Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2012!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah i know. i just want to get some more personal impressions.
did you get a tour of the city to see what living areas were doable in horrendous weather/how convenient are bus stops to these areas/ are there alot of student parking spaces in the event that you have to drive and how expensive are they...etc.? That sort of thing.

Members don't see this ad.

did you get a tour of the city to see what living areas were doable in horrendous weather/how convenient are bus stops to these areas/ are there alot of student parking spaces in the event that you have to drive and how expensive are they...etc.? That sort of thing.

Current MSI here. I don't know anyone that takes the bus to school, the primary reasons likely being convenience and scheduling. Parking at school is pretty expensive. Veale, the parking garage that most students park in is $73/month. A surface lot across the bridge from Veale is $61.25/month. There's also a private garage in Little Italy that charges $54/month. Prices will prolly go up slightly next year as well. I live within walking distance in the Waldorf so I can't comment on the drive during horrendous weather, but I never had a problem walking this year.

I went to second look and I was very pleased to see how much housing is within easy walking distance. I consider 1 mi (15 minute walk) to be short. It'll make a quick bike ride and a slightly longer walk in bad weather. All of Little Italy and a good portion of Cleveland Heights are within that 1 mi perimeter. A lot of students live in the Waldorf (big apartment building if you want the dorm feel with more room), in Little Italy (full of restaurants), or Cleveland Heights (Overlook Rd and others). I've also heard the free campus shuttle runs out to Coventry. So basically, I wouldn't worry too much.

You may want to ask about parking in your apartment search though. Some have only street parking, some have a driveway or parking spots, and some have the coveted covered parking spots so you don't have to shovel in winter! All things to keep in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Parking at school is pretty expensive. Veale, the parking garage that most students park in is $73/month. A surface lot across the bridge from Veale is $61.25/month.

Geez, that is pretty steep. Parking is at a premium here at Northwestern and I thought that paying ~$400 for 9 months was a ripoff.

Apart from the garages, is there any place that students can park near the medical school (e.g., street parking between hours X and Y, metered parking, etc.)?

Geez, that is pretty steep. Parking is at a premium here at Northwestern and I thought that paying ~$400 for 9 months was a ripoff.

Apart from the garages, is there any place that students can park near the medical school (e.g., street parking between hours X and Y, metered parking, etc.)?

Hey nu2004,

I'm a current MPH student at the med school (I will be in the MD class of 2012:thumbup:) and I can tell you from my experience that it is really tough trying to nab a metered parking spot. There are spots available on circle dr (the road adjacent to the medical school running parallel to the train tracks), but during the working hours it's almost a no go, unless you get lucky. There really aren't any other good parking alternatives.

Right now, I park in garage 46 which is over on the other side of the campus. It's a pretty nice lot, similar to Veale, and I think I'm paying around 55/mo for it. The only problem is it's a 10-15 min walk to the medical school, which isn't bad for part of the year, but it can be brutal during heavy snow and cold. Shuttles run from this lot to UH, but they're inconsistent. There are some other lots near the business and law schools, but I'm not too sure about them.

The best advice would be to just live within walking/biking distance to the med school so you don't even have to mess with parking. If you are stuck with a longer commute like myself, I think it might be best to just suck it up and park at Veale or the surface lot across the tracks from Veale, considering that our days will begin at 8 am and morning time will be at a premium.

Maybe current Case med students have better parking ideas??

The best advice would be to just live within walking/biking distance to the med school so you don't even have to mess with parking. If you are stuck with a longer commute like myself, I think it might be best to just suck it up and park at Veale or the surface lot across the tracks from Veale, considering that our days will begin at 8 am and morning time will be at a premium.

Maybe current Case med students have better parking ideas??

Yep, that's about right. I live further away in Shaker Heights and pay to park in Veale. It is expensive, but I save a lot (and get more for my money in terms of space) by living further away.

Here's how things seem to break down in my experience:
  • You'll spend the most (possibly outstripping the school's budget guidelines for living expenses) if you live close in a 1 br (Waldorf, Cleveland Heights, Little Italy) and pay to park in Veale. Apartments within walking distance to school (and it is mostly apartments of the 1-2 bedroom variety) are about $150-200/mo more than comparable apartments further out.
  • You can live comfortably within the budget if you either live near school (especially with a roommate or two) and walk/bike/carpool or live >2 miles away from school and use the money you save on rent to pay for parking. As iceman said, there are some school and private lots cheaper than Veale, but they are a longer walk. On cold days you may find yourself gazing enviously at your classmates as they drive by on their way to Veale.
  • If you really want to save money on housing, the only way to go is to live with roommates >2 miles away and carpool or bike. If you share a house with 3 roommates and you all go in for a parking pass, you can really keep your expenses down. I don't know of anyone who takes the bus, but many people carpool and a handful bike regularly.
As to meter/street parking on campus: as mentioned above, it is EXTREMELY limited. Last summer I didn't start my parking pass until August, and it was a huge mistake. I think I ended up paying the equivalent of a month's garage rent during the last two weeks in July because I had to resort to visitor parking ($8 in Veale) so many days after driving around in circles for 30 minutes praying to find a space.

NOTE: DON'T FORGET TO FACTOR HEAT INTO YOUR BUDGET. Heat is included in most apartments worth renting. If your house doesn't include heat, know that you may be unpleasantly surprised by your first heating bill of several hundred dollars. I know of at least a couple houses of med students who paid a LOT for heat even with the thermostat set at 62deg. Ask the landlord how much the heating bill averages in the winter months and run the numbers.

ALLLLL that said, at the end of the day most people I know are pretty happy with where they live (excepting unexpectedly tense roommate situations). Compared to other locations, Cleveland has some really nice housing for cheap. Just consider honestly what conveniences will make it easier for you to focus on studying and go from there.

Hope this helps! Can't wait to meet you all in a few short months.

Tuition: $43,500
Living: $23,066
Total: $66,566

Scholarships: $0
Grants: $0

In other words ... Case is too expensive for me ... looks like we wont be classmates after all! Good luck to you all!

Yep, that's about right. I live further away in Shaker Heights and pay to park in Veale. It is expensive, but I save a lot (and get more for my money in terms of space) by living further away.

Here's how things seem to break down in my experience:
  • You'll spend the most (possibly outstripping the school's budget guidelines for living expenses) if you live close in a 1 br (Waldorf, Cleveland Heights, Little Italy) and pay to park in Veale. Apartments within walking distance to school (and it is mostly apartments of the 1-2 bedroom variety) are about $150-200/mo more than comparable apartments further out.
  • You can live comfortably within the budget if you either live near school (especially with a roommate or two) and walk/bike/carpool or live >2 miles away from school and use the money you save on rent to pay for parking. As iceman said, there are some school and private lots cheaper than Veale, but they are a longer walk. On cold days you may find yourself gazing enviously at your classmates as they drive by on their way to Veale.
  • If you really want to save money on housing, the only way to go is to live with roommates >2 miles away and carpool or bike. If you share a house with 3 roommates and you all go in for a parking pass, you can really keep your expenses down. I don't know of anyone who takes the bus, but many people carpool and a handful bike regularly.
As to meter/street parking on campus: as mentioned above, it is EXTREMELY limited. Last summer I didn't start my parking pass until August, and it was a huge mistake. I think I ended up paying the equivalent of a month's garage rent during the last two weeks in July because I had to resort to visitor parking ($8 in Veale) so many days after driving around in circles for 30 minutes praying to find a space.

NOTE: DON'T FORGET TO FACTOR HEAT INTO YOUR BUDGET. Heat is included in most apartments worth renting. If your house doesn't include heat, know that you may be unpleasantly surprised by your first heating bill of several hundred dollars. I know of at least a couple houses of med students who paid a LOT for heat even with the thermostat set at 62deg. Ask the landlord how much the heating bill averages in the winter months and run the numbers.

ALLLLL that said, at the end of the day most people I know are pretty happy with where they live (excepting unexpectedly tense roommate situations). Compared to other locations, Cleveland has some really nice housing for cheap. Just consider honestly what conveniences will make it easier for you to focus on studying and go from there.

Hope this helps! Can't wait to meet you all in a few short months.

Thanks! Very helpful:thumbup:

In other words ... Case is too expensive for me ... looks like we wont be classmates after all! Good luck to you all!

Ouch! Crossing my fingers for a better package!

I doubt Cleveland is THIS expensive. $23,066 is a lot of money for a student or young professional.
I spend less on living here on Manhattan

I doubt Cleveland is THIS expensive. $23,066 is a lot of money for a student or young professional.
I spend less on living here on Manhattan

They grossly overestimate for budgeting purposes so there are no surprises. I am able to survive on about 800/month for rent, utilities, food and gas, but I live relatively frugally. $1000/month for rent, utilities, food and gas is easily doable. The rest just depends on what personal expenses/indulgences you have.

I think the $23,066 is not strictly living expenses, but also includes books/laptop and health insurance among other things.

Yeah, I got the same "package." Bummer, eh ;)

Yeah, I got the same "package." Bummer, eh ;)

welcome to case future doctors, as an outgoing graduate, i can say it was a phenomenal experience that - compared to my friends at other schools - i would never trade for. It amazing how pass fail for two years can make the pain of learning so much more bearable - and the people around you so much nicer.

Yes, the case budget tends to be like an overbearing mom. They dont want to miss anything. Truth is, the living expenses budget is problaby 2x what you need. My advice is figure out how much you REALLY need before you look at the entire figure. I never came close to using the full amount. The point is comparing packages between school is comparing apples to oranges.

You're going to be very well trained and if you work hard you WILL be able to match into the most prestigious residency programs in the country - just take a peek at the most recent match list if you dont believe me. Welcome aboard!

I withdrew today. It was a tough decision - I really loved Case on my interview day - but in the end financial and geographic factors weighed too heavily in favor of other schools.

Good luck to all of you who end up in Cleveland in a few months...

You're going to be very well trained and if you work hard you WILL be able to match into the most prestigious residency programs in the country - just take a peek at the most recent match list if you dont believe me. Welcome aboard!

yeah, i saw it. pretty ridic.

prestige and what not aside, i'm really excited to come to Case because i am secretly planning to run away with Dr. Mehta.

I am a former Case grad currently down in Dallas, TX doing surgery residency at Parkland. Came across this thread while my gel was running (I'm in the lab- it's not some hair thing), and loved seeing that 5 years after graduation, the school is still pricey, people still live in the Waldorf and the parking's a rip-off (just walk or bike is my $0.02). Case has a long tradition of sending people down here for both general and plastic surgery, but the well seems to have dried up lately (though I did interview a Case guy last year who I thought was great)... Anyway, best of luck to those with Step 1 coming up (sorry if I'm in the wrong thread), and feel free to send me a message if you're thinking about away rotations or interviews at Southwestern.

Has anyone NOT received their financial aid package yet? If so, when did you submit everything? I'm getting nervous that I haven't hear anything.

Has anyone NOT received their financial aid package yet? If so, when did you submit everything? I'm getting nervous that I haven't hear anything.

Please call them now. I sent in my stuff in mid-March, and when I hadn't heard anything, I called them last week. Turns out some of the forms got lost in the mail (or they're disorganized, or my mother's maiden name threw them, or who knows!!) and they hadn't even started on the package.

Once I faxed them all the info again they turned it around pretty quick, but you gotta take action. Don't just wait!

Thanks Luxian!:thumbup:
I gave them a call this morning so hopefully I'll be seeing some changes on iApply this week.

I did most of my communications with the financial aid office via email. It works better for me because I can just scan in the forms and send it to them.