Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2012!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st0w

plasticperineum syndrome
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
w000000t! Doin' the class thread thing. It's still a bit early in the season to be completely sure where we'll all wind up, but I figured it's still time for the Case folk to unite and discuss. :)

Who else is out there, past, present or future?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

Do you know anything about second look weekend? I know it's a long way off, but I was wondering if we have to pay for transportation.... Congratulations, maybe I'll see you at case next year!

Hi guys got accepted on Thursday! I haven't received the hard copy letter in the mail yet though. Did you guys print off your acceptance letter on iapply and sent that in to confirm your acceptance? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys got accepted on Thursday! I haven't received the hard copy letter in the mail yet though. Did you guys print off your acceptance letter on iapply and sent that in to confirm your acceptance? Thanks!

No, don't worry about that. You have a month to reply to their offer I think so just wait for the real form and turn that in. Congratulations!

Hey!

Do you know anything about second look weekend? I know it's a long way off, but I was wondering if we have to pay for transportation.... Congratulations, maybe I'll see you at case next year!

I'm a current first year at Case. At Second Look last year, the school covered the cost of the hotel and all expenses during your stay here, but you had to get here on your own.

got in to case... but likely going to withdraw

Anyone have an idea when they'll post info about Second Look? My guess is some time in January, based on reading last year's threads.. Did anyone else notice that the confirmation of acceptance acknowledgement letter seemed to actually be hand-signed by Dr. Mehta? Nice touch... Every step along the way, Case has really made the experience feel personal.. :love:

my interview was on november 5th. does anyone have any idea when i should be getting the iapply message? go case!! :)

This question was asked on one of the pre-allo forums yesterday, but no one really answered it. I was wondering if any of you know what Case's exact policy is on post-acceptance grades? I am doing well this semester, but I'd hate to make a mistake at this point. Anything you know would be appreciated! Also, how set are you on Case? Thanks!

got in to case... but likely going to withdraw

same here... i wonder how Case attracts other california kids? Looks like both of us will be somewhere on the west coast!

This question was asked on one of the pre-allo forums yesterday, but no one really answered it. I was wondering if any of you know what Case's exact policy is on post-acceptance grades? I am doing well this semester, but I'd hate to make a mistake at this point. Anything you know would be appreciated! Also, how set are you on Case? Thanks!

Yeah, I want to know that too. I've had a tough semester, and I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped. The letter says "...satisfactorily complete any pending academic requirements...". What does "satisfactorily" mean?

Yeah, I want to know that too. I've had a tough semester, and I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped. The letter says "...satisfactorily complete any pending academic requirements...". What does "satisfactorily" mean?

That seems to be the question. But, its not one that I would like to call the admin office and ask! :D Hopefully it never becomes an issue for any of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in awhile ago, I'm just slow. Congrats everyone. Also I would imagine that while they wouldn't be happy with lots of Cs and Ds as long as you don't fail or come close they'd be okay but a first year would probably know better.

So... who wants to start the facebook group? :)

So I have a bunch of textbooks I want to sell back from undergrad classes but I'm afraid I'll be re-buying them next year... does anyone know what books we need for first year or where we can find the list of them?

So I have a bunch of textbooks I want to sell back from undergrad classes but I'm afraid I'll be re-buying them next year... does anyone know what books we need for first year or where we can find the list of them?

Congrats on your acceptances everyone! We hope you decide to come to Case. For those of you who definitely know you're coming and are already thinking about books and the like, you should check out our Wiki page for recommendations and other information. I wouldn't worry about buying anything, though, as we will be having a huge book swap in August.

Bumping...

Just wondering if there was anyone new!

I am curious to hear from some Case students about their frank opinion of what it is like to live near Case. Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Congrats on your acceptance. If you have questions for current students, the best place to post is on the CaseMed forums (http://casemed.proboards102.com/) since there is a feed on our main portal page (casemed.case.edu/portal) - you should get a better response on there.

For housing: can you be a little more specific about the type of place you're looking for? apartment/house, roommates, how close, have car, etc? post on the forums. there are some old threads that address the issue as well.

For books: medanthjoint posted a good link with some of the recommended books. different people swear by different texts. everyone will definitely need Robbins and Cotran Pathology (can order the intn'l verson for half price, but it comes from india, so it takes a while to arrive) and Ross and Pawlina Histology. The Alberts "Cell" Text is a good one to keep if you have it from undergrad cell bio and any biochem book is good. Lippincott's Biochemistry Review is awesome and you'll use it for sure. Alot of our books are available online, so you only have to buy them if you prefer the paper-format. For anatomy, get a text (see booklist recommendations), Netter's, and (optional, but helpful) Rohan's Dissector. You still have plenty of time though.

see ya,
SW

Hi all,

One of the first years has started a facebook group at http://stanford.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7584203910&ref=nf for Second Look Weekend as a forum and meeting place for you guys to ask any questions about the school, Cleveland or life in general as well as plan informal get togethers that weekend if you come in early or stay later to look at housing or something. There should be a handful of current Case students on there to answer any of your questions. Hope to see you all on there!

Bueller? Bueller?

Where are all the future/prospective Case med students?

I am curious to hear from some Case students about their frank opinion of what it is like to live near Case. Thanks!

The vast majority of Case med students live to the east of Case, in LIttle Italy, Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights. Little Italy is the closest to campus and has some of the cheapest housing, but it's a little older and not as nice. Cleveland Heights is just a bit further from campus, but on the longer side of walkable, is a reasonably safe place to live with fair rent. Shaker Heights is probably a bit cheaper than Cleveland Heights, but you'd have to drive/bike to school and isn't as safe. Hope this helps. On Second Look last year, they took us on a bus tour of the different neighborhoods; I expect they will do the same this year.

Is there any campus housing for us?

There is no campus-affiliated/sponsored housing for grad students. That said, the housing in Little Italy and Cleveland Heights is typically cheaper than the dorm rates and in many cases closer to the med school than the undergrad housing anyways.

Bueller? Bueller?

Where are all the future/prospective Case med students?

Ping! Just got my acceptance yesterday, and I'm thrilled. Barring something truly unexpected, I plan to be at Case this fall. *wave*

Hmm - I don't know if I should be able to find this more easily, but does anyone have a link to Case's match list?

hey guys, i am going to be in the case class of 2012. i actually applied last year, was accepted, went to second look, and then deferred admission for a year... so i _might_ be able to answer some of your questions, if you have any. see you this july!

hey! anyone flying into cleveland around 4pm on April 4th and want to share a cab to the hotel for second look weekend?!

i'm supposed to land at 4pm exactly (please please let it be good, non-flight delaying weather), so i would be down to share a cab.

p.s. i finally decided to stop lurking, so hi everybody!

Ok, so I'm trying to fill out all my financial aid stuff so I can send everything in this week, but I CANNOT find the Case financial aid application (except for the one from 2002...). I just sent in my acceptance a few days ago, so should I be expecting it from them or am I just a spaz and can't find it online?

If the latter, link please?

Ok, so I'm trying to fill out all my financial aid stuff so I can send everything in this week, but I CANNOT find the Case financial aid application (except for the one from 2002...). I just sent in my acceptance a few days ago, so should I be expecting it from them or am I just a spaz and can't find it online?

If the latter, link please?

Haha, I had the same question. I talked to the financial aid office and they "Case Application" is just those few questions that appear on the financial aid page when you log into your iApply. It takes like 2 minutes or less. Easy compared to FAFSA and Need Access! And congrats on the acceptance.

Um, isn't Need Access the Case application? It's many many pages of complicated questions including accessing financial information (on my part) from fourteen years ago! Do we not need to fill the Need Access application?

No, we need to fill out the Need Access in addition to the Case-specific thing, in addition to the FAFSA.

p.s. thanks NC Doc! That really helps. I was getting all dramatic and I had already filled it out without even knowing...

Hey everyone, finally decided to stop lurking and join in on the action! I'm super excited about Case and meeting everyone soon! I'm arriving at 4:10 pm on the Friday for Second Look, and so would definitely also be up for splitting a cab from the airport, spindoctor and rocnyer.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know when they will start (if they haven't already) to send out financial aid letters? Thanks!

I'll be busy around that time and can't make second look. Everyone go and report back!

i'm driving. see you all in a few weeks.

Hey everyone, finally decided to stop lurking and join in on the action! I'm super excited about Case and meeting everyone soon! I'm arriving at 4:10 pm on the Friday for Second Look, and so would definitely also be up for splitting a cab from the airport, spindoctor and rocnyer.

Awesome, I'm psyched!! PM me and we can find a place to meet at the airport : )

Hey everyone, finally decided to stop lurking and join in on the action! I'm super excited about Case and meeting everyone soon!

Haha, I've decided to stop lurking too. Hey everyone, I've recently made my decision to attend Case in July. I'm excited to meet you all soon!

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know when they will start (if they haven't already) to send out financial aid letters? Thanks!

I called Wanda at the Financial Aid Office last week, and she told me that the first financial aid letters will be sent mid-late April.

Second Look Weekend starts this Friday.

So... a group of us are gonna meet up on Thursday night...
If you're interested and want details, PM me!

omg, teh second look, it is upon us

Anyone wanna share their second look experience? I'm especially interested in what they had to say about financial aid and housing.
thanks!

If you log into iApply, all the presentations should be there (scroll down to the bottom after signing in)