Changing career to Ophtho (from internal medicine)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeballzz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this a few years ago. I was hoping that if I worked in internal medicine for awhile, I won't want to do ophthalmology. However, I am still wishing I could do surgeries and help people's eye sights.

I have about 3 years of ophthalmology research many moons ago, with publications. I don't know exactly why I did not do ophthalmology--I was just very confused during medical school. I went to a top 5 medical school. Step 1 ok, Step 2 and Step 3 >95%tile. I finished residency in internal medicine and very well liked during the program.

Anyone do ophthalmology as a second residency? Am I crazy or should I just pursue this since it is on my mind for so many years now...?

I am mainly concerned about the sacrifice to my family and time, but I don't want to keep feeling this way for the rest of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say I know what needs to be done specifically to get this done, but I know a fair amount of ophthalmologists who made this transition. I have no idea how many years you've been out but seems like most of them make the switch very early in their careers.

One of my Mentors - young guy only a few years ahead of me did IM residency --> ophtho residency ---> surg retina fellowship
He was able to jump into pgy2 ophtho because he had an IM residency under his belt.

IF you have a compelling reason, persuasive story, and competitive scores, it is very possible. The only thing you have to ask yourself is
1) are you ready for more training. depending on where you end up, pgy2 can be soul crushing... even more so than medicine (Note; I did an actual IM pgy1 year at a reputable and strong IM program because I wasn't sure I was going to keep my ophtho spot and I didn't want a "prelim" year to prevent me from moving on to IM-Pgy2 if i decided not to do Ophtho). My IM year was difficult, but my PGY2 year was even more difficult. I suppose nowadays, programs are more responsive to residents and have nightfloat so maybe it won't be as bad for you
2) Can you afford the delayed income jump

If you can handle the above. Its worth a shot, get in touch with the Ophtho program at your home institution and see if your inquiries are received favorably. See you at Academy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it if you want, but you should talk to a program director about your application given your time out of med school. Your scores may have been competitive before but they are not anymore given the current climate.

What about changing from RO to Ophtho? I have ocular oncology exposure but that is all haha.

It is certainly possible and I personally know people that have successfully made the switch. Just keep in mind though that everything has a price, and in this case it may be quite steep (read $$, loss of valuable time with a young family, mental/physical burden of a second residency).

Only you alone can decide if its worth it.

If you are truly interested in returning to residency, Your best bet may be to contact programs that have unexpected openings. These can occur a few times a year for various reasons and programs scramble to fill their vacancies with a solid candidate to join their class. You would have to have flexibility and be looking at a cross country move to who knows where. Applying through the regular match would be a crapshoot. Only you decide if it’s worth pursuing. It would seem a more procedural IM fellowship could be an option as well.

1) are you ready for more training. depending on where you end up, pgy2 can be soul crushing
This. Most programs do not have night float and instead have "home" call. It's still a surgical residency with a '**** your feelings' culture, we just do it with a smile. Hilariously, some Gen Surg Residencies are switching to home call so they can **** their residents harder. Gonna be a very tough transition from IM attending.