"career objective" on CAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dyk33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do they want here? academics vs PP? specialty? save the eyes of the world?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I put in my "career objectives" last year that I wanted to develop an electronic retina to save the vision of every blind person in the world.

just kidding.

I just mentioned that I wanted to do a fellowship, go into private practice, and spend some time doing volunteer work in underserved areas. Don't get too caught up on PP vs academics. I probably wouldn't even mention it. If you interview at a top10, tell them academics is your lifelong passion. Otherwise just say private practice, or whatever you really want.

What a dumb question....so you're at cleveland clinic right, where they just told you in a 60 minute talk about their program that they prefer their graduates go into academics. Then in your interview they all ask, private practice of academics? Of course, being the incredibly slick folks that we all are, we all tell the truth right? I mean, you have to wonder if they don't smell a rat when every applicant says, oh yes...academics is my calling. Oh well...I'll be glad when all the comptetition is over and I can just practice.