Case Western MS in Medical Physiology 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobeornottobe2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

I am surprised no one has made a thread for this program yet! I am considering applying to this program, even though it is a little late. Is anyone planning to attend? I heard great things about this program. Does anyone know how big the class will be for this program? I heard it has been getting bigger every year.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just received acceptance this morning. They say that there will be 150~180 students in our class in FAQ... so I suggest that it is getting bigger. Not decided if I will accept the offer or not yet.

Oh also it is not late I will say. I finalized my application last week, which is few days before your post. You may have a shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received acceptance this morning. They say that there will be 150~180 students in our class in FAQ... so I suggest that it is getting bigger. Not decided if I will accept the offer or not yet.

Oh also it is not late I will say. I finalized my application last week, which is few days before your post. You may have a shot.

Thanks for replying! Did you use the same personal statement as for medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)

I got accepted in Feb I think. I am debating it. Its the most expensive MS program I ever seen anywhere. What do you think is it worth it?

I got accepted in Feb I think. I am debating it. Its the most expensive MS program I ever seen anywhere. What do you think is it worth it?
I agree. It's expensive... though I think BU is more expensive marginally.
For me, a huge bonus is that this is a 2 year program. Also it's still my only accepted program so far. I will say I think it worth it; though, if I get accepted elsewhere, I probably will start thinking about this as well.

So i got accepted into this program on Friday. I'm kind of confused because I see everywhere that this "can be completed as little as 1 year." Is there just one program and you complete it in 1 or 2? Or is it set in stone how long it is to be? Just need some clarification.

So i got accepted into this program on Friday. I'm kind of confused because I see everywhere that this "can be completed as little as 1 year." Is there just one program and you complete it in 1 or 2? Or is it set in stone how long it is to be? Just need some clarification.
Went to the earlier open house. They basically say they advise us to take our two years and apply to med/dental schools during the summer between the two years, but we are able to finish it in an interval from 2 semesters (strongly discouraged) ~ 5 semesters. We take the core 20 hours in our first year, and if we want to finish the program in one year, add 3 hours to the spring and 7 hours to the summer. Otherwise you spread your 10 elective hours in the next year. We can also use a "fellowship policy" so that we can take undergrad courses or any grad level course that won't count towards the degree for free, for up to 8 courses. (I really wish we have this in undergrad...)
And yes, it is the same program.

Im a student currently finishing up the first year of the program. From personal experience, I would highly recommend it. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Im a student currently finishing up the first year of the program. From personal experience, I would highly recommend it. Feel free to ask me any questions!

@Doctornoname what is your experience so far in taking the courses - how tough are the exams in the core courses? Is the grading more liberal? Are you able to gauge completing the courses and overall program with a 3.5 gpa or higher? Is taking the NMBE exam with getting 50% score requirement a high pressure exam to pass? Are you a resident student? Why did you choose Case MSMP program vs other programs in Biomedical like John Hopkins etc? Do you plan to retake MCAT after the program again?
Thanks for sharing your insights!

Hi thanks for agreeing to answer our questions! So I am a pre-dental student and have been reading around a great deal about the program.

1.) Is it common for people to apply to dent/med before the program begins and for them to update schools regarding coursework from this masters during the update transcript period in December?

2.) Also what is this NMBE exam I keep hearing about?

3.) Are courses mainly power point based in terms of preparation for exams or are books are required?

4.) How much does it cost for out of state students?

5.) What are your overall thoughts about the program? Pros/Cons etc.

That's all I can think of right now LOL sorry for all the questions

@Doctornoname what is your experience so far in taking the courses - how tough are the exams in the core courses? Is the grading more liberal? Are you able to gauge completing the courses and overall program with a 3.5 gpa or higher? Is taking the NMBE exam with getting 50% score requirement a high pressure exam to pass? Are you a resident student? Why did you choose Case MSMP program vs other programs in Biomedical like John Hopkins etc? Do you plan to retake MCAT after the program again?
Thanks for sharing your insights!

Hey!
- I love the courses, honestly. The difficulty of the exams varies depending of the block. For example, GI and Cardio are the toughest ones but the other ones aren't super easy either. I think that how difficult the courses are to students depends on their background. If you have taken undergraduate physiology in the past or if you have a somewhat solid foundation of gen chem and general physics, the first year of the program will be easier. However, if this is your first time tackling physiology, it will take more of an effort for you to understand, rather than memorize, what is happening. It is doable, though. I know plenty of students taking physiology for the first time during the master's and they are doing just fine.
- I am not sure what you mean by "liberal grading" but, statistically, a little over half of the class tends to get an A in the classes.
- a 3.5 is definitely possible. I have a 4.0 right now and I know many others that do as well.
- It is high pressure for sure, it is a cumulative exam of one year of intense physiology, it is not going to be easy (currently procrastinating studying to answer questions here, haha).
- I am not a resident student, I am an international student.
- I was between Boston University and MSMP at Case. I chose case because it felt like a real master's and not just taking classes with medical students. I definitely do not regret it. I actually know people that went to undergrad in BU and decided to come here because Case's curriculum was stronger.
- I will retake the MCAT, yes. Highly recommended as you see so much physiology that the bio section will come as second nature.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi thanks for agreeing to answer our questions! So I am a pre-dental student and have been reading around a great deal about the program.

1.) Is it common for people to apply to dent/med before the program begins and for them to update schools regarding coursework from this masters during the update transcript period in December?

2.) Also what is this NMBE exam I keep hearing about?

3.) Are courses mainly power point based in terms of preparation for exams or are books are required?

4.) How much does it cost for out of state students?

5.) What are your overall thoughts about the program? Pros/Cons etc.

That's all I can think of right now LOL sorry for all the questions

1) I am not sure how common it is but I personally know three people that are doing that. Two of them have been accepted to dental school.
2) It is a national exam that M1 students take to asses their knowledge of physiology in preparation for STEP 1. We take it as a kind of "cumulative exam" to close the first year of core physiology classes in the master's.
3) Honestly, everyone has different study methods. Some people prefer reading the book, some others complement lecture material with the book, some others have study groups. The only book required is the medical physiology book by boron & boulpaep.
4) I believe that the cost is the same for both in-state and out of state since it is a private university. I think it is about 50k? not sure. It is expensive, for sure but if you know what youre doing and are motivated, I think it is worth it.
5) Honestly, I really like this program. There are so many opportunities and so many different directions in which you can go. However, I would not recommend it solely as a "stepping stone" to professional school. If you do not enjoy learning about physiology, the program will be tedious. The amount of detail that we go through is significant. Make sure that you have a genuine interest for the material or you might find yourself struggling to stay motivated.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey!
- I love the courses, honestly. The difficulty of the exams varies depending of the block. For example, GI and Cardio are the toughest ones but the other ones aren't super easy either. I think that how difficult the courses are to students depends on their background. If you have taken undergraduate physiology in the past or if you have a somewhat solid foundation of gen chem and general physics, the first year of the program will be easier. However, if this is your first time tackling physiology, it will take more of an effort for you to understand, rather than memorize, what is happening. It is doable, though. I know plenty of students taking physiology for the first time during the master's and they are doing just fine.
- I am not sure what you mean by "liberal grading" but, statistically, a little over half of the class tends to get an A in the classes.
- a 3.5 is definitely possible. I have a 4.0 right now and I know many others that do as well.
- It is high pressure for sure, it is a cumulative exam of one year of intense physiology, it is not going to be easy (currently procrastinating studying to answer questions here, haha).
- I was between Boston University and MSMP at Case. I chose case because it felt like a real master's and not just taking classes with medical students. I definitely do not regret it. I actually know people that went to undergrad in BU and decided to come here because Case's curriculum was stronger.
- I will retake the MCAT, yes. Highly recommended as you see so much physiology that the bio section will come as second nature.

I suppose what DDXDOC4U asks is "do you live in Cleveland" instead of "are you an Ohio resident".
Also, how do you feel about the support that you receive at Case as an international student?

Hey!

Hey Doctornoname,

I am in a similar situation, where I am deciding between BU MAMS program and MSMP at CWRU. Can you elaborate more on why you chose the MSMP program? Like what were some of your major deciding factors? Can you elaborate on how Case's Curriculum is stronger than BU's?

Hey!

Great response! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

What were the electives you planned and took for the 10 credit hours? Is there any special prep needed for passing the NBME exam?

If anybody is looking for a roommate lemme know! I've been searching around for complexes and have narrowed down my search to a few. I'll be in town a day before the open house on the 23rd of June to finalize it all. I'll get a 2 bedroom and split it if anybody is down to room. If not, I'll just get the 1 bedroom.

I suppose what DDXDOC4U asks is "do you live in Cleveland" instead of "are you an Ohio resident".
Also, how do you feel about the support that you receive at Case as an international student?

I do live in Cleveland, moved here for the program.

- Are you an international student? I ask because it is relevant to answer your question. If you did your undergraduate in the USA and are trying to go to medical school, then you are probably familiar with feeling like your shot is one in a million. If you haven't and this is your first time studying in the USA, then you might feel a little hopeless and on your own.
In my case, I did undergrad in the USA so I am used to hearing how difficult it is for internationals to get into med school in the USA. Case and particularly my advisor have been a lot more helpful than my undergraduate school was. How? I have found through Case opportunities that I would have never heard of or gotten otherwise. Two examples: Through the Physiology and Biophysics department I learned of a week-long cancer leadership conference down in Texas for the summer, I applied and got accepted. Also, the CWRU department of Diversity and Inclusion had a contest for a grant to support original projects targeting diversity on campus and the greater Cleveland community. I presented my idea and won. Those were two things I would have never thought of achieving before being part of Case. So, although I haven't felt like there is a lot of advising particular for international students, there are plenty of us in the program, and there are plenty of opportunities we are eligible for.

Great response! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

What were the electives you planned and took for the 10 credit hours? Is there any special prep needed for passing the NBME exam?

So I am finishing up my first year right now so what I'll tell you is the courses I am intending to take. I plan to do the Clinical Research Certificate over the course of the summer and fall. I am also planning to be involved in research Summer- Spring, take a random elective on the Spring, and work part time.

We took quizzes in preparation for the NBME every week after ending a block. Now we are in a review period for the exam.

I do live in Cleveland, moved here for the program.

- Are you an international student? I ask because it is relevant to answer your question. If you did your undergraduate in the USA and are trying to go to medical school, then you are probably familiar with feeling like your shot is one in a million. If you haven't and this is your first time studying in the USA, then you might feel a little hopeless and on your own.
In my case, I did undergrad in the USA so I am used to hearing how difficult it is for internationals to get into med school in the USA. Case and particularly my advisor have been a lot more helpful than my undergraduate school was. How? I have found through Case opportunities that I would have never heard of or gotten otherwise. Two examples: Through the Physiology and Biophysics department I learned of a week-long cancer leadership conference down in Texas for the summer, I applied and got accepted. Also, the CWRU department of Diversity and Inclusion had a contest for a grant to support original projects targeting diversity on campus and the greater Cleveland community. I presented my idea and won. Those were two things I would have never thought of achieving before being part of Case. So, although I haven't felt like there is a lot of advising particular for international students, there are plenty of us in the program, and there are plenty of opportunities we are eligible for.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I'm international student and got my BS in another Midwest state. Though, I feel that the 1/1000000 rate and "on-my-own-ness" are not necessarily exclusive. What you said sounds great! We have a lot opportunities in my undergrad institution but most of the fliers will have a caption "U.S. citizen only" so that extent of involvement is far from my expectation.
I'm also having an idea: if the adcom admits someone, they are thinking "hey this guy can make it after this program, or the success rate of this program will be lowered", which makes me feel slightly better though I'm in no way thinking things will be any easier.

Hello all, I graduated from Case Western Reserve's master program in 2017 and I will be starting medical school this summer. Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all, I graduated from Case Western Reserve's master program in 2017 and I will be starting medical school this summer. Let me know if you have any questions!
Hey! Are you the guy on Reddit? I think I've seen your post before you went to Case a while ago. Congratulations!! After all, what do you feel about the "not so SMP" impact of this program on your application? Like, will ADCOM think this program is a hybrid program between SMP and regular master, or will they just consider this program to be another regular master that doesn't weigh so much?

Last edited:
Hey! Are you the guy on Reddit? I think I've seen your post before you went to Case a while ago. Congratulations!! After all, what do you feel about the "not so SMP" impact of this program on your application? Like, will ADCOM think this program is a hybrid program between SMP and regular master, or will they just consider this program to be another regular master that doesn't weigh so much?

Yes, I'm the woman who posted on reddit! Thank you! I haven't had any interviewer mention my master's degree, but I had 5 total interview invites (MD and DO) whereas my previous cycles I had 0. I do think my master's degree was one of the reasons why I had waaaay more success this cycle. I know plenty of my fellow classmates who got accepted to medical schools (both MD and DO). I think this program has more weight with the medical schools in Ohio, but that's my own personal opinion.

For anyone waiting, retracting my offer today, hope one of you get in!! Good luck!

Hi everyone! I got accepted into Case Western's Medical Physiology program and am definitely planning on attending this fall. Is anyone looking for a roommate, preferably female? Ideally, I'd like to live closer to campus as possible. So far, I have found some pretty decent places that are nearby and are relatively affordable if split. I am going to be in town for the open house to check out places. Please let me know if you're interested or if you know anyone who is. Looking forward to meeting all of you!!

Hi everyone! I got accepted into Case Western's Medical Physiology program and am definitely planning on attending this fall. Is anyone looking for a roommate, preferably female? Ideally, I'd like to live closer to campus as possible. So far, I have found some pretty decent places that are nearby and are relatively affordable if split. I am going to be in town for the open house to check out places. Please let me know if you're interested or if you know anyone who is. Looking forward to meeting all of you!!

Congratulations!

Are you still looking for a roommate?

PM me if you're still looking for a roommate.

After weighing out everything and situations, I decided to go here. I'll be in town for the open house on the 23rd. If you are a male and looking for a roommate hit me up! Hopefully we can link up at open house as well!

I just applied last Tuesday and got accepted today! They had a quick turn around!

Just received acceptance today. Deciding between Case Western MS and George Squared program which is a collaboration between George Mason University and Georgetown University. Any advice? Thanks!

Hi everyone! Is anyone preferably female looking for a place to live? One other girl - who is also in the program - and I found a place that is a 5-minute walk to the med campus. It's a three-bedroom apartment. Rent includes water, gas, parking, gas, trash removal and washer and dryer. Please let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the details.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I am a recent graduate from the program and am more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Hi everyone! I am a recent graduate from the program and am more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Thank you for being willing to answer questions about your experience! How did you like the program overall? What are you doing now? Did the program prepare you well for the MCAT? Did you go to Case in need of boosting your UG sGPA? How difficult is the course load? Did you pick Case over any other programs? If so, why?

Thanks

Thank you for being willing to answer questions about your experience! How did you like the program overall? What are you doing now? Did the program prepare you well for the MCAT? Did you go to Case in need of boosting your UG sGPA? How difficult is the course load? Did you pick Case over any other programs? If so, why?

Thanks
1. I really loved the program! It has definitely laid the foundation for me to be successful in medical school (study habits, time management, test taking strategy, etc). It's the little things that the program offers that makes me feel more prepared for the next step. Also, I learned a LOT
2. I'm currently applying to medical school this cycle because your application is stronger after the second year and surprisingly quite a few medical schools like to see you finished your degree before applying (fun fact). And I'm working as well.
3. The program really prepared me for the MCAT with test taking strategy and study habits. Also, I barely had to study for the bio/biochem section because the courses taught almost everything.
4. That's exactly why I went to Case. I barely opened a textbook in undergrad and needed a sGPA boost, and I did that.
5. I picked Case over VCU and Rutgers. VCU is a certificate program and while it is a great program, I wanted the degree at the end of it and only about 50% of their students went back for the second year to get a degree. And this might just be a personal thing, but I didn't get the "this is the place where I'll be happy" from Rutgers. Again, that's not a great reason but it was part of it. Also I was impressed by how much Case's program cared about me as an individual. I visited and met with the director, academic advisor, career advisor, and a student, and they were the reason I came. I felt like they were straight shooters with the reality of the situation but encouraging and supportive and I knew that was a place I wanted to be at.

1. I really loved the program! It has definitely laid the foundation for me to be successful in medical school (study habits, time management, test taking strategy, etc). It's the little things that the program offers that makes me feel more prepared for the next step. Also, I learned a LOT
2. I'm currently applying to medical school this cycle because your application is stronger after the second year and surprisingly quite a few medical schools like to see you finished your degree before applying (fun fact). And I'm working as well.
3. The program really prepared me for the MCAT with test taking strategy and study habits. Also, I barely had to study for the bio/biochem section because the courses taught almost everything.
4. That's exactly why I went to Case. I barely opened a textbook in undergrad and needed a sGPA boost, and I did that.
5. I picked Case over VCU and Rutgers. VCU is a certificate program and while it is a great program, I wanted the degree at the end of it and only about 50% of their students went back for the second year to get a degree. And this might just be a personal thing, but I didn't get the "this is the place where I'll be happy" from Rutgers. Again, that's not a great reason but it was part of it. Also I was impressed by how much Case's program cared about me as an individual. I visited and met with the director, academic advisor, career advisor, and a student, and they were the reason I came. I felt like they were straight shooters with the reality of the situation but encouraging and supportive and I knew that was a place I wanted to be at.

Thank you so much for the reply! Were there any MCAT prep courses offered during the program? What type of med school are you in? Did a lot of others in the program get into MD/DO school? What is the linkage like between the MS and MD program at Case?

I appreciate your help!

Thank you so much for the reply! Were there any MCAT prep courses offered during the program? What type of med school are you in? Did a lot of others in the program get into MD/DO school? What is the linkage like between the MS and MD program at Case?

I appreciate your help!
There weren't any prep courses, but because there are also pre-dental, pre-PA, etc. in the program, they haven't offered that as of now. But they're going to be doing "workshops" of when to apply and how to make your application competitive which in itself is amazing. I am currently applying to medical school because I wanted my application to be as strong as it could be so I waited until after my second year. Quite a few people got into medical school! Some got into Case, some got into multiple medical schools, really just depends on the applicant. I feel as though the program is an addition to your application, not a replacement for poor grades. There isn't a "feeder" part of the program. I mean, Case is an amazing school and they expect some of the best, but at least one to two people from our program each year gets into Case Med. I know some programs have a direct linkage, but Case is a top 20 school with a median MCAT of 515 and a median sGPA of 3.7, so you can't guarantee students who don't have a strong undergrad GPA that they would go to that great of a medical school. It's hard, but it's the reality in my opinion. I truly believe any masters program/post-bacc is just an opportunity to improve yourself and your application, and this program met and exceeded my expectations in that regard and I feel 100% ready for medical school so I really couldn't ask for more.

Does anyone know why someone would apply to Case Western's PRIME program over their MSMP? I applied to both but they both seem pretty similar in terms of enhancing your academic credentials before med school

Does anyone know why someone would apply to Case Western's PRIME program over their MSMP? I applied to both but they both seem pretty similar in terms of enhancing your academic credentials before med school
So PRIME is a certificate program where you take "tailored classes" (don't really know what that means) and usually has about 5-10 students. The MSMP program is an actual masters program where you take core physiology classes your first year, take electives your second year, and can take some classes for free if you need to retake general chemistry for example and has about 100 students.

So PRIME is a certificate program where you take "tailored classes" (don't really know what that means) and usually has about 5-10 students. The MSMP program is an actual masters program where you take core physiology classes your first year, take electives your second year, and can take some classes for free if you need to retake general chemistry for example and has about 100 students.
Oh thanks! just wondering why Case Western would create their PRIME program when they already have the MSMP lol. Maybe to give a cheaper or smaller option? Do you know people that did PRIME and enjoyed it? Considering between the two programs and the smaller community is kinda enticing tbh

Oh thanks! just wondering why Case Western would create their PRIME program when they already have the MSMP lol. Maybe to give a cheaper or smaller option? Do you know people that did PRIME and enjoyed it? Considering between the two programs and the smaller community is kinda enticing tbh
Don't quote me but through the grapevine it's because the MSMP program gets all of the money and the medical school doesn't, they wanted to create their own program so they get 100% of the profits. I haven't heard of anyone because it's relatively new and it'll be more for those who haven't done their pre-recs/career changes. It just depends what you're looking for. MSMP= improve your application; PRIME= you haven't taken the classes you need to

Hi everyone! Is anyone preferably female looking for a place to live? One other girl - who is also in the program - and I found a place that is a 5-minute walk to the med campus. It's a three-bedroom apartment. Rent includes water, gas, parking, gas, trash removal and washer and dryer. Please let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the details.

Hey are you still looking for a roommate?

Hello everyone,

Any one looking for a roommate?

Graduated from this program recently. Glad to answer any questions!

Graduated from this program recently. Glad to answer any questions!
Still considering this program vs Wright states Master in Anatomy. Do you feel like this program successfully increased your and your peers chances for medical school?