CCOM vs KCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leedle leedle leedle lee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have deposits for CCOM and KCU coming up soon, and I need to make the decision for which to put down. Both are excellent schools with great boards, and I could see myself being happy at either. Here are some pros and cons that I’ve been able to gather are unique to each. Any insight from current students or others who have made the decision would be helpful.

CCOM

Pros:
  • All 3rd+4th year rotation sites in Chicago (This is a big plus for me. My partner will be moving with me, and I don’t want to uproot him after two years. Also, I would like to stay in the Chicago area, or at least move to a similar city, for residency)
  • There are ample research opportunities
  • Great anatomy lab
Cons:
  • Very high tuition. This is my biggest concern…so expensive
  • 30+ minutes removed from the city
  • I got a strange vibe on interview day. We weren’t shown most of the academic buildings, and what we saw had a “high school” type feel to it. Also, per a few students, no one goes to class and they SELL class note packs at the bookstore??
KCU

Pros:
  • Low cost of attendance and cost of living
  • Great interview day experience—very nice campus, great interviewer and student ambassadors, loved Kansas City
  • Minutes from downtown
  • New simulation center
Cons:
  • Very limited research opportunities (not sure what specialty I want to go into, and this could potentially put me at a distinct disadvantage)
  • Students seemed overwhelmed and many expressed concerns over unnecessary difficulty of curriculum (I anticipate medical school being very challenging. I would rather not have to do busy work that will not benefit me/better prepare me for boards and my future medical career)
  • Rotation sites assigned via lottery—will likely have to move after 2nd year. Also, rotation sites are all over the place and largely not in major cities. Can any current students weigh-in on the chances of getting choice site?

Members don't see this ad.