these residencies
  • Some research opportunities
Cons:
  • wasn't really drawn to this area
  • didn't feel like a good fit for me
  • I would have to move around to get my clinical sites
    • clinical sites aren't as good as CCOM?
  • The weather

RVU-Utah:

Pros:
  • Excellent pre-clinical education with the best board scores in the business
    • they use the same curriculum as RVU-CO
  • Ivins and the St. George area is incredible (and warm)
  • Great Campus
Cons:
  • Clinical sites don't seem to be as established
    • would have to move around.
  • Higher tuition and cost of living in the St. George area.
  • Very few opportunities for research (if any)
    • makes it more difficult for matching to surgical residencies.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am currently leaning towards CCOM, but would love to hear some other thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think take RVUUtah out as is relatively new and still high cost.

The delta in tuition between LECOM and CCOM is huge right? I think for me it would be hard to justify the high tuition. Sure LECOMs area may not be great, but youll be studying 2 years and rotating around for the next few. Chicagos weather is not that great. Also, its a suburb not the city.

On the other hand they say "fit" is important. However, I'm not sure how much fit you can actually tell from spending a few hours on campus. I would research LECOM more and try to ask some CCOM students if they thought the tuition was worth it. Just my 2 cents!

Reactions: 1 user
I think take RVUUtah out as is relatively new and still high cost.

The delta in tuition between LECOM and CCOM is huge right? I think for me it would be hard to justify the high tuition. Sure LECOMs area may not be great, but youll be studying 2 years and rotating around for the next few. Chicagos weather is not that great. Also, its a suburb not the city.

On the other hand they say "fit" is important. However, I'm not sure how much fit you can actually tell from spending a few hours on campus. I would research LECOM more and try to ask some CCOM students if they thought the tuition was worth it. Just my 2 cents!

Thank you for the reply! Part of the attraction of CCOM is the fact that I would not have to move around for clinical (same place all four years). Yes the cost difference would be significant. I would save 80 to 100 thousand dollars going to LECOM. It just comes down to quality of education and personal fit, which I feel is better at CCOM. Does anyone have any information at research opportunities at each school? Any other thoughts?

Thank you for the reply! Part of the attraction of CCOM is the fact that I would not have to move around for clinical (same place all four years). Yes the cost difference would be significant. I would save 80 to 100 thousand dollars going to LECOM. It just comes down to quality of education and personal fit, which I feel is better at CCOM. Does anyone have any information at research opportunities at each school? Any other thoughts?
Tons of research opportunities at CCOM. You can do it on campus or at other schools/places in the area. There's an informal push for students to pursue research to help compete with our MD counterparts we have rotations with. This year, CCOM students made up just under a quarter of all research presented at the osteopathic school conference (this includes students from all other osteopathic schools).