cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bostonredsox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
as several have said...we need a CC cases thread. So though i am the least experienced of the routine contributors here i will start with one from tonight.

58 y/o W male, 2 hours post 4 vessel cabg. On pump around 3 hours. Still on vent. Arrives to MICU with MAP in the tank. high 40s low 50s. On epi/dopamine/Neo/Insulin/LR/Albumin. a couple medistinal chest tubes. IJ cordis with swan in place. CI around 3.2 SvO2 52-54. HR 130s sinus tach. PAP's 40/25. Extremely dyschronus with vent, on AC/VC currently. Belly breathing. Sats mid to high 70s with waveform matching the Aline. Fio2 100%. Baseline he is a heavy smoking COPDr with chronic retention ( think is RA abg was 7.4/55/65/33/90%) No sedation at the moment. MAP is too low to turn the propofol on. Getting squirts of versed with some morphine. Chest film shows ETT in good place, lines all in good place. Complete opacification of right hemithorax. CTSurg puts a lateral Ctube in right side, nothing for return cept a small bit of pleural fluid. Sats still around 78-80, bucking quite a bit. MAP 50. Turns to you and attending intensivist and says 'ok your move".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Paralyze w/ Roc, disconnect the vent, let him exhale. What happens?

Playing devils advocate......Would you try and bronch him first given the right sided complete opacification before continuously paralyzing? Would you try and get some sedation going or paralyze him with no significant amounts of amnestic on board? Would you just start buy trying to adjust the vent settings?

Members don't see this ad :)
as several have said...we need a CC cases thread. So though i am the least experienced of the routine contributors here i will start with one from tonight.

58 y/o W male, 2 hours post 4 vessel cabg. On pump around 3 hours. Still on vent. Arrives to MICU with MAP in the tank. high 40s low 50s. On epi/dopamine/Neo/Insulin/LR/Albumin. a couple medistinal chest tubes. IJ cordis with swan in place. CI around 3.2 SvO2 52-54. HR 130s sinus tach. PAP's 40/25. Extremely dyschronus with vent, on AC/VC currently. Belly breathing. Sats mid to high 70s with waveform matching the Aline. Fio2 100%. Baseline he is a heavy smoking COPDr with chronic retention ( think is RA abg was 7.4/55/65/33/90%) No sedation at the moment. MAP is too low to turn the propofol on. Getting squirts of versed with some morphine. Chest film shows ETT in good place, lines all in good place. Complete opacification of right hemithorax. CTSurg puts a lateral Ctube in right side, nothing for return cept a small bit of pleural fluid. Sats still around 78-80, bucking quite a bit. MAP 50. Turns to you and attending intensivist and says 'ok your move".

Good case! I’m an attending in a CTICU. So I’ll play ☺
1) Is this guy sedated appropriately? I’m putting him down. Hard. Then I’m running him on propofol and fent. If the pressure is just TOO low to chance the prop, I’ll use serial bolus doses of versed like you did. I like the direction the literature has gone the last decade – to minimize the use of benzo infusions – but surely it is too dogmatic to abandon their use entirely. I like intermittent boluses of versed until I can recover enough pressure to use prop or dexmetatomidine.
2) The white out with little return on chest tube makes me think thick mucus plus from COPD/bronchitis stuff. I’d call for the bronch cart and get ready to run it down, but having addressed sedation, I’m turning my attention to the …

3) Interesting mix of pressors. This is a common scenario in our shop – multiple milieu of pressors, all maybe doing something, maybe not, and perhaps even being counterproductive. With this guy’s clinical condition, my ultimate aim is to consolidate pressors, but I have to decide a few things. First, the chest tube that only put out a little pleural fluid seemingly excludes tension pneumo, and the other thing I’d be worried about in any post-CT surg patient is tamponade. If either of these conditions is present, doesn’t matter what I do with the pressors – unless you diagnose and fix the underlying problem, patient going to need a pathology consult.

Assuming no tamponade or tension, now I’m trying to figure out: Does this guy have hypotension because the heart is weak (inherently or, more likely, “stunned” myocardium from the pump run) or is he vasoplegic? If stunned myocardium, then the neosynephrine isn’t helping the weak heart, and the dopamine, if doing anything at all, is probably just revving up heart rate. When it’s weak heart, I’m trying to consolidate to epi, give volume (blood if Hct < 30, crystalloid if above) and be cognizant that if the right heart is weak based on the intraop TEE, he might not tolerate much rapid volume – so I’m using either dobutamine or milrinoine (probably milrinone in a COPD setting). If it’s more a vasoplegia, then volume is still the treatment, but then neo IS useful to me… as is possibly vasopressin or methylene blue.

4) ABG actually not bad for a COPDer. I already addressed the possibility of getting out mucus plugs (or even considering a COPD exacerbation – nebs and steroids, please) but really, although the Sat% are concerning on the pulse ox, you told me he was 90% on the ABG. If you didn’t have the white out chest xray, and if his peripheral sat monitor was reading the 90% matching your ABG of pH of 7.4, CO2 55 and sats 90% (assuming adequate Hgb for oxygen delivery), I don’ think you’d be that worried about his pulm status under the circumstances… that’s not a bad ABG for a COPDer.
5) PA pressures – 40 not bad in a COPDer. If his index wasn’t 3.3 I’d be relying on the milrinone even more, but index looks good so I’m not too focused on that for now.
6) Other things to think about in this golden hour: Make sure total chest tube output is appropriately low and diminishing (I want less than 1L in first hour, of course, or back to the OR), maintain normothermia after the pump run, follow my lactate, etc.

CHEST TUBE OUTPUT: As an aside, these are my rough guidelines for return to the OR for CT output post –CABG:
1st hour: < 1L;
2nd and 3rd hour (combined): <1L
4th, 5th, 6th, 7th hour combined: < 1L.
I like the symmetry of this approach. I’m obviously not waiting until I hit this exact threshold to contact the CT surgeon (I’m discussing this once I start to get within about 75% of these levels) but these are rough triggers that our CT guys will take ‘em back to the OR.

The abg i gave was his room air abg preop.

What we did.

Emergent TEE showed no PEff. eF same as post op TEE EF. Valves look good.

Films showed no PTX.

Rad art line was a bit flakey with map in low 50s. Pulse felt stronger. Placed fem art line which gave map much nearer to 60-64. Started vasopressin with goal of repealing neo. I recommended swapping dopamine out for Levo to help with the tachyarrythmia, CTS wanted to wait a bit and see if it improved with proper sedation/ventilation, understandable.

Proceeded to bronch as we like you we're thinking endobronchial mucus plugging. Decent amount of gunk washed out of right base. Post bronch film is improved but sats still only mid 80s.

Changed to PRVC, titrated IR up to 24, CO2 improved sats improving a bit. Didn't tolerate PC-IRV needed I:E 1:3.7. Still dysynchronus.

I ask attending about vec drip. She agrees. Put him down with train of 4. Precedex running now with blips of versed as amnestic data for precedex isn't great. Map still too low for propofol.

Sats slowly improve to around 95%, still on FiO2 100%. CVP around 13, may be a tad low given his Moderate pulm htn.

Pressure slowly rose enough to allow for continuous versed with fentanyl. Weaned off precedex. Just did t trust its amnestic properties and I wouldn't want to be on a vec drip and not in never never land.

The abg i gave was his room air abg preop.

What we did.

Emergent TEE showed no PEff. eF same as post op TEE EF. Valves look good.

Films showed no PTX.

Rad art line was a bit flakey with map in low 50s. Pulse felt stronger. Placed fem art line which gave map much nearer to 60-64. Started vasopressin with goal of repealing neo. I recommended swapping dopamine out for Levo to help with the tachyarrythmia, CTS wanted to wait a bit and see if it improved with proper sedation/ventilation, understandable.

Proceeded to bronch as we like you we're thinking endobronchial mucus plugging. Decent amount of gunk washed out of right base. Post bronch film is improved but sats still only mid 80s.

Changed to PRVC, titrated IR up to 24, CO2 improved sats improving a bit. Didn't tolerate PC-IRV needed I:E 1:3.7. Still dysynchronus.

I ask attending about vec drip. She agrees. Put him down with train of 4. Precedex running now with blips of versed as amnestic data for precedex isn't great. Map still too low for propofol.

Sats slowly improve to around 95%, still on FiO2 100%. CVP around 13, may be a tad low given his Moderate pulm htn.

Pressure slowly rose enough to allow for continuous versed with fentanyl. Weaned off precedex. Just did t trust its amnestic properties and I wouldn't want to be on a vec drip and not in never never land.

All seems reasonable.

I've had pretty good luck with precedex as a sole agent for amnestic purposes, but at high doses like the Jama paper in 2010 (I think it was '10) that was the first one to support using dex for longer and at doses up to 3 (rather than the usual max of 1.5).

But I have no problem using benzos sometimes the way you did. Overall, I'm certainly using benzos much less now than 5 years ago, but I don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Sometimes, it's the right agent.

If right heart looks good on the TEE, I'd hammer with volume while gradually peeling the pressors. Keep epi as long as I need for index (which I think you said he never had a problem).

Once off pressors, indulge the CT surgeons and dry out with diuretics, but I try and resist diuresis unless I'm either in the setting of ****ty right heart or pulm edema/pneumonia/high vent settings. COPD lungs I usually try and dry out too, though, so if gets off pressors in a day or two and renal function not taking a hit, I'd start actively diuresing.

Be interesting to see how your sats hold up once you start weaning the oxygen. How much PEEP? I'm guessing not much with floppy COPD lungs. If not COPD, I would use a PEEP as necessary to oxygenate unless, again, my right heart is weak as the PEEP might hinder your R to L flow.

PEEP 10. Starting to peel back the fio2 a bit. Still very pressors sensitive. Between all the drips he's taking in over 250ml/hr of mainly NS as the diluent. CVP still around 13. Slowly coming down on the Neo.

And he's on dopamine, the ultimate diuretic :p

Personally I think the major problem was lack of sedation. He got a TEE probe followed by a bronchoscope shoved down his throat, which already had an ETT in it, with nothing but a squirt of versed and 2 of morphine, for fear of the sub 50s MAP. I'd be dysynchronus too lol. Starting to wean off the vec now and titration up the versed and seeing if he stays comfortable without paralysis.

So to finish that case up... after I left in am his hypoxemia worsened throughout the day. Eventually when his acidosis had gotten bad enough and third TEE now showed EF down to 10% CTSx re-opened the chest at bedside. 1800ml apical hematoma compressing the left lung and causing mediastinal and cardiac shift. Drained it out, left the chest open. Pressor requirement still high but improving and oliguria setting in. Shipped to tertiary care SICU for CVVH and furthur surgical management. Was wild. We have a pretty ****ty US in MICU, a new one is coming soon they tell me, and we looked all over with subcostal and parasternal views. TEE didnt even see it. Im guessing had we looked at maybe the first intercostal space or a touch higher we might have caught it a bit earlier. Other than his shot kidneys, his hemodynamics have improved considerably as has his ventilation numbers. Was pretty wild case for me.

wicked!

I just saw a dude who ingested some caustic substance. trached. NJ tube. got a barium swallow which showed a tracheoesophageal fistula. interventional pulm bronched yesterday to eval for stent. found NJ going through fistula, down L mainstem, back in through carina, and BACK into esophagus....insane

Great case! I love the discussion.

I'm curious about when the apical hematoma on the left developed.

At what point would a L-sided chest tube have been indicated? I think it wouldn't have been a bad idea at the very beginning of the case.

CXR is not too sensitive for htx/ptx and if I see a guy on a vent with a ****ty MAP, hypoxemia, tachycardia, I'm going to disconnect the vent and think about why I shouldn't be putting in chest tubes.

Great case! I love the discussion.

I'm curious about when the apical hematoma on the left developed.

At what point would a L-sided chest tube have been indicated? I think it wouldn't have been a bad idea at the very beginning of the case.

CXR is not too sensitive for htx/ptx and if I see a guy on a vent with a ****ty MAP, hypoxemia, tachycardia, I'm going to disconnect the vent and think about why I shouldn't be putting in chest tubes.

ultrasound has awesome sensitivity for ptx. should be able to see fluid easily as well.

wicked!

I just saw a dude who ingested some caustic substance. trached. NJ tube. got a barium swallow which showed a tracheoesophageal fistula. interventional pulm bronched yesterday to eval for stent. found NJ going through fistula, down L mainstem, back in through carina, and BACK into esophagus....insane

I don't even believe that! :D

TELL ME you guys took pictures??

Members don't see this ad :)
So to finish that case up... after I left in am his hypoxemia worsened throughout the day. Eventually when his acidosis had gotten bad enough and third TEE now showed EF down to 10% CTSx re-opened the chest at bedside. 1800ml apical hematoma compressing the left lung and causing mediastinal and cardiac shift. Drained it out, left the chest open. Pressor requirement still high but improving and oliguria setting in. Shipped to tertiary care SICU for CVVH and furthur surgical management. Was wild. We have a pretty ****ty US in MICU, a new one is coming soon they tell me, and we looked all over with subcostal and parasternal views. TEE didnt even see it. Im guessing had we looked at maybe the first intercostal space or a touch higher we might have caught it a bit earlier. Other than his shot kidneys, his hemodynamics have improved considerably as has his ventilation numbers. Was pretty wild case for me.

So the hemothorax was on the left and the initial white-out was on the right?

You'll see that eventually, most likely from a dude who just got radiation and an over aggressive ICU nurse with a NG.

Oh, I've seen holes. Just not holes that have NG tubes that go into the lungs and then back out again through a DIFFERENT hole!

wicked!

That, is F%$&'n insane. In wondering as the tube started and ended in the right place with a detour through a fistula, did it look at all abnormal on upright plain film?

Well I might have misunderstood them but I thought they had said L sided apical hematoma. But he was transferred before I came back on that night.

I'm not doubting your veracity here. Stranger things happen to patients in medicine . . . I just can't get all the pieces put together satisfactorily in my mind

I think the real take home message about vent dyssynchrony . . . if they are so dyssynchronous they are trying to kill themselves, paralyze them, use ketamine to knock them out if you're worried blood pressure won't allow benzos. In a patient with bad COPD and dyssynchronicity, I think you paralyze and disconnect the vent, let all the air that wants out, out, reattach and hope that helps with any obstructive shock that may be going on. I think you bronch the white out before your chest tube it, especially if the shift is TOWARDS the whiteout.

I can't put the big hemothorax on the otherside of the white out into the context here. You'd think an 1800cc hemothorax would be visible on chest film.

Though too much of this stuff is happening in real time and if you don't yet have reflexes for it, you're not going to think about it immediately.

Good case.

Couple of points: Post cardiac surgery low cardiac output syndrome or refractory hypotension should have an intra-aortic balloon pump placed. I personally think that phenylephrine infusions have no place in the postoperative patient. I also find it impossible to miss 1800 cc of fluid in the left chest on TEE. Chances are the chest was not imaged. Other important data points: transfusion requirements intraop and postop as well as chest tube output (and from which tubes), as well as pre and post CPB TEE. Hypotension and hypoxia are pretty decent amnestics. So what if the patient remembers at this stage, fixing the vent issues is more important.

Couple of points: Post cardiac surgery low cardiac output syndrome or refractory hypotension should have an intra-aortic balloon pump placed. I personally think that phenylephrine infusions have no place in the postoperative patient. I also find it impossible to miss 1800 cc of fluid in the left chest on TEE. Chances are the chest was not imaged. Other important data points: transfusion requirements intraop and postop as well as chest tube output (and from which tubes), as well as pre and post CPB TEE. Hypotension and hypoxia are pretty decent amnestics. So what if the patient remembers at this stage, fixing the vent issues is more important.

IABP was placed the following morning when pressures and hypoxemia were worsening and the third TEE showed EF down to 10%

The chest was imaged via TEE three times, I was directly present for two of them.

Pre Pump 40% Post Pump 40%....later in ICU on day one, where the story started, as he was worsening as I described in initial post...repeat TEE was 40%.

Next morning, the day he ended up being shipped, his numbers worsened significantly. Pressor requirement not diminishing. Another TEE was done. EF now 10%. IABP placed and chest re-opened. almost 1800 ml of what he described as 'old blood' was in the left upper chest compressing the mediastinal structures to the right, the whited out lung. The lung was already less white after bronch so mucus plug was certainly part of the respiratory failure.

lastly, there was a few recent articles on whether or not their is survival benefit to IABPs. Most of what I get are epi/dobuta/neo. They are not on IABP unless the map sucks even with the pressors or tmore commonly, there post Pump EF has dropped. His hadnt until the following morning.

The chest was imaged via TEE three times, I was directly present for two of them.

Are you able to post the loops? I think we're all saying it's impossible to hide 1800 cc of fluid in a hemithorax and it not be visible. If the shift is that bad, then there should be tamponade physiology (CVP, PA, MAP equalizing). Also, on echo you'll see RA systolic collapse or inversion of the free wall. You may also see RV diastolic collapse and an empty LV.

Couple of points: Post cardiac surgery low cardiac output syndrome or refractory hypotension should have an intra-aortic balloon pump placed.

We have pretty much gotten away from the IABP in this scenario and are using VA ECMO.

What's TEE show?

Normal

Early 50s guy. History of "TIAs" that presents to the ED with back pain, vague complaints, EKG is sinus brady with a new left bundle. Guy goes to the cath lab but coronaries are clean, pump is good, there is some elevated EDP. So the echo him in the lab and pump is good, more than good, no pericardial effusion, really good windows and valves look good. The guy's only problem is he needs 15 of dopamine to keep his pressures in the 80s. The cardiologist calls me from the cathlab to admit scratching his head and hoping I have a better answer. I don't. Not really. The guy has a white count of 17, which went up to 26 before coking back down. I scanned him to find a source as it wasn't obvious, at all, a UA was kind of dirty but didn't scream urinary source and the guy has no urinary symptoms. CXR was clear. CT scan was also not helpful. Procal was like 5 so high. So I treat him like septic shock with empiric abx. He eventually needed levophed as well to maintain his BP and begin clearing lactate. Be subsequently goes into 3rd heart block and the EP guy puts in a temp pacer which really helped me get him off the dopamine. The next day the guy's heart block is gone and the temp pacer is turned down to a back up rate because the guy has better pump with junction all rhythm he is in. I get him off of the levophed. Yesterday morning he is back in sinus. Everyone is scratching their heads. The other interesting thing they guy was "walky-talky" the whole time. Never had any respiratory failure to speak of really. He got a little pulmonary edema with the initial resus that required 2-4L until his beans kicked back. But I just don't know. If it help gay man, not sexually active in over a year, HIV is negative. W sent labs for syphilis but that's pending. He got his temp pacer out and I transferred him to tele for the weekend to watch his rhythm and let his finish a some IV abx treatment.

The only case I've had similar was a bad case of myocarditis, but this guy proceeded to VA ECMO with complete cardiac asystole while waiting on a transplant

Cardiac MRI or biopsy would be interesting but sounds like a moot point

The only case I've had similar was a bad case of myocarditis, but this guy proceeded to VA ECMO with complete cardiac asystole while waiting on a transplant

Cardiac MRI or biopsy would be interesting but sounds like a moot point

Yeah. I talked with the cards guys here about something similar and they thought the echo presentation just wasn't consistent enough to justify (and I'm actually working with a pretty fantastic group of cards guys who trained in places we've all heard of). Plus the patient was getting better with the sepsis treatment. Or maybe just getting better on his own regardless.

Unfortunately for him if he really has something weird it's going to need to manifest itself more clearly.

Did they perform a RHC? Only asking because my understanding is if you have a pre-existing LBBB and you perform a RHC (or PAC for that matter) you can cause complete AV-block which is temporary and would require a pacer.

Seems like this heart block has got to be related to his cath, rather than undiagnosed sepsis? I mean you worked him up stem-to-stern and found no obvious source (assuming that the few bacteria in his urine in a non-catheterized male are not causing third degree heart block), also we are not suspecting myocarditis based on echo and trops. So my bet is probably some cardiology iatrogensis especially since it rapidly improved, but who knows?

Did they perform a RHC? Only asking because my understanding is if you have a pre-existing LBBB and you perform a RHC (or PAC for that matter) you can cause complete AV-block which is temporary and would require a pacer.

Seems like this heart block has got to be related to his cath, rather than undiagnosed sepsis? I mean you worked him up stem-to-stern and found no obvious source (assuming that the few bacteria in his urine in a non-catheterized male are not causing third degree heart block), also we are not suspecting myocarditis based on echo and trops. So my bet is probably some cardiology iatrogensis especially since it rapidly improved, but who knows?

Yeah. Head scratcher. And no right heart cath. Just left.

Patient with COPD with a dlco of 29%pred with exacerbation, pneumonia confirmed by BAL, cirrhosis with large belly and ascites with hepato-pulmonary syndrome and portopulmonary hypertension, with an open PFO with significant intracardiac shunt, and a large pleural trexudate effusion from liver disease and broken ribs, on a PEEP of 10 with maintenance of cardiac output and an fio2 85%, but decent lung compliance, this is not ARDS.

Are you a bad enough dude to get this guy off the vent???

Last edited:
Can we cheat and get a liver transplant?

And not to be stickler.....but hepatopulmonary syndrome AND portopulmonary HTN in same pt.....is highly HIGHLY uncommon.

Can I double down?

Postpartum (@24 weeks) female with history of HELLP, anti phospholipid abx syndrome, had urgent c-section for fetal distress, moved to Icu after sitting in hospital for 5 days and has been on plasmapheresis by bene for protracted HELLP syndrome with declining plts/hemolysis and last was LDH >3000. Now has plt count of 30, has required multiple plt transfusions, pre-delivery had been on heparin for APS. NOW has PF4 ab +.

You're called with sudden onset respiratory failure requiring 15cm peep and 100% FIO2.

this is multi step presentation. DAY 1

Can I double down?

Postpartum (@24 weeks) female with history of HELLP, anti phospholipid abx syndrome, had urgent c-section for fetal distress, moved to Icu after sitting in hospital for 5 days and has been on plasmapheresis by bene for protracted HELLP syndrome with declining plts/hemolysis and last was LDH >3000. Now has plt count of 30, has required multiple plt transfusions, pre-delivery had been on heparin for APS. NOW has PF4 ab +.

You're called with sudden onset respiratory failure requiring 15cm peep and 100% FIO2.

this is multi step presentation. DAY 1

What's the lung compliance? Were you a bad enough dude to get a BAL? What's your echo look like?

What's the lung compliance? Were you a bad enough dude to get a BAL? What's your echo look like?

Didn't need a BAL to make dx. On PCV tidal volumes were ranging .8-1lL on a driving pressure on 10cm so compliance was fine.

I started angiomax while waiting on the echo, which showed new RV dilation, and dopplers showed new DVT. So for the next week while we waiting on SRA she got plt transfusion with goal to maintain plt about 20. We continued plasma exchange and decadron for hemolysis and plt count; hemolysis got better and ldh normalized, but her plt count did not improve, and at this point her mental status was.....non responsive with a non focal exam. MRI showed "worst case of PRES I've ever seen per rads" couldn't Extubate even if I wanted to anyways as she had no cuff leak, so we sedate her more and maintained tight BP control, we talked it over with heme and gt a bone marrow with shows aplastic anemia with 5% cellularity. So from here we basically baby sat her for 2 weeks, woke her up, she had a cuff leak and extubated her.

Didn't need a BAL to make dx. On PCV tidal volumes were ranging .8-1lL on a driving pressure on 10cm so compliance was fine.

I started angiomax while waiting on the echo, which showed new RV dilation, and dopplers showed new DVT. So for the next week while we waiting on SRA she got plt transfusion with goal to maintain plt about 20. We continued plasma exchange and decadron for hemolysis and plt count; hemolysis got better and ldh normalized, but her plt count did not improve, and at this point her mental status was.....non responsive with a non focal exam. MRI showed "worst case of PRES I've ever seen per rads" couldn't Extubate even if I wanted to anyways as she had no cuff leak, so we sedate her more and maintained tight BP control, we talked it over with heme and gt a bone marrow with shows aplastic anemia with 5% cellularity. So from here we basically baby sat her for 2 weeks, woke her up, she had a cuff leak and extubated her.

So what you're saying is you weren't a bad enough dude to get a BAL! Lol.

Saw more than a few cases like that in fellowship. You just have to ride it out. I mean these folks just used to plain ass die. And this is probably a perfect case for the peanut gallery to see the difference between critical care and the basic resuscitation that happens in the ED.

I still have no takers on my bad liver bad lungs guy.

I'm serious too. Lol. How do I get him off a vent?!? Lol

I'm talking to cards about a potential PFO closure and I'm considering a chest tube even though I know it'll be hell getting it out.

And I'm probably going to try some sildenafil.

No one wants to consider transplant because the guy was drinking three months ago. So wah wah waaaaaahhhhhh.

Not that uncommon. This is the fourth patient I've seen with both.

Hmm. Broke open my books, apparently the guy who trained me was a....bit more persnickety about making concomnent diagnosis than the texts require.

But if this guy a transplant candidate? If not I'd tell the family he needs to be DNI/DNR given his terminal diagnosis. But while they're doing that, sit in him for a day or two and treat the pneumonia, and diuresis the hell out of him to get the fluid balance right, if kidneys aren't happy, phone a friend for dialysis, if you think he truly has a right to left shunt, I'd also have lower threshold to start a pressor to get BP up, goal would be keep mean above pulmonary pressures, this would be one of few times I'd drop a swan, I'd also minimize positive pressure as much as possible, decrease peep, increase fio2, and consider adjusting to PCV with lower driving pressure to achieve desired tidal volume.

Hmm. Broke open my books, apparently the guy who trained me was a....bit more persnickety about making concomnent diagnosis than the texts require.

But if this guy a transplant candidate? If not I'd tell the family he needs to be DNI/DNR given his terminal diagnosis. But while they're doing that, sit in him for a day or two and treat the pneumonia, and diuresis the hell out of him to get the fluid balance right, if kidneys aren't happy, phone a friend for dialysis, if you think he truly has a right to left shunt, I'd also have lower threshold to start a pressor to get BP up, goal would be keep mean above pulmonary pressures, this would be one of few times I'd drop a swan, I'd also minimize positive pressure as much as possible, decrease peep, increase fio2, and consider adjusting to PCV with lower driving pressure to achieve desired tidal volume.

He's not a tx candidate right now. He's got zero insurance. I'm a stare with ****ty medicaid. The surrounding U's all said basically if he gets better and is sober three more months *might* consider.

The intracardiac shunt is real. He doesn't need diuresus. I've already minimized his intrathoracic pressures I think based on current clinic picture.

I like swan and pressors if needed to give me a gradient.

I think I'm going to chest tube him too. Deal with the consequences later.

I think I'm going to chest tube him too. Deal with the consequences later.

Avoid the CT, do large volume thora and place a pig tail in the belly and drain a few litters a day, I'd do something 2-3L every 8 hours followed by some albumin.

I had a bad lunger/liver pt develop PTX In the middle of the night as a fellow, I placed the needed chest tube but the day team never pulled it and she drained 3-4L/day out of that tube until the family made CMO

So what you're saying is you weren't a bad enough dude to get a BAL! Lol.

Saw more than a few cases like that in fellowship. You just have to ride it out. I mean these folks just used to plain ass die. And this is probably a perfect case for the peanut gallery to see the difference between critical care and the basic resuscitation that happens in the ED.

I still have no takers on my bad liver bad lungs guy.

I'm serious too. Lol. How do I get him off a vent?!? Lol

I'm talking to cards about a potential PFO closure and I'm considering a chest tube even though I know it'll be hell getting it out.

And I'm probably going to try some sildenafil.

No one wants to consider transplant because the guy was drinking three months ago. So wah wah waaaaaahhhhhh.

Likely neither the PoPhtn nor hps have much to do with getting off the vent and closing pfo probably will make the right heart failure worse. Agree with addressing effusion and ascites. Have had decent experience with pleurx in this scenario. Even if very high output have been able to remove them without pleurocutaneous fistula. If there is right to left shunt across a pfo from PoPhtn, how can you definitively dx hepatopulm syndrome? That can be the cause of the orthodeoxia.

Avoid the CT, do large volume thora and place a pig tail in the belly and drain a few litters a day, I'd do something 2-3L every 8 hours followed by some albumin.

I had a bad lunger/liver pt develop PTX In the middle of the night as a fellow, I placed the needed chest tube but the day team never pulled it and she drained 3-4L/day out of that tube until the family made CMO

Already thora'd twice. 2L. Keeps coming back. the small belly drain idea is interesting. Except that could also be a nightmare to get out.

Likely neither the PoPhtn nor hps have much to do with getting off the vent and closing pfo probably will make the right heart failure worse. Agree with addressing effusion and ascites. Have had decent experience with pleurx in this scenario. Even if very high output have been able to remove them without pleurocutaneous fistula. If there is right to left shunt across a pfo from PoPhtn, how can you definitively dx hepatopulm syndrome? That can be the cause of the orthodeoxia.

CT findings are consistent. I suppose the guy could also have something even weirder on too of everything but with the bad liver it all comes together.

The guy doesn't have high vent settings in the traditional way of thinking about it just high current oxygen needs.

Fixing the PFO might make the guy worse is an interesting point.

And you had success with a pleurex in the chest or belly?

Already thora'd twice. 2L. Keeps coming back. the small belly drain idea is interesting. Except that could also be a nightmare to get out.

Yeah but it will help get you off the vent and manage the pleural effusion, but just don't leave it Unclamped and let it drain 10L overnight. That does bad things for hemodynamics

CT findings are consistent. I suppose the guy could also have something even weirder on too of everything but with the bad liver it all comes together.

The guy doesn't have high vent settings in the traditional way of thinking about it just high current oxygen needs.

Fixing the PFO might make the guy worse is an interesting point.

And you had success with a pleurex in the chest or belly?

I was referring to pleurx in chest. I think the tunneling of the catheter keeps you from running into problems with leaking after removal like you get with a regular chest tube.

CT has almost nothing to do with diagnosing hepatopulmonary syndrome. The diagnosis is made by demonstrating intrapulmonary shunting in the setting of portal hypertension. This is very difficult to demonstrate with a concurrent right to left intracardiac shunt though could be done with a careful simultaneous right and left heart cath. It doesn't really matter in this case because you're not going to do anything about it anyway.

This is a pt that you might have to extubate on a high fio2 if you have addressed the pneumonia and effusion. The part of the hypoxemia that's due to intracardiac shunt and pulm vascular disease doesn't have anything to do with vent weaning. You can apply 100% fio2 without a ventilator.

Interesting case.