career help

Carterowl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: im looking toward college and i think i wanna enter the pharmacist career

an article ( http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/best-careers/2008/12/11/best-careers-2009-pharmacist.html ) says that pharmacist have a huge job growth coming

but when i read here many people are saying that jobs are hard to find in this field..

which is true?

also how difficult is it to get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know to much about pharmacy. But, have you read this http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm#outlook <--- After you go to website click "job outlook"

"It's easy to get into medical school but, the hardest part is staying in."

Edit: Also, medical and pharmacy school are different

"It's easy to get into medical school but, the hardest part is staying in."

I'd say the truth of med school is in fact the exact opposite of this line...the largest hurdle is getting in to med school, but once you're in, it takes a lot to "fail out" - usually failing multiple years or board exams multiple (>3) times. The days of med school deans greeting a new class with the "look to the people sitting to the left and right of you - one of you won't be here to graduate" are long gone. The most recent AAMC data I remember seeing had the national 4 year graduation rate for med schools at well over >90%, and the 5 year rate at close to 98%.

As for the job growth for pharmacists, it's all very location dependent. If you're going to limit your possible choices to only hospital jobs in NYC or Boston, then it's probably going to be hard. If you're looking only for Walgreen's positions in suburban Dallas or St. Louis you might have a difficult time. (I have no idea if these are factual statements, but I'm making the point that limiting your options based on type of practice and very specific location demands, you're going to limit your ability to find a suitable job).