Car at Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rushrhees

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious for any temple students do you think a car is needed for the first two years ( I understand when you start clerkships that can greatly depend). I have a car that is fully paid and works, but still deciding whether it is worth it keeping one there as I do not mind public transit.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to pay minimum of $150 a month to keep your car in Philly, and it's definitely not necessary for school. The very soonest you would need a car is January of your third year when you begin medical rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will have to pay minimum of $150 a month to keep your car in Philly, and it's definitely not necessary for school. The very soonest you would need a car is January of your third year when you begin medical rotations.

Having lived in Chicago I do not doubt that parking price. Thanks for the info. Having a car should would be nice, but would rather not incur the expense involved with owning it.

$150!!!!??? Where are you seeing this price? Four blocks east / west of the school and you are paying over $230 a month. $150 is on the very low side.

You do not need a car in center city philadelphia. www.walkscore.com. Center city gets a 99 out of 100 walk score.

If you want a car in Philly and do not want to pay high prices, you can park on the street. Depending on where you live in Philadelphia, you can purchase a "zone" permit for $35 a year. This requires you to register for a PA license plate and proof of address in Philadelphia. This is how they determine your zone and where you can park. If you use this option (as I do), you generally cannot move your car after 7:00 pm as it is almost impossible to find a spot after this time. You also risk having your bumpers destroyed. Mine already are (its been 8 months). :thumbdown:thumbdown