Case Western SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geekOCD

passionate people rock
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see where my fellow Case interviewees & accepted folks were at! I'll start out by saying that Case is tied for my top choice right now, but money and location are big factors. Anyone else out there who's strongly considering Case?

Members don't see this ad.

geekOCD said:
Just wanted to see where my fellow Case interviewees & accepted folks were at! I'll start out by saying that Case is tied for my top choice right now, but money and location are big factors. Anyone else out there who's strongly considering Case?

I got accepted as well. I am going to have a really hard time deciding between Northwestern and Case, and if I'm lucky enough to get into Mayo, then I might have to pull straws.

ultimateend said:
I got accepted as well. I am going to have a really hard time deciding between Northwestern and Case, and if I'm lucky enough to get into Mayo, then I might have to pull straws.

Just got my acceptance letter today. Case is definetly one of my top choices (and my only acceptance so far :D)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoooba said:
Just got my acceptance letter today. Case is definetly one of my top choices (and my only acceptance so far :D)

Congrats! Case was my first interview & first acceptance (I got notified about one week after I interviewed, love that fast turnaround time!)...but there's only one other school I really care about. Well, besides my state school. I'm not sure how to decide on the whole state school for 20K less p/year vs. prestigious private school debate. My interview for my state school is in a couple of weeks, so let's hope that I even get to make that decision!

ultimateend - Mayo seems like the best place for you (going off what you say in your mdapplicants profile) so I hope you hear good news from there and avoid having to decide btw. chicago and cleveland alltogether! (If you got into mayo, would you still consider going anywhere else, and why?)

Hoooba said:

Me 2 :) .

I was really impressed with Case after my interview. Definately my top choice of the schools I've been admitted to. Probably only my in-state school would keep me from going to Case.

Case Western Class of 2010... has a nice ring to it!

Congratulations robh! What's the state school that you're considering?

geekOCD said:
Congratulations robh! What's the state school that you're considering?

OHSU (Oregon). They've waitlisted me post interview. In truth, I think Case is a better school. I'm kind of stunned I got in. I thought Case was a bit of a reach for me. I can't believe it. I got into a top 20 medical school. I keep thinking someone's going to call me from the admissions office and tell me they made a mistake. :scared: I't a wonder we're not all schizophrenic by the time this process is over. Wait, maybe I am? Oh no, that's my other personality...

My main problem is my wife. She is a certified nurse midwife and has a wonderful practice here in Oregon. Moving to Cleveland would force her to leave her practice, which she loves. To make matters worse, the job market for CNM's in Cleveland is very tight. There are no openings right now. If it weren't for this issue, I think I'd just go to Case and be done with this lunacy! If OHSU doesn't admit me, I think it is HIGHLY likely I will attend Case this fall. What about you? Are you attending Case for certain?

robh said:
My main problem is my wife. She is a certified nurse midwife and has a wonderful practice here in Oregon. Moving to Cleveland would force her to leave her practice, which she loves. To make matters worse, the job market for CNM's in Cleveland is very tight. There are no openings right now. If it weren't for this issue, I think I'd just go to Case and be done with this lunacy! If OHSU doesn't admit me, I think it is HIGHLY likely I will attend Case this fall. What about you? Are you attending Case for certain?

Wow, that's tough. And here I am worried about going long-distance with my boyfriend! I'm not attending for certain. I have an interview at Mt. Sinai coming up which is currently about tied in my mind with Case (I'm from nyc, so there's location benefits). So, if I'm lucky, I'll get to choose between them, but otherwise, I'm probably heading to Case. I'm interviewing soon with my state school too...although I'm strongly leaning towards the private schools right now, I'm open to being swayed.

geekOCD said:
ultimateend - Mayo seems like the best place for you (going off what you say in your mdapplicants profile) so I hope you hear good news from there and avoid having to decide btw. chicago and cleveland alltogether! (If you got into mayo, would you still consider going anywhere else, and why?)

Well Rochester has been my home for 19 years now so I want to be able to spend 4 years somewhere else. But when I stack on all the positives of going to Mayo (free housing/tuition, great docs, rounds with my dad?) they really outweigh everything else. I guess I'll take 4 years of my mom making me a bag lunch and putting on my white coat in the morning. :laugh:

ultimateend said:
I guess I'll take 4 years of my mom making me a bag lunch and putting on my white coat in the morning. :laugh:

I understand, not only did I spend about three summers when I was younger working f/t at sinai, I also went to middle school and high school in the same neighborhood, AND my mom is 10 min. away. Needless to say, Sinai's location within Manhattan isn't winning it any points from me!

hey guys! congrats on getting in! Case is up there for me right now, too. What impressed me the most about the interview day was actually Cleveland...people kept telling me what a crappy city it is and in all honestly, I really liked it. Granted I didn't see the "bad" parts of town, but I'm not exactly planning on living there if I do go to Case.

So I heard a couple rumors at the interview and was wondering if any of you guys heard the same things too. One was that next year MS-1s are going to get Thursdays totally off (I believe an MS-4 who is on the curriculum revision board told me this...it's supposed to be for individual study), and the second was that students are given 4 months "off" to work on the individual project and study for step 1. Did I just hear what I wanted to hear, or did any of you hear the same things?

MrBurns10 said:
hey guys! congrats on getting in! Case is up there for me right now, too. What impressed me the most about the interview day was actually Cleveland...people kept telling me what a crappy city it is and in all honestly, I really liked it. Granted I didn't see the "bad" parts of town, but I'm not exactly planning on living there if I do go to Case.

So I heard a couple rumors at the interview and was wondering if any of you guys heard the same things too. One was that next year MS-1s are going to get Thursdays totally off (I believe an MS-4 who is on the curriculum revision board told me this...it's supposed to be for individual study), and the second was that students are given 4 months "off" to work on the individual project and study for step 1. Did I just hear what I wanted to hear, or did any of you hear the same things?

I didn't hear anything about Thursdays off but they do give you significant down time to do the required research project. I can't remember if we are completely out of class during that period but definitely for the most part. And yes it was in the 3-4 month range, at the end of MSII year, as I recall.

Members don't see this ad :)
MrBurns10 said:

I can confirm both these things, not only did I hear them from admissions officials but I also stayed with a student host who told me the same things. Thursdays will be off, and we do get a full block (4 mos. sounds about right) off to do a project for our thesis. I think we get a seperate block off (about 6-8weeks) for step1 studying.

With regards to cleveland, I found that I did like the neighborhood around case where all the students chill (the heights?) but there's some definite race and class issues between diff. areas of cleveland that I have more mixed feelings about (then again, there's race/class issues in every city). Not sure how I feel about living in a commuter city (as it's been described to me, only the poor live IN cleveland).

geekOCD said:
I can confirm both these things, not only did I hear them from admissions officials but I also stayed with a student host who told me the same things. Thursdays will be off, and we do get a full block (4 mos. sounds about right) off to do a project for our thesis. I think we get a seperate block off (about 6-8weeks) for step1 studying.
Wow...so how is it possible to get all the same amount of info as at other schools? I mean, I already thought Case's schedule was pretty nice with classes ending by 1pm everyday, and then they go and give us every Thursday off and a total of 5 months to do research and study for step 1. Granted we would start in July, but that's only about a month head start from everywhere else. How is this possible? Thanks for confirming :)

MrBurns10 said:
Wow...so how is it possible to get all the same amount of info as at other schools? I mean, I already thought Case's schedule was pretty nice with classes ending by 1pm everyday, and then they go and give us every Thursday off and a total of 5 months to do research and study for step 1. Granted we would start in July, but that's only about a month head start from everywhere else. How is this possible? Thanks for confirming :)

Well, the new curriculum is supposed to be totally diff. from other schools, so I guess they've found a way to make it work. Unfortunately, I'm away from school for the holidays so I don't have all my case info. on hand - I'm not sure if it's a 4mos. break for research AND step 1 or if they're seperate (I remember it being the latter, but I can't say I'm 100% w/o looking at the paper. Did anyone else get the handout on the new curriculum at their interview and want to officially confirm this?).

geekOCD said:
Well, the new curriculum is supposed to be totally diff. from other schools, so I guess they've found a way to make it work. Unfortunately, I'm away from school for the holidays so I don't have all my case info. on hand - I'm not sure if it's a 4mos. break for research AND step 1 or if they're seperate (I remember it being the latter, but I can't say I'm 100% w/o looking at the paper. Did anyone else get the handout on the new curriculum at their interview and want to officially confirm this?).

From what they gave me it isn't clear. It looks like you can you can schedule the research project anytime after the end of the second year. It is a 4 month block but says "plus electives." So as I said before, I'm not sure we are completely clear of other obligations during that time. I didn't see anything that indicated time off for board preparation but I seem to remember that MSII classes finish early to provide time for board prep. I'm sorry this is so vague but the page they gave me showing the curriculum and schedule isn't very detailed.

Does Case dole out acceptances by snail mail or email?

TheMightyAngus said:
Does Case dole out acceptances by snail mail or email?

US mail. Two copies of your acceptance letter (one to return with signature and one for you) plus a card to send in if you want to decline, so yes IT'S THIN for those of you who care. Don't have an MI when you see the envelop. Open it, and then have an MI. :eek:

robh said:
US mail. Two copies of your acceptance letter (one to return with signature and one for you) plus a card to send in if you want to decline, so yes IT'S THIN for those of you who care. Don't have an MI when you see the envelop. Open it, and then have an MI. :eek:

I'm anxiously suppressing my MI.

I remember that the letter was thin, but you could feel that there was more than one sheet of paper in it, so you get a hint! (unless their waitlist/rejection letter also has multiple copies, which is just evil)

To switch topics, I was just struck by something while reading a different thread about med students who are unhappy with cliquishness in med school. They mentioned that the small class size of most med schools + housing/dorm environment causes the cliques to form. And then I realized that maybe case's lack of school owned housing might really be positive, if it decentralizes everyone and makes it harder for cliques to form? Maybe I'm just tired, but it seems like a diff. way of looking at things; any thoughts about cliquishness at case/in general/housing?

geekOCD said:
I remember that the letter was thin, but you could feel that there was more than one sheet of paper in it, so you get a hint! (unless their waitlist/rejection letter also has multiple copies, which is just evil)

To switch topics, I was just struck by something while reading a different thread about med students who are unhappy with cliquishness in med school. They mentioned that the small class size of most med schools + housing/dorm environment causes the cliques to form. And then I realized that maybe case's lack of school owned housing might really be positive, if it decentralizes everyone and makes it harder for cliques to form? Maybe I'm just tired, but it seems like a diff. way of looking at things; any thoughts about cliquishness at case/in general/housing?

I don't know how true this is, during my interview we were told that a majority of students live in a particular apartment complex five mins from the med school!

ultimateend said:
Well Rochester has been my home for 19 years now so I want to be able to spend 4 years somewhere else. But when I stack on all the positives of going to Mayo (free housing/tuition, great docs, rounds with my dad?) they really outweigh everything else. I guess I'll take 4 years of my mom making me a bag lunch and putting on my white coat in the morning. :laugh:

Let me just add an opinion that I think the opportunity to study medicine and live in a city like Chicago, if you have lived in a small town your whole life, would be an experience that I would not pass up. Going from a small town to living in Chicago would be a valuable education in and of itself. The thought of my mother, whom I love very much, making me, a grown man, a bag lunch and putting out my white coat in the morning also would depress the living crap out of me. ;)

Can anyone who interviewed at Case or goes there help me out with hotel info? I am still waiting for my packet, but I would appreciate any names of hotels in the Case area.

QofQuimica said:
Can anyone who interviewed at Case or goes there help me out with hotel info? I am still waiting for my packet, but I would appreciate any names of hotels in the Case area.

Check this out: http://www.case.edu/visit/lodging.html

I stayed downtown at the Holiday Inn. The hotel was fine. The location was marginal. If I were to do it again, I would stay at one of the places close to campus. Good luck with your interview!

QofQuimica said:

Do you mind staying with a student? If not I would definately recommend thier host program! I found my student to be full of info.

Happy Holidays!

I'd second that...free housing + student advice + not having to freak out in the morning b/c case is 10 min away = well worth sleeping on a futon.

robh said:
Check this out: http://www.case.edu/visit/lodging.html

I stayed downtown at the Holiday Inn. The hotel was fine. The location was marginal. If I were to do it again, I would stay at one of the places close to campus. Good luck with your interview!
Thanks. :)

QofQuimica said:
Unfortunately, that isn't an option b/c they won't be there. :(

Sorry Q,

forget about me mention of it in the pm, I hadn't read this board.

They list some hotels in the packet of info....I'm still at work....I'll pm you a few when I get home.

Ashanti

I had to stay for three nights so I ended up booking a motel by the airport (gotta save some money). I took the shuttle to the airport and then rode the RTA to the school (45 min trip). I have to admit it wasn't very convenient but I didn't mind at all. The total cost was $120 after my orbitz coupon. I tried staying with a student host but I didn't work out because it was just after the thanksgivings break. I would definetly recommend staying with one if you can. Good luck to you guys

Does anybody have any info about whether Case students can do some of their rotations at the Cleveland Clinic? I can't remember this coming up during the information sessions.

Hey guys,
I am interviewing at Case on Jan 9th and I'm really excited! I noticed that some people had questions about the school, and if you post them here, I'm willing to ask when I go (as long as they won't make me look stupid :p).

diosa428 said:
Hey guys,
I am interviewing at Case on Jan 9th and I'm really excited! I noticed that some people had questions about the school, and if you post them here, I'm willing to ask when I go (as long as they won't make me look stupid :p).

You're just trolling for good questions! :D Sneeky, very sneeky... Good luck on the interview! :thumbup:

Hey guys.
The apartment where loads of med school students live in is called Waldorf Towers (aka Waldorms). Its a decent place, a bit old, but you cant beat the convenience.

As to rotations, currently they are developing the rotation schedules but as it stands now, you will have the choice of rotating at any of the affiliated hospitals (UH, Metro Health, Cleveland Clinic). In fact the cleveland clinic students are supposed to have the same rotations as the case students.

For those considering pub vs. private. I turned down in state tuition and semi instate (OSU) for case. It just felt right!

Question for a current CWRU med student...

I've heard about a program at Rochester where students get $3k to do an summer international health experience between M1 & M2 yrs.

Since CWRU is a huge place for int'l medicine, do they have some sort of similar progam for med students?

Thanks,
-RW

earmuffs said:
Question for a current CWRU med student...

I've heard about a program at Rochester where students get $3k to do an summer international health experience between M1 & M2 yrs.

Since CWRU is a huge place for int'l medicine, do they have some sort of similar progam for med students?

Thanks,
-RW

Students doing summer research can get $2,500 grants in addition to any funding you get on your own. They handed out 80 some odd grants. Several of my classmates went international. These grants are for any summer project, not just international ones! I personally went to LA :)

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone has a really clear understanding of the curriculum next year. On this sheet they gave us, there are blocks for "learning groups" and "interactive sessions". Are there absolutely NO lectures next year? Also, what's the difference between these two? Is one PBL and the other labs or something? How does everyone feel about the PBL next year? I actually had several current students there bring it up and mention that they didn't think they'd succeed in that type of environment. I'm not really sure how I feel about it, but I loved the rest of the curriculum and the resources that Case has...

My impression was that there are definitely lectures next year, there's just going to be more CBL/PBL. The students I talked to felt that a mix might be good, just as long as it doesn't go all PBL. I heard that the (mandatory) PBL stuff might be at 8AM (as opposed to lectures that I can miss) which would suck...I like my sleep.

diosa428 said:
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone has a really clear understanding of the curriculum next year. On this sheet they gave us, there are blocks for "learning groups" and "interactive sessions". Are there absolutely NO lectures next year? Also, what's the difference between these two? Is one PBL and the other labs or something? How does everyone feel about the PBL next year? I actually had several current students there bring it up and mention that they didn't think they'd succeed in that type of environment. I'm not really sure how I feel about it, but I loved the rest of the curriculum and the resources that Case has...

they told us you guys would have very reduced lecture time, but that there would still be lectures to go over some concepts that may not translate well to small groups. it should be noted that the curriculum is more 'group' learning than PBL. The difference being that PBL is even more extreme in terms of self-directed learning. the 'group learning' is somewhere in between lecture and PBL.

as for people flourishing or not. some of my peers loved small groups and interactive sessions, some really didnt like it. just like some people really dislike lectures and others love it. i wouldnt let what people say detract you. think about how YOU would do in a given curriculum and let that be your guide. personally i like both lecture and small group, so either works for me.

exmike said:
they told us you guys would have very reduced lecture time, but that there would still be lectures to go over some concepts that may not translate well to small groups. it should be noted that the curriculum is more 'group' learning than PBL. The difference being that PBL is even more extreme in terms of self-directed learning. the 'group learning' is somewhere in between lecture and PBL.

as for people flourishing or not. some of my peers loved small groups and interactive sessions, some really didnt like it. just like some people really dislike lectures and others love it. i wouldnt let what people say detract you. think about how YOU would do in a given curriculum and let that be your guide. personally i like both lecture and small group, so either works for me.

Thanks, that's helpful. I guess I'm a little nervous about PBL b/c I just read someone's post about how they hate the (hardcore) PBL at their school, so it's good to know that that's not what Case is doing.

diosa428 said:
Thanks, that's helpful. I guess I'm a little nervous about PBL b/c I just read someone's post about how they hate the (hardcore) PBL at their school, so it's good to know that that's not what Case is doing.
I just got back from interviewing at Case and Cleveland Clinic, and it's the College program (Cleveland Clinic) that is all PBL and no lectures. The University Program is still going to have some lectures, but they will be reducing the number of lecture hours like exmike said.

Glad to see some action on our Case thread. Thanks for the helpful posts Exmike. I've seen your posts in the other Case threads as well :thumbup: . By the way, are there any places you would recommend for one-bedroom apartments? I heard about the Waldorms but seems a lot of people aren't happy there.

I saw the sweetest apartments when I visited the school...they literally were suspended over Lake Erie (it's Erie, right?). The building wasn't just on the shore, the apartments were actually over the lake. They looked amazing. Too bad they're about 15-20 minutes from campus :(.

hey exmike, do any students buy or is it pretty much all renting going on over there?

MrBurns10 said:
I saw the sweetest apartments when I visited the school...they literally were suspended over Lake Erie (it's Erie, right?). The building wasn't just on the shore, the apartments were actually over the lake. They looked amazing. Too bad they're about 15-20 minutes from campus :(.

hey exmike, do any students buy or is it pretty much all renting going on over there?
Most students rent. a small handful buy, esp. MSTP students. You can buy a 3 bdr for less than 100k in OK areas.

People do rent downtown or by the lake. Its more expensive and you have to drive further but if you're willing to do that is a viable option. Taking chester straight from downtown to campus takes about 10 minutes so its really not a bad drive, and parking is $65 a month.

To the other poster, if you want a decent one bedroom, check out University East apartments above Quiznos . They are about 680. The singles in The Triangle are nice too, but they run about 800 or so.

Hoooba said:
Glad to see some action on our Case thread. Thanks for the helpful posts Exmike. I've seen your posts in the other Case threads as well :thumbup: . By the way, are there any places you would recommend for one-bedroom apartments? I heard about the Waldorms but seems a lot of people aren't happy there.

I'm not exMike but I'll give this question a shot :) The 1-bedroom apartments within walking distance from campus tend to run above 650/month (though some people may view this as being really cheap), but you can get cheaper apts within a 5 minute drive from campus. I live in Shaker Heights and have a 1 bedroom for 550/month renting through Montlack Realty. I know lots of people who live in the Waldorf but people don't tend to stay for more than a year bc it's just too expensive.

leiface said:
I'm not exMike but I'll give this question a shot :) The 1-bedroom apartments within walking distance from campus tend to run above 650/month (though some people may view this as being really cheap), but you can get cheaper apts within a 5 minute drive from campus. I live in Shaker Heights and have a 1 bedroom for 550/month renting through Montlack Realty. I know lots of people who live in the Waldorf but people don't tend to stay for more than a year bc it's just too expensive.

Thanks for the info guys. So how's the parking if you don't live within walking distance? Do you have to pay for a spot?

thanks

edit- never mind guys, i did a search in the old thread and found it. Looks like ~$65 per month. thanks

Are there other options besides the Waldorf that are within walking distance? How hard are they to get? Also, this is a random question, but I'm a hot-weather gal who doesn't tolerate the cold very well (seriously, when most people think the temp. is fine, I'm freezing)...so Cleveland's got me running scared. How's the heat (as in, in the apartments) there? Generous and constant is what I'm looking for :) Also, how does everyone deal with the cold and the snow? Do you have any recommendations about clothing or bedding or anything?

geekOCD said:
Are there other options besides the Waldorf that are within walking distance? How hard are they to get? Also, this is a random question, but I'm a hot-weather gal who doesn't tolerate the cold very well (seriously, when most people think the temp. is fine, I'm freezing)...so Cleveland's got me running scared. How's the heat (as in, in the apartments) there? Generous and constant is what I'm looking for :) Also, how does everyone deal with the cold and the snow? Do you have any recommendations about clothing or bedding or anything?

I'm from so cal. Waldorf isnt expensive btw. My roommate and I pay 1050 for a decent 2bdr/2bath and a parking spot. You can live in a less plush apt for far less of course, but a little over 1k (500/person) is really cheap to me.

You might like the waldorf because heat is included with the rent! Its always nice and toasty in our apt. Waldorf has its flaws, but free heat isnt one of them. Also, the walk is pretty short. Just make sure you get nice boots and jacket. A quality jacket will do you well (like a northface or columbia type windproof three layer jacket).

Has anyone recieved the financial aid form from Case yet? I thought they were supposed to send it out with the acceptances.