Career change: post bacc or community college for DPT prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cringer

Reaction score
I need all the advice/input I can get on this! I graduated this spring with a B.S. in a social science. I've always thought about becoming a physical therapist, but for a number of reasons, I chose to stick with my major. Now that I'm working in that field, I've realized that I PT is my "calling"--I'm really passionate about it and I could see myself being extremely happy and satisfied with my career if I pursue it.

Here's where I need advice: I have NO prerequisite classes completed (besides statistics and math that are often prereqs for DPT programs). Should I take prereqs at a community college (or online somewhere) while I'm still working full-time? Or start "fresh" in a post bacc program next year? Money is obviously a concern, so what are some good ways of getting financial aid?

Any other tips for this kind of career change are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m a career changer, and I took mine at community colleges. No problems getting in.

Reactions: 1 user
I did community college after my degree to finish my pre-reqs. I applied as a non-degree seeking student as was able to get most of my finances covered through loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also a career changer. Most of the schools to which I applied did not accept pre-reqs from community colleges, so you should think about where you would like to eventually apply and double check.

I did all my pre-reqs in a community college. I already had a BA degree.
I was not be able to get classes that I needed in a community college right away since I was a new student there and my registration date for classes was a kind of late when I just started, so not all the classes were available for me. Not sure how it would work for you. If you want/are able to register to as many classes as possible, you may be too busy to work at the same time. But if you take fewer classes, you may still have time for a job.

I got a BA in undergrad and took all of my pre reqs at a CC too. There were only 2 schools on my list of 10 I was considering applying to that didn't accept CC credits. I got into my first choice school and was waitlisted at 3 others.

Another career changer here. Took all of my prereqs at a CC and all of the schools I've applied to don't care one way the other.

Reactions: 1 user