Career in Medicine

WhitRachelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Whitney. I am a student in high school and I am very interested in entering a career in medicine. I realize that this will take a lot of hard work, dedication, and discipline. I've been weighing the different pros and cons of having a career in medicine, and I am a little torn. What are some qualities and characteristics that I will need being a doctor? Is it really worth it? Thank you so much. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there! Welcome.

I am also aspiring to become a doctor.

Some advice and wise words that I have received from doctors that I have spoken to have said the secret is hard work and never let anyone tell you they are smarter than you. It's all about dedication, perseverance, and hard work. Some qualities to become a doctor is good communication skills, listening skills, patience, and compassion. Being a doctor also requires being able to handle/control stress in emergency situations and thinking and making quick decisions.

Last edited:
Do some shadowing in a variety of fields, look at the curriculums, get involved with medical related things. Honestly, we can explain it all you want but it will still only be an idea until you do it. Most people say they know it requires things like "hard work, dedication, and discipline", but the words are hollow until you actually run into those nights for real. Some of the most hardcore premeds I knew going into college are now accountants, lawyers, engineers, social workers, and a variety of other fields. The best way is to get exposed to every area of healthcare and witness for yourself. My experience wasn't exactly cheerful. I saw a 2 yearold boy die, a homeless person beat up by some kids, drug seekers and a morbidly obese man with some complications from gastric bypass amongst lots of colds and shortness of breath. That was my first day....You'll find it is either something that totally fascinates and captivates you or it is something you rather not deal with.

Some advice and wise words that I have received from doctors that I have spoken to have said the secret is hard work and never let anyone tell you they are smarter than you.

A bit cheesy, don't you think?

As an SDN lurker, a few words.
Think smart. Reputation of undergrad school does not heavily influence admission into medical school, if at all. So, from my perspective, go to a school and most importantly the program that will get you high average and at the same, interests you greatly. Also, keep on volunteering, participating in clubs and do what interests you outside of the university/school curriculum.

My $0.02.
vpv