case logs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tussy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good system for recording their operative cases? I've just been writing them down in a log book, but i'm starting to realize that it's going to be a real pain when i have to compile it all together in the end. ANyone have a computer program or other system that's better? Also, what info about the case should i be recording. I've been recording the name of procedure, date, surgeon, patient's name. Anything else i should be recording? Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Tussy,

the stateside case logging is all web-based now thru the acgme.org site. There's a JAVA program for doing it online that's pretty simple. You can even download something for your PALM to do it on there & synch it later. It is a tremendous advance over the old ways of doing things. You are able to sort the data in any # of ways on the database which is nice.

the acgme website is great...

www.acgme.org, look down the lefthand side of the screen to resident operative log.

however, i do keep all of my data separately in a notebook, in case something happens to the acgme system. i just keep a patient sticker/stamp imprint with the name, medical record number, procedure performed, date, attending and institution. i would advise anyone to keep a log separate of the acgme site...you just never know. it's especially convenient to put cases in the acgme site daily so you don't get backed up (like two years ago when i had to spend 3 straight days logging 2 years worth of cases). the palm version, unfortunately, is only available if your program director applies separately for it to the acgme and then ponies up $25 per resident to make it available.

pete

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by tussy
Does anyone have a good system for recording their operative cases? I've just been writing them down in a log book, but i'm starting to realize that it's going to be a real pain when i have to compile it all together in the end. ANyone have a computer program or other system that's better? Also, what info about the case should i be recording. I've been recording the name of procedure, date, surgeon, patient's name. Anything else i should be recording? Thanks all.

Hi there,
I have been using my Palm to record cases that I just don't have time to get onto the ACGME website because the time between cases is too short. It turns out that I would rather get my operative note dictated as opposed to logging my cases. I really don't let more than 12 hours lapse between getting my cases logged because it is so painful to have to go back and fill in everything.

One of my colleagues put everything into an Excel spreadsheet but he ended up having to transfer everything to the ACGME website. That was painful for him. I think the Palm log works best for short term.

I do a periodic print-out of the ACGME website info for my records.

njbmd:)

The ACGME website seems like a good site. I think you have to be in a US program to use it unfortunately (i'm in Canada). I guess i'll have to keep using my old fashioned log book. It's going to be a real pain though in a couple years when i'm applying to fellowships and have to sort thru my scribbles and put it in some sort of order. If anyone knows of any other options i'd be happy to hear them!

I've got a great system. Stacks of operative reports in boxes all over my office :rolleyes: .

I just 'discovered' a stack of cases from my third year pediatric surgery rotation. Oh well, I've already met my numbers for everything, even though I haven't put in most of my chief year yet...

Originally posted by womansurg
I've got a great system. Stacks of operative reports in boxes all over my office :rolleyes: .

I just 'discovered' a stack of cases from my third year pediatric surgery rotation. Oh well, I've already met my numbers for everything, even though I haven't put in most of my chief year yet...

So you're using the same system as me!!! Except i have a small one bedroom apartment, so instead of boxes all over my office, i have boxes all over my living room and bedroom. I just figured there must be a better system, but this one seems to have worked for you!

So what's the best way to track procedures/operations on a Palm? I've found lots of software for tracking ED resident procedures, but none for surgical residents. Anyone have a free and useful database already created for HanDBase?