CAP paints rosy job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Could it be that the academic pathology market is expanding while private practice shrinks? With continuing consolidation I think that is entirely possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I think that is plausible. There are jobs... maybe a majority of the jobs are in academics. This graphic I saw on Twitter I think may reflect that.

1000BF5E-8911-44B9-BC6F-A6996393B801.png

A majority of the increase in the number of jobs are at AHCs or academic health centers. A total increase of +87 jobs with a little more than half of those (47) being from academic centers.

I’ve also seen people on Twitter mention that everyone they know has gotten countless jobs but I wonder are these private or academic jobs? See below:

F87687C0-DCD4-476E-B032-A6EC9321D465.jpeg

DCCD825B-8479-4B01-B6FD-24CC7C642A73.jpeg

98A6F6F9-4FDD-4C40-A8F6-97231B88CDA1.jpeg

If most of the people you know who got jobs were academic jobs does that mean the job market is good? One person mentions “every institution he’s seen has interviewed countless for faculty jobs”. I’m guessing he means academic jobs because hes referring to them as being “faculty jobs” and he is a fellow in academia.

If a majority of the newly created jobs are academic does that mean it’s a good job market? Definitely a good job market for those who want to do academics obviously. How about for those vying for private practice jobs?

Last edited:
Yes I think that is plausible. There are jobs... maybe a majority of the jobs are in academics. This graphic I saw on Twitter I think may reflect that.

View attachment 295819

A majority of the increase in the number of jobs are at AHCs or academic health centers. A total increase of +87 jobs with a little more than half of those (47) being from academic centers.

I’ve also seen people on Twitter mention that everyone they know has gotten countless jobs but I wonder are these private or academic jobs? See below:

View attachment 295822

View attachment 295820

View attachment 295821
If most of the people you know who got jobs were academic jobs does that mean the job market is good? One person mentions “every institution he’s seen has interviewed countless for faculty jobs”. I’m guessing he means academic jobs because hes referring to them as being “faculty jobs” and he is a fellow in academia.

If a majority of the newly created jobs are academic does that mean it’s a good job market? Definitely a good job market for those who want to do academics obviously. How about for those vying for private practice jobs?

This twitter account gave me a chuckle. Two fellowships (so far) and an oddball combination at that. Screams of a personality disorder. Probably just sucking up for one of those coveted super fellow jobs in the ivy tower. I wouldn’t consider hiring this combination in my practice for longer than 5 seconds.

Oh yes, the coveted academic job where you're paid 25-50% of what a normal private practice partner makes. Even a Quest path-mill employee job pays about $100K better than what a full professorship pays in most departments (even the respected ones) from what I'm able to see through public records.

Oh yes, the coveted academic job where you're paid 25-50% of what a normal private practice partner makes. Even a Quest path-mill employee job pays about $100K better than what a full professorship pays in most departments (even the respected ones) from what I'm able to see through public records.

Just as an aside, the term “quest path mill”. Is a VERY broad generalization. When I retired they ran the labs of many hospitals, including mine until I left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk