Carribbean med school in Florida?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dalia77

Hello
smile.gif

My first time writing and I already have a question
wink.gif
I keep hearing from different ppl that there is a Carribean med school that has a campus down in Florida...is this true? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the same thing, but after researching the rumor I turned up nothing. There is a foreign medical school in Puerto Rico in addition to the three AAMC-MD schools, I believe, so that's as close to US soil as possible.

Tim of New York City.

Well, not a campus per se, but....

I don't rememebr all the details but the school with something along these lines (Maine too) is St. Matthews U in Belize.

Members don't see this ad :)
Selam Aleykum, Dalia

You heard wrong: there is no such thing.. Sorry..

Peace in Holly Ramadan..

You have not heard wrong. St. Matthews was holding classes in Fla. this last semester because the campus (and island) were damaged during a hurricane. Classes are supposed to resume in Belize in January. St. Matthews also has 4th and 5th semester classes in Maine for students working on a masters in health service administration with St. Joseph's college of Maine.

Maybe you're thinking of Ross University's new fifth semester?(quote from their site)

During the basic science segment, an introduction to clinical medicine (ICM I) course is included as the fourth semester. However, afterextensive evaluation, it has been determined that the more advanced ICM II course of the fifth semester requires a more extensive patient base than is available in Dominica. Therefore, a plan was developed to reincorporate the 15-weeks of the current fifth semester into the clinical component of the curriculum to be conducted in a clinical facility in the U.S. where adequate resources and patients are available.
The curriculum revision incorporates the current fifth semester into the clinical segment by adding one 15-week period, "Integrated Introduction to Clinical Medicine" (ICM II) to be conducted in a U.S. clinical facility. This segment will incorporate the objectives of the entire current fifth semester, while serving as the transition between the basic sciences and the clinical clerkships.
A pilot program will be conducted starting in September 2000, at the clinical facilities of the greater Miami "Health Education Training Center (HETC). This clinical center provides adequate clinical resources including an extensive inpatient and outpatient base. The pilot program will
consist of a small number of students (20-30) who were offered the opportunity to enter into this program, which will substitute for the current fifth semester.
The pilot program is expected to provide experience with the logistics of conducting that program before the entire class is assigned to the revised curriculum, which is planned for January 2001.

Thanks a lot for your replies
smile.gif
I *REALLY* appreciate it. But hey, in reply to Geoff2005, I recall reading about how Ross University opened a campus in Wyoming sometime this last September. See I knew about that, but honestly, I would rather go to Florida than to Wyoming. It would have been realy neat if those "Floridian" rumors were true! Any thoughts on the Wyoming campus?

Ross' campus in WY is nothing more than a distant memory. It'll never happen because, as was noted by some here, there's just way too much opposition from the local community.

Tim of New York City.