Career in sports podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, none of our practice members really performs any significant reconstructive surgical procedures on peds. We don't send out all peds cases, but we don't perform major surgical cases on peds.

As large as our practice is, ironically we don't really get referrals for significant pediatric deformities. Our office isn't too far from a world known pediatric orthopedic surgeon with an excellent reputation and from a large university based childrens hospital. Therefore, the majority of cases get sent to those places prior to even getting to our office.

When they get a little older and more active and develop retrocalcaneal apophysitis, THEN they get referred to our office!

Members don't see this ad.

No, none of our practice members really performs any significant reconstructive surgical procedures on peds. We don't send out all peds cases, but we don't perform major surgical cases on peds.

As large as our practice is, ironically we don't really get referrals for significant pediatric deformities. Our office isn't too far from a world known pediatric orthopedic surgeon with an excellent reputation and from a large university based childrens hospital. Therefore, the majority of cases get sent to those places prior to even getting to our office.

When they get a little older and more active and develop retrocalcaneal apophysitis, THEN they get referred to our office!

LOL I hear you!! Its about the same over here, but we do get the more interesting stuff that isn't directly from the hospital. I'm working on that very hard though.

I guess I should somewhat recant my previous statement about those saying that they attended a weak residency. Rather I should say that some I guess come out of residency with a lack of confidence in their abilities to perform certain procedures, and they feel that one more year training would put them more up to par. Whether that lack of confidence came from not so strong training or from other personal reasons I don't know. I would think that doing a fellowship would do nothing but help you...
Fellowship will never hurt, but the quality of most residencies today is pretty high. A lot of the confidence to doing surgery is somewhat innate (as well as based on case preparation IMO). You will realize that once you get into the OR.

There are many alumni of my program who routinely do Ilizarovs, triples, and other complex recon without flinching. A few are residency directors, others are main residency attendings who bring a good amount of RRA, and some work in ortho groups. They feel comfortable doing those cases, they like them, and the patients need the recon. There are also other alumni who were those same guys' co-residents yet do basically just forefoot surgery... and co-scrub any of their RRA with a partner or completely refer the more complex cases within or outside their group. Is there a training difference between those doing RRA and those not? Not at all... case volume/diversity, med rotations, etc are almost identical (remember, they were co-residents). A lot just comes down to personal comfort level, interests, goals, and confidence.

You will see that some surgeons - regardless of training - decide that they just don't want the complex follow up and burdens of the RRA cases. While the anatomy is bigger and the surgery is therefore arguably easier, nobody will argue that the RRA complications aren't more frequent and more devastating (in terms of function/pain, not necessarily malpractice rate/settlement) than the forefoot complications typically are. The RRA cases are usually longer with bigger incisions and more procedures... therefore more prone to infection and post-op pain. The more proximal joints and neurovasc structures are more essential than distal ones and therefore more disabling when malfunctional. The hindfoot cases often require longer periods of nonweightbearing and protected weightbearing, and therefore more cast complications, DVTs, etc.

You will especially find that a lot of the peds cases have high medicolegal risk, trauma cases are often a financial loss for DPMs since most hospitals don't pay DPMs to take call (yet the trauma pts still sue... often), and much of the RRA is just not time:income efficient compared with office time or more basic surgical work. That is not being said to dissuade you by any means, but you will realize that RRA (esp trauma) really holds a LOT more allure to most students/residents than it typically does to attendings. Again, when you are training and when you are an attending, you will decide what's important, comfortable, and interesting to you personally.

I always maintain that being good at F&A surgery is basically a 4 part equation: interest + prep work, training, confidence, and natural talent (motor coordination + 3D anatomic/biomech thinking). A fair amount of the guys you see on the ACFAS podium did a 1yr residency. A lot of the biggest ortho F&A author/educator names never did a fellowship (often since F&A ortho fellowships were in infancy or not around yet); they just did gen ortho but took special interest and pride in F&A cases. In the end, a lot just depends on the individual.

Fellowships can be useful to see more cases or different types than you might have seen in residency, but we are fortunately to the point where the vast majority of PM&S residencies can give you what you need if you apply yourself. As was mentioned, everyone's goals are different, and you just want to do what makes sense to you personally in terms of residency, fellowship, practice focus, etc choices.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellowship will never hurt, but the quality of most residencies today is pretty high. A lot of the confidence to doing surgery is somewhat innate (as well as based on case preparation IMO). You will realize that once you get into the OR.

There are many alumni of my program who routinely do Ilizarovs, triples, and other complex recon without flinching. A few are residency directors, others are main residency attendings who bring a good amount of RRA, and some work in ortho groups. They feel comfortable doing those cases, they like them, and the patients need the recon. There are also other alumni who were those same guys' co-residents yet do basically just forefoot surgery... and co-scrub any of their RRA with a partner or completely refer the more complex cases within or outside their group. Is there a training difference between those doing RRA and those not? Not at all... case volume/diversity, med rotations, etc are almost identical (remember, they were co-residents). A lot just comes down to personal comfort level, interests, goals, and confidence.

You will see that some surgeons - regardless of training - decide that they just don't want the complex follow up and burdens of the RRA cases. While the anatomy is bigger and the surgery is therefore arguably easier, nobody will argue that the RRA complications aren't more frequent and more devastating (in terms of function/pain, not necessarily malpractice rate/settlement) than the forefoot complications typically are. The RRA cases are usually longer with bigger incisions and more procedures... therefore more prone to infection and post-op pain. The more proximal joints and neurovasc structures are more essential than distal ones and therefore more disabling when malfunctional. The hindfoot cases often require longer periods of nonweightbearing and protected weightbearing, and therefore more cast complications, DVTs, etc.

You will especially find that a lot of the peds cases have high medicolegal risk, trauma cases are often a financial loss for DPMs since most hospitals don't pay DPMs to take call (yet the trauma cases are still a medicolegal risk), and much of the RRA is just not time:income efficient compared with office time or more basic surgical work. That is not being said to dissuade you by any means, but you will realize that RRA (esp trauma) really holds a LOT more allure to most students/residents than it typically does to attendings. Again, when you are training and when you are an attending, you will decide what's important, comfortable, and interesting to you personally.

I always maintain that being good at F&A surgery is basically a 4 part equation: interest + prep work, training, confidence, and natural talent (motor coordination + 3D anatomic/biomech thinking). A fair amount of the guys you see on the ACFAS podium did a 1yr residency. A lot of the biggest ortho F&A author/educator names never did a fellowship (often since F&A ortho fellowships were in infancy or not around yet); they just did gen ortho took special interest and pride in F&A cases. In the end, a lot just depends on the individual.

Fellowships can be useful to see more cases or different types than you might have seen in residency, but we are fortunately to the point where the vast majority of PM&S residencies can give you what you need if you apply yourself. As was mentioned, everyone's goals are different, and you just want to do what makes sense to you personally in terms of residency, fellowship, practice focus, etc choices.

Feli,

Sometimes you amaze me. Your comments, observations and maturity are often way beyond your years.

Your post is excellent and touched on just about every point I can imagine with amazing accuracy.

Even I have been tapering off the more complicated surgical cases for many of the reasons you have mentioned. It's either those reasons or I've lost my RRA "mojo".

As per your astute observations, performing the RRA cases and trauma in a REAL practice vs. residency 'ain't always so much fun! When you have to live with that patient and treat the complications or potential complications, deal with the insurance companies, disability forms, etc., etc., it's much different than performing the case as a resident and never seeing the patient again!

Once again, your comments were "spot on". Looking for a job??:laugh:

Thanks for the response Feli. Through reading on this forum for the past two years I've learned a great deal from both residents like yourself and the attendings. Its greatly appreciated