Carve Outs for the Rich

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
Mayo is one of the most corrupt institutions in American medicine, and that's saying a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
They are building a carbon centre so i cut them some slack ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
What is the right size of an institution?

I don't know, but I would say public institutions probably can get a little bit bigger than private ones while still serving the public good. They are, in principle, still beholden to the public purse and political winds.

Louis Brandeis knew this. Obsessed with it. It's why we had anti-trust movements and have successfully broken up monopolies and monopsonies in the past.

We now have private medical institutions that are essentially "too big to fail", which means "too big to meaningfully regulate".

It is not helping anyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Every other hospital in MN be like:

Ralph Wiggum Danger GIF

Put on your Bernie mittens and repeat after me in cantankerous NYC accent “the rich get richer while the poor get poorer”

I guess that the "kings and princes" (nevermind the queens and princesses) who fly in to Mayo are okay with nursing ratios that would be unacceptable elsewhere in MN.

I guess that the "kings and princes" (nevermind the queens and princesses) who fly in to Mayo are okay with nursing ratios that would be unacceptable elsewhere in MN.
I'm sure the non-resident/fellow vip/cash pay floor will have (more than) adequate staffing

Last edited:
They are building a carbon centre so i cut them some slack ;)
Moffitt is building another one, several hours away. Mayo should have a donor funding drive so they can afford to hire sufficient nursing staff. Apparently, they cant raise the money with 3 fraction proton apbi.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Moffitt is building another one, several hours away. Mayo should have a donor funding drive so they can afford to hire sufficient nursing staff. Apparently, they cant raise the money with 3 fraction proton apbi.
Mayo is well known in private insurance arena to attest in written fashion to all payors that they only charge IMRT price for protons. Which in a way is pretty stupid if they actually do that, and pretty immoral if they falsely promise they’re doing it to get paid.

Mayo is well known in private insurance arena to attest in written fashion to all payors that they only charge IMRT price for protons. Which in a way is pretty stupid if they actually do that, and pretty immoral if they falsely promise they’re doing it to get paid.

Here’s the secret: they charge absolutely bonkers rates for IMRT and make money hand over fist no matter the modality.

Sure sounds great though!

Reactions: 7 users
Here’s the secret: they charge absolutely bonkers rates for IMRT and make money hand over fist no matter the modality.

Sure sounds great though!

Exactly, when your IMRT rates are 250% medicare, it's hard to go higher

Looks like Mayo got the carve out they wanted.

Per the above article, 57% of nurses in MN work part time!

Seems like several issues at play here. These include outsized, national scale health systems that can act roughly like Giant corporations (Mayo as Amazon), as well as the demographic catastrophe that we are living through (boomers getting old combined with gross national level understaffing of many health care positions and a cultural shift away from full time work for the young).

1. Dave Senjem. Retired environmental affairs officer at Mayo Clinic, former Minnesota state senator and current commissioner of Olmsted County, which encompasses Rochester: "[Mayo Clinic] exists to be the best healthcare center in the world — and by all accounts they are — and in terms of getting to that status, they have to manage their own organization," Mr. Senjem told NBC affiliate KARE11. "The idea that a legislative body would begin to suggest to them how to run nursing staff or what their fee structure should be, is frankly out of reach in terms of acceptability."

[Sigh]

6. Trish Richardson MSN, RN. President-elect of the North Carolina Nurses Association: "What will happen next? ANY and ALL health systems, who have 'Mayo-sized' power and influence, will use this same strategy to evade the law," Ms. Richardson wrote in a LinkedIn post. "What about #healthsystems that don't have the resources to fight? Their voices will not be heard and instead be required to adhere to the letter of the law."

Trish! But let me ask you... have you donated to a PAC?

1. Dave Senjem. Retired environmental affairs officer at Mayo Clinic, former Minnesota state senator and current commissioner of Olmsted County, which encompasses Rochester: "[Mayo Clinic] exists to be the best healthcare center in the world — and by all accounts they are — and in terms of getting to that status, they have to manage their own organization," Mr. Senjem told NBC affiliate KARE11. "The idea that a legislative body would begin to suggest to them how to run nursing staff or what their fee structure should be, is frankly out of reach in terms of acceptability."

[Sigh]

6. Trish Richardson MSN, RN. President-elect of the North Carolina Nurses Association: "What will happen next? ANY and ALL health systems, who have 'Mayo-sized' power and influence, will use this same strategy to evade the law," Ms. Richardson wrote in a LinkedIn post. "What about #healthsystems that don't have the resources to fight? Their voices will not be heard and instead be required to adhere to the letter of the law."

Trish! But let me ask you... have you donated to a PAC?

Who said anything about the fee structure. Is there something else in that bill?