This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarkol

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have recently found an interest in epidemiology after having spent the last few years pursuing a degree/career in neuroscience. Naturally, I am not completely familiar with admissions standards for PH schools, so I'd like some advice on how to better my application/prepare myself for a career in Epi. My current qualifications are as follows:

Undergrad: Ohio State (finished in 3 years)
Major: Neuroscience
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.64
Major GPA: 3.94
GRE: V 159, Q 155, AW 5.0 (taking again in August)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 1.5 years clinical neuroscience research (unpaid research assistant). Investigated brain plasticity in healthy older adults, healthy young adults, and patients with neurodegenerative diseases (MS). Application of psychosocial interventions such as exercise training and mindfulness meditation on cognitive and affective functioning.
  • 1 year of psychosocial research (unpaid research assistant). Investigated social, emotional, and cognitive effects of families and children of which the children have had brain tumors.
  • 1 year of data analysis of PET research studies (current full-time job). Projects have included Alzheimer's, MCI, and eating disorder populations.
  • Familiar with command-line interface, PMOD, MatLab, Excel, REDCap, ADM, SPSS, R
  • Volunteer Young Life leader 3 years through college and 1 year (to current) as working professional
LORS: 1 from professor, 1 from previous PI, 1 from current boss
Interests: Chronic/infectious disease, Neuroscience, aging

Applying to: Ohio State, Pitt

Members don't see this ad.