Cardiac jobs in Cincinnati 550k or 600k base depending on site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Posting about a couple openings at my practice for cardiac anesthesiologists.

Job 1.

600k base, 25k signing bonus per year for 2-3 years. 10 weeks of vacation.

Hospital approximately 300 beds, not a trauma center, no OB as of now.

Do your own cardiac cases (TAVRs and anything in cardiac rooms). Supervise general and surgicenter cases.

Call is split between 4 cardiac and 3 general docs plus docs from other sites. Cardiac docs cover combined general + cardiac call. All call is from home with post call days almost always off if taking 1st call. If taking 2nd call, only on the hook for cases if there's a cardiac case. If you get a dissection or late call in then we'll pull from other site to get you out the next day. If not, then 2nd call is 2nd out the next day.

It's a lot of nominal days on call compared to larger groups (q4 overall for cardiac docs), but the call is extremely light. If you're not in a call position, usually relieved around 1-2pm or earlier. 2nd call usually out by 4pm. 1st call usually out by 7pm.

Case load includes CABG, combined CABG/valve, single/double valves, hemi-arches and bentalls, TAVRs, and TEVARs with spinal drains. No transplants, LVADs, or heart failure. Surgeon situation is pretty good, can give more details by PM.

General cases include GI, surgicenter ortho with blocks, urology, gen surg, and main OR orthopedics. Very competent CRNAs in my opinion.

Lots of incentive work available. All holiday work is paid extra. I will probably be in the 675k range on my W2 for this year. Hours approximately 35 per week.

I would estimate if you broke down the W2 pay into an hourly, you're looking at a very high hourly W2 rate per hour of hospital work. This includes all call taken. A colleague of mine worked 1500 hours average the last 2 years and got approximately 675k of base pay. He was called back from home 12 times during the year.

Job 2.

550k base, 25k signing bonus per year for 2-3 years. 10 weeks of vacation.

Same hospital system, different site. Biggest difference is that this site is only cardiac home call. Cardiac call is split between 3 docs when fully staffed. Low call in rate as well. Post call days aren't guaranteed unless you're called in, but there are some sprinkled in days off when staffing allows since cardiac docs don't get post call days there.

Case load is lighter here, more CABGs and valves with less aortic work and no TAVRs. I'm not as sure on the general work because this isn't my main site.

Both sites are 25 minutes or so from the Cincinnati city center. We've got access to pro sports, restaurant scene is pretty good, and the suburbs are extremely affordable with some of the best public schools in the state. I bought a brand new ~4500 sq ft home recently and will be able to pay it off in 5-10 years to avoid the ARM interest rate if rates don't come down.

State + city tax ~ 5% even at higher incomes.

Retirement for both jobs as follows:

23k employee contribution 401k, ~10.5k matching from employer, 20k of post tax contribution can be converted to Roth money by mega backdoor Roth (if you're not sure about this ask, it makes the retirement package almost as good as it can be for W2 job). HSA available. Comes out to about 60k of tax protection you can get in all retirement accounts each year.

Summary:
This is probably the best job I've ever seen or been in that was in a major city with real amenities. I've talked to many, many cardiac practices and never felt like any of them valued the extra training except this one. Quality of life is absolutely second to none for anyone new to the practice. There is no partnership buy in, no tricks, and no hierarchy since it's a small practice. I'm here to raise a family, make money, and set it all up for a lovely life and retirement with my time off.

PM me for details. TEE certification isn't required, but would need to be teachable and/or experienced with cardiac if no certification.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully Cincinnati has improved. At least in the remote past was fairly predatory. Are there AMCs that are good and can be trusted?