Can't understand this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I am already doing an additional grad degree, I'm not sure it would look great if I extended another year. I think it would look terribly odd to have a medical education spanning 6 years, and to have finished req's 1.5 years before your graduation date. If any questioning comes up, I would think I'd rather explain that I'm finishing up my MPH and the thesis that comes along with it.

Again, looking odd or taking an extra year isn't going to hurt you -- they already will know it's your second round in the match, so any damage of an extra year is already done. But applying as a med student rather than someone who previously graduated, might be advantageous. I'd seriously talk to your deans before going ahead with graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

Again, looking odd or taking an extra year isn't going to hurt you -- they already will know it's your second round in the match, so any damage of an extra year is already done. But applying as a med student rather than someone who previously graduated, might be advantageous. I'd seriously talk to your deans before going ahead with graduation.

It will only be by a few months. The only thing that I think could be feasiable would be to delay step 2 and take it later on, but again, i don't see how that would help me.
It wouldn't be taking one extra year, it would be taking 2! so that's the problem.

I suggested almost exactly this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7881223#post7881223

Even if you are a "6th year student," it looks way better if you're a student rather than an intern...especially in derm.

i just spent 15 minutes reading this thread start to finish and can't believe this has gone on this long. The OP didn't get into derm because he wasn't good enough this year. Period. He didn't have what people were looking for. That's life. It isn't anyone else's fault but his own, certainly not the IMGs, who obviously were better than him even with their IMG status working against them. The personality flaws he has shown in this thread certainly might be the reason he didn't match. He needs to grow up and accept this fact.

No other field of medicine appeals to him. Oh well. That doesn't entitle you to derm, neither does your skin condition no matter how serious. Many people have jobs that are just jobs. Find something else to do and make a paycheck. Or don't.

Do what you were threatening to do earlier in the thread, stop posting on SDN or get a different career field all together. Stop looking for people to white-knight you. This entire thread has become pathetic as he keeps repeating the same thing over and over and over instead of doing things about it. He's now wasted one whole night of his life he could have spent doing something proactive like study for Step II. Ugh.

Stop bumping this thread people, for the OPs good if nothing else.

Wow! >200 posts in 12 hours. That has got to be some sort of record.

OP: I have no advice to give you, but good luck with whatever you end up doing.

i know many IMG's that could probably destroy you on clinical rounds any day of the week...
listen you probably got a 210 on your step 1 ( you posted in a general residency forum talking about IM..not derm)..you have no step 2..you goofed up on your list..you are a disaster. Admit it, polish yourself off and move forward. If you really like derm so much and can't get into it go be a nail technician and make up "artist"..oh and dont forget to get therapy on the weekends..

Last edited:
I think it is understandable that after facing such a setback you're wondering if it was all worth it. People who haven't been through the devastation of not matching don't really appreciate how painful it is to try so hard and not get something you really wanted. I think that's why some people aren't being sympathetic here - they've never been there and don't know how scary and upsetting it is.

However, as another person who did not match in the field I love, I want to urge you not to give up. Right now I think a lot of what your feeling is a reflection of the fact that you haven't had time yet now to accept the situation and it's the frustration talking. Give yourself time, don't burn any bridges, and I think you'll find a way to be happy in medicine. Good luck!

To the OP- I don't have time to read thru all the posts and see if this has been said before, BUT it seems that you have endured some hardships in life. Use this to your advantage. I don't mean blatantly exploit yourself and your problems. There are two rather tragic things in my life that I briefly mentioned in my personal statement, as they related to my journey to med school. In interviews, PDs often focused on how well I must "overcome adversity".

It was nice to have SOMETHING positive come out of horrible events.:luck:

It will only be by a few months. The only thing that I think could be feasiable would be to delay step 2 and take it later on, but again, i don't see how that would help me.
It wouldn't be taking one extra year, it would be taking 2! so that's the problem.

Why do you so vehemently argue with every bit of advice thats given to you? What Law2Doc is is solid advice, and you should do what you can to follow it. Not being a current medical student during the application process is BAD. This is well known by nontraditional applicants and US-IMGs that you hate so much. Every US-IMG knows.... apply in your 4th year, be absolutely sure that the Step2 CS/CK score appears on the application and is higher than Step1. You arent doing either one.

The reason behind having already graduated doesn't matter to the PC. On residency apps, you dont get a chance to explain things. The Program Coordinator just flys through applications and decides who will get an interview. You already have things that raise eyebrows on your applicaton. Having already completed med school makes the PC think "Gosh, this is unusual... an applicant that already graduated... I'll file this under G... for GARBAGE"

Anyway. I hope you slept well, and are ready to tackle a new day. Now get off the SDN, and get to work.

OP, I know you are disappointed, but you are NOT the only person who was qualified who didn't match into derm this year, or any other year.

The whole issue of IMG/FMG's is a separate issue and isn't why you didn't match into derm. Anyway, it is something you cannot control so don't waste time worrying about that. You could have gotten a prelim spot if you had done your rank list correctly, but you didn't. It sucks if your school didn't give good advice, but realistically, lots of med schools don't. They take your tuition money and they provide some classes, and they are pretty much done. That's life, and that's how grad and professional school is. You should have taken responsibility for knowing how the Match and rank list worked. You should have had a backup plan, as EVERY derm applicant should.

Saying you were offered an ortho spot sounds over the top, when it sounds like you were encouraged to apply, which is NOT the same thing.

Nevertheless, I know some people are being a bit harsh on here. It IS disappointing to not match, but you are NOT the only person who was qualified but didn't get their spot in ortho, derm, urology, GI, cardiology, and all the other competitive fields. It's a zero sum game and some qualified people will get left out every year. The is particularly true in derm/ortho/plastics/urology. It's just life. I know you feel like you have struggled more than most anyone else, but other people have struggled too. Also, the derm programs don't have to pick you base don how much you have struggled vs. not struggled...they are trying to pick the best candidates for THEM, for THEIR program...they don't have to give you a spot because you feel entitled to one.

You may never get a derm spot, but you may. It probably would be marginally harder to get a spot next year, but I don't think it's impossible at all. You already got a bunch of interviews this year, so definitely some programs found you qualified. You should have taken the Step II if your Step 1 was below the average for derm applicants, but that's 20/20 hindsight to say that. I think what would help most would probably be to get a derm publication(s). If you can't find a research spot at your school, then start looking at NIH research fellowships, or other derm research fellowships, or something. You have to do something to set yourself apart, since it seems you really want derm and nothing else. You also need to have a backup plan. If you don't like internal medicine, then consider pathology...it's a cushy specialty and I think that you can find many links with derm and derm research.

People get disappointed in life. Even some of the top/good students in med school don't get their desired specialty, especially not on the first try. I think to bail out on med school sounds overly dramatic and like a bad decision to me. It's certainly not a decision I, or a lot of other students, could have made, since most of us couldn't pay our loans doing most other careers/occupations.

i know many IMG's that could probably destroy you on clinical rounds any day of the week...
listen you probably got a 210 on your step 1 ( you posted in a general residency forum talking about IM..not derm)..you have no step 2..you goofed up on your list..you are a disaster. Admit it, polish yourself off and move forward. If you really like derm so much and can't get into it go be a nail technician and make up "artist"..oh and dont forget to get therapy on the weekends..

You are absolutely insane. It's so absolutely ridiculous for you to make empty statement about things you have no idea about. At this point, you are harassing me. So if you don't have anything constructive to say, stay away.

I think it is understandable that after facing such a setback you're wondering if it was all worth it. People who haven't been through the devastation of not matching don't really appreciate how painful it is to try so hard and not get something you really wanted. I think that's why some people aren't being sympathetic here - they've never been there and don't know how scary and upsetting it is.

However, as another person who did not match in the field I love, I want to urge you not to give up. Right now I think a lot of what your feeling is a reflection of the fact that you haven't had time yet now to accept the situation and it's the frustration talking. Give yourself time, don't burn any bridges, and I think you'll find a way to be happy in medicine. Good luck!

thanks peppy, and I'm sorry you did not match either. :( What specialty were you going for, and what are your plans until next match?

Why do you so vehemently argue with every bit of advice thats given to you?

Gosh, could it be because the OP had a major setback and just feels horrible about it? She already admitted she was wallowing. Give this poor person a break, especially if she agrees to back off of IMGs.

Okay, here's my 2 cents:

Maybe I was a bit harsh on you before, the comments about IMGs were uncalled for. You apologized, I'm over it.

Do not quit. Not going through the Match is not as much of a big deal as you would think. And I speak from personal experience. I sat out from the Match due to personal reasons (sick parent). I know it is not the same as not matching, but on an application it looks the same. Eiither way, there is a year gap between med school and residency. I went on 12 interviews the next Match season. And do you know not a single person asked me about the gap? Not one. During the gap, I also filled my time with some research. Research that wasn't even in the field I was applying. I just didn't want it to look like I was sitting on my a** for a year. So it all worked out in the end. I had 2 strikes against me. I'm an IMG, and I sat out for a year.

Good luck.

Gosh, could it be because the OP had a major setback and just feels horrible about it? She already admitted she was wallowing. Give this poor person a break, especially if she agrees to back off of IMGs.

Thanks Nancy.

Okay, here's my 2 cents:

Maybe I was a bit harsh on you before, the comments about IMGs were uncalled for. You apologized, I'm over it.

Do not quit. Not going through the Match is not as much of a big deal as you would think. And I speak from personal experience. I sat out from the Match due to personal reasons (sick parent). I know it is not the same as not matching, but on an application it looks the same. Eiither way, there is a year gap between med school and residency. I went on 12 interviews the next Match season. And do you know not a single person asked me about the gap? Not one. During the gap, I also filled my time with some research. Research that wasn't even in the field I was applying. I just didn't want it to look like I was sitting on my a** for a year. So it all worked out in the end. I had 2 strikes against me. I'm an IMG, and I sat out for a year.

Good luck.

Thank you Tigerz. I appreciate your comments and your story.

:rolleyes: I guess its for the best that Im not going into psych.

:rolleyes: I guess its for the best that Im not going into psych.

I didn't mean to say that, I just feel bad for this person because she had a big setback and now it's broadcast all over SDN where people are bombarding her with advice, at a time where she's probably not the most receptive to it, which makes it super tempting to lecture. She's actually taking some of the advice--look, she's talking less about quitting, and no longer is ranting about IMGs, which is good. I can understand wanting to wallow, at least briefly, when you suffer a setback. It kind of sucks that the internet is right there to capture people's basest thoughts. Everyone probably has some version of that when they go through something bad. It's never pretty. And I doubt the people who did match into derm had better motives so it's not really fair to set a higher standard for someone at the worst time in their life.

Plus, what are we all doing reading this thread? It's like watching a car wreck on the highway. I can't imagine 200+ people really care about someone who didn't match into derm, especially when this year there were people who didn't even match into psych. Like I said this is just schaudenfreude.

Medstudentquest, I do hope you find your strength and hang in there. Try to absorb the advice people are giving you, if you can--they probably mean well and it's good advice! Listen to your family and your heart. Life goes on and that's what it's all about!

Plus, what are we all doing reading this thread? It's like watching a car wreck on the highway. I can't imagine 200+ people really care about someone who didn't match into derm, especially when this year there were people who didn't even match into psych. Like I said this is just schaudenfreude.

The OP started three other threads asking for help, to which forumites reacted most helpfully - Taurus and Skypilot explaining how she filled the match list incorrectly so she can avoid that in the future, even lowly IMGs searching and brainstorming on the OP's behalf, in a nutshell, a massive outpour of sympathy. I said I sympathize and I still do. I've filled so many nightmarish visa applications in my life I can understand how a single error can cost a year of one's life.

By contrast, the OP started this current thread attacking IMGs and scapegoating them for her present situation. This thread received the responses it deserved (i.e. showing no empathy equals receiving no empathy) and it has nothing to do with her other threads.

Last edited:
Op. I know what you are feeling and going through. I did not match in 2007, which was just unheard of, or at least we all thought so, at my school, until it happened to 6 of us! I was devastated, and didn't understand (and still really don't) how that could happen to me. I was the "ideal" candidate or so I thought. It still (2 years later) is the worst feeling I've had so far, and for the last two match days, I've remembered that feeling and still feel kind of sad for what I "lost" that day. I scrambled unsuccessfully for TWO WEEKS!!! some people think it all ends on that first day or two, but not so. It was like failing to match daily for 2 weeks, as I faxed, called emailed etc. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone. I definitely became depressed, withdrew from friends, thought about not going to graduation...I felt like my whole life dream had been stolen. And I had negative destructive thoughts too (just didn't verbalize them on the internet) like "how could she have matched and I didn't? etc.." which weren't right, just like some of your comments weren't right either. It's within the spectrum of normal to have unproductive thoughts, just try to keep them to yourself or only to someone who really knows you and knows you are just venting frustration. Cause otherwise you end up looking like a jerk and its hard for people to sympathize.
I contacted PDs at places that sent me letters promising I was "ranked to match" and all that bull...to find out what i could do to improve, no response. The reality is that you will probably never really know why. Believe it or not, after all hope was lost, after I had accepted a prelim spot and resigned myself to re applying I found a spot after graduation before the start of residency and got it. Miracle probably, but I would have never found it if I had quit. I'm not at all suggesting you will find an open derm spot in the next few months, just that you never know what may happen. It's hard now, your outlook is bleak and i know you feel so bad, I really know cause I've been there. This is a hard pill to swallow, and something I'm still not totally over even though it's long over. It made me doubt my abilities and not trust my own instincts. But you will be successful (not necessarily the way you think) if you can try to keep going and don't give up. Please PM me if you want to talk more.

This has to be a joke thread. Who needs TV when you have SDN. :banana:

Anesthesia is something I've considered and it's a consideration if I never get into derm.

You know, anesthesia is really hard. You have to get up real early, most days you might not get more than 10 or 20 minutes off the whole day because you're always in the OR. If you don't like being hungry and abandoned in the a room listening to beeps, dreaming sweet sweet dreams of lunch, anesthesia might not be for you.

Second, those CRNAs are really coming after us! We're about 3 pieces of pinko commie legislation away from primary care salaries as CRNAs and sedation nurses take over our turf. It's a scary time.

And we spend a significant amount of time covering OB, which you despise. I'd hate to see you suffer their company.

Furthermore, the only personality disorders we accept are OCD, avoidant, and perhaps to a lesser extent, schizoid. You're narcissistic and histrionic; dude, you're not even in the right cluster!

No, anesthesia is definitely not for you. No need to look in our direction.

Glad I could help out.

Schaudenfreude. This thread and all its posters are the definition of it.

I've known hardworking, humble, good people who didn't match and had to endure the scramble. It's heartbreaking and I wish them the best. I'm grateful that I matched into my specialty at the program I wanted most. I know it could've been me (except in my case, as one with a military obligation, it would've meant at least a year with the infantry).

And then this clown flies in. Didn't match in derm - OK, that's unfortunate, but anyone who reaches for the stars might miss. A lot of extremely impressive people don't get derm, and after a couple decades of a life that was probably completely devoid of even the smallest failure, that must hurt.

I start reading, all set to offer sympathy & condolences, maybe even a bit of advice or encouragement if I think I have something to offer. But wait ... he shirks responsibility yet screwed up his ROL ... has contempt for other specialties ... badmouths IMGs ... views my specialty as a 2nd tier lifestyle backup plan ... gripes and complains about post after post of sincere, reasonable, good advice ...

So yes. Sympathy faded and a hint of schadenfreude trickled in.

Late to the party and probably beating a dead horse at this point, but some thoughts:

-OP, I think what has caused a lot of people to become frustrated with you is the feeling that if they were in your shoes right now, they'd be doing things very differently - banging down the doors of everyone who might be able to help; trying to network with new people; trying to maximize your opportunities while you are still in med school. For whatever reasons, you aren't really doing that, and I think that has thrown a lot of people for a loop.

-You've gotten some very good advice here. If you really think there is a chance of trying to match in a different field, do everything you can to rotate through that field before graduating. I know it's late in the year; I know it's not what you want to do right now; but you have so much more available opportunity IN med school than you will afterwards.

-At some point, if you want people to be sympathetic to your situation, you have to own up. You say your step I is low (for derm), but you didn't take step II because people at your school typically take it late...I say so what? You should have taken it earlier to maximize the strength of your application. You say you talked to the NRMP folks...I say so what? You needed to meticulously ensure that every detail of your rank list was done correctly. And don't even get me started on your IMG sidetrack. You have to take some responsibility for what happened if you want people to care about your plight.

Late to the party and probably beating a dead horse at this point, but some thoughts:

-OP, I think what has caused a lot of people to become frustrated with you is the feeling that if they were in your shoes right now, they'd be doing things very differently - banging down the doors of everyone who might be able to help; trying to network with new people; trying to maximize your opportunities while you are still in med school. For whatever reasons, you aren't really doing that, and I think that has thrown a lot of people for a loop.

-You've gotten some very good advice here. If you really think there is a chance of trying to match in a different field, do everything you can to rotate through that field before graduating. I know it's late in the year; I know it's not what you want to do right now; but you have so much more available opportunity IN med school than you will afterwards.

-At some point, if you want people to be sympathetic to your situation, you have to own up. You say your step I is low (for derm), but you didn't take step II because people at your school typically take it late...I say so what? You should have taken it earlier to maximize the strength of your application. You say you talked to the NRMP folks...I say so what? You needed to meticulously ensure that every detail of your rank list was done correctly. And don't even get me started on your IMG sidetrack. You have to take some responsibility for what happened if you want people to care about your plight.

Some people have been sympathetic and understanding and have been able to truly understand me from a more human perspective.

There are alot of people on a high horse here, and like some other poster said, if these same people were in my shoes, they would likely act the same.

I have done everything in my power to change my situation. I have talked to and come up with multiple ideas for my own PD in Im, other PD's in IM, I have called programs, etc etc etc.

You say the following, about people here would *have done* "- banging down the doors of everyone who might be able to help; trying to network with new people; trying to maximize your opportunities while you are still in med school." What of this have I not done?

I doubt it that people in my situation would be able to do things that I havent. I can't force my PD or any other PD to give me a spot. I can't force the admins to give me a spot or to listen to me. I call and email and request until I'm blue in the face.

What would these other posters really be able to do? If they didn't do the scramble, they wouldn't know what a nightmare it was. they wouldn't know how difficult it has been to find a prelim spot, and how many excellent people went unmatched.

Alot of what people "would do" is in theory, and if you notice, the posters that have been the most sympathetic overall are those who are or have been in my same shoes. It's easy to speak of what we could do, but when you are in the situation, it's not as easy, is it?

As far as doing other things in med school, I am trying to study for step 2 at this point, which is essential and I'm trying to do as well as I possibly can, trying to have a research project completed, and trying to study for exams in my MPH. so i'm doing plenty, i'm not sitting on my butt all day doing nothing. At the same time, I'm looking into opportunities to do additional research in June when I'll likely be finished if an opportunity doesn't come up in a prelim position, and I'm working with one of the PD's who interviewed me who liked me sufficiently to try to even create a spot for me in his program.

So as you can see, I think you are incorrect, as are others, in the perception that i'm not doing much. quite the contrary. And again, if otheres were in my same position, I don't think they would be so wonderful and perfect that they would solve everything in a matter of seconds. This is something highly unexpected and that is hurtful and sad, as I'm sure it was for all those other people who did not match. For those who have not experienced not being able to match, I think it's difficult for them to understand, and I'd hope they'd be a bit more sympathetic.

Stop. Just stop.

1) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=396753
-complaining about a needle stick affecting your grade

2) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=421527
-complaining about the subjectivity of clinical grading (there were more, I'm just kind and posted 1)

3) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=461611
-complaining about not matching because of a low Step 1 secondary to a "learning disability"

4) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=463533
-complaining about a rotation where the intern was incompetent

5) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=579868
-here is the thread showing full well you knew what you were getting yourself into when applying for derm

And in the last couple of days,
6) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=611286
-you say you're okay with not matching in derm, just shocked with not matching into prelim

7) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=613294
-and now we arrive at this thread. You've made the full U-turn and escalated to whining about not getting into derm, missing out on your dream, and lashing out at IMGs

I really do hope you are a troll (a dedicated one at that). Because the alternative would mean someone willingly accepted you into medical school and entrusted you with patients. What do you do? You take this honor, turn around at every little mishap along the road, and find someone else to blame. If the latter is true, forget derm. You are unfit to practice medicine.

[drops microphone, steps off the soapbox, vacates the thread to thunderous applause]

Stop. Just stop.

-complaining about the subjectivity of clinical grading (there were more, I'm just kind and posted 1)

-complaining about not matching because of a low Step 1 secondary to a "learning disability"

-here is the thread showing full well you knew what you were getting yourself into when applying for derm

-you say you're okay with not matching in derm, just shocked with not matching into prelim

-and now we arrive at this thread. You've made the full U-turn and escalated to whining about not getting into derm, missing out on your dream, and lashing out at IMGs

I really do hope you are a troll (a dedicated one at that). Because the alternative would mean someone willingly accepted you into medical school and entrusted you with patients. What do you do? You take this honor, turn around at every little mishap along the road, and find someone else to blame. If the latter is true, forget derm. You are unfit to practice medicine.

[drops microphone, steps off the soapbox, vacates the thread to thunderous applause]

This is a forum, and there is nothing wrong with venting on it. We all know there are countless things wrong with what happens in medical school and how things are done. I don't see why you are on your soapbox. I doubt it you've never been frustrated by how clinical grading is done, or if you were stuck with a needle, I doubt it you'd be ok with it.

If you don't have any physical illnesses and don't have any learning disabilities that affect you, you should consider yourself blessed. I have both, and therefore i have to work twice as hard, and I've done so very successfully.

Saying I am unfit to practice medicine is absolutely ridiculous. If you are in medicine, you should base what you say on actual evidence, which obviously you have none. I doubt it I would have gotten this far and done as well as I've done if I was unfit. Not to mention, if you've been blessed with nothing going wrong with your medical school training, you should consider yourself lucky and blessed.

Btw-the incompetent intern who I spoke about was known to be incompetent by everyone, including other students, senior residents, and attendings, and is no longer in the program.

It's not about not wanting to move forward, it's that it's likely that after 5 years of being in school to get an MD/MPH, it's all been in vain really. I guess the blame is always all on the student (i.e.: me), the people I talked to do not take any responsibility for making the mistake they did, and all the blame falls on me.

I went from being a fabulous student to being nothing next match. I have talked to my dean and my PD and all the other PD's at the programs I interviewed. The dean wouldn't/didn't help with anything. The other PD told me to stay in contact with him but he couldn't open up any spots. I have heard of other students in other institutions where spots have been opened up for them to help them out, especially in extenuating circumstances like these. My school is not willing to do that for me or for other students. The PD is not able/willing to do that either.

It's like, you go from being told how great you are an how far you'll go and working your behind off to do well, to not matching and becoming an untouchable.

It's pretty much the end of my career at this point. Apparently it's the end of the world if you don't match the first time. So I guess getting into a good school in the US, being at the top of your class, doing well in rotations, means nothing.

It's a very sad ending for me. At this point I'm really considering simply withdrawing from school. What's the point of taking Step 2 and finishing my research project? It doesn't mean anything in the end.

I'm sorry I'm frustrated and facing an unfortunate situation where no one is really willing to help with anything. My career is over before it even begun.

So yes, I'm venting. Sorry it bothers others so much.
They system is rigged; the nrmp system is bull****, it artificially keeps salaries down and work hours up. your life isnt over and neither are your career. think of this as a blessing in disguise. call every program and scramble into a program. seriously. but i agree the system is rigged in their favor.

They system is rigged; the nrmp system is bull****, it artificially keeps salaries down and work hours up. your life isnt over and neither are your career. think of this as a blessing in disguise. call every program and scramble into a program. seriously. but i agree the system is rigged in their favor.

Well the system definitely is not in our favor. And I"m waiting to hear on a program that may just be able to help me out!!!! :) Waiting hopefully here.

I think you are incorrect in your perception. I love derm and would be willing to put an extra research year, heck, i'd be willing to do 2 years of research for free even if I could get in. but I may never get in.

So if I can't get in, what am I supposed to do? I enjoyed my anesthesia rotation in med school and almost did an externship in it as well. I have to prepare myself for the fact that I may not be able to get into derm. :(

It'll likely be difficult to find a meaningful research year project and even though I'm still proactively looking for a prelim spot, it may not pan out. I am done with med school and already have taken more electives than I was required to, and I'm in the process of finishing up a research project.

If you've read my other posts, you'll notice I stated that I have talked to my dean, IM PD, and the PD's of other IM programs and at this point, there is only one small ray of light that one program told me they could potentially do something, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

you are in the phase of denial.. you will soon come to the phase of acceptance. Just find something else to do.. why do you HAVE to do derm? Become a FP DOC, then go to derm. I didnt get my first choice of specialty because i wasnt willing to work that hard in medical school .So i chose something 3rd down the line and much happier. i dont have any pressure on myself. I dont LOVE what i do. I dont even LIke it. but all i need to do is about 8-10 more years and IM OUT.

you are in the phase of denial.. you will soon come to the phase of acceptance. Just find something else to do.. why do you HAVE to do derm? Become a FP DOC, then go to derm. I didnt get my first choice of specialty because i wasnt willing to work that hard in medical school .So i chose something 3rd down the line and much happier. i dont have any pressure on myself. I dont LOVE what i do. I dont even LIke it. but all i need to do is about 8-10 more years and IM OUT.

I have worked very hard in med school, and have done well. What do you do, if I may ask? I don't like FP at all, so that's not an option. I will still try for derm.

I also want to do medicine for many years to come. Why do you say in 8-10 years you are out?

"There are alot of people on a high horse here, and like some other poster said, if these same people were in my shoes, they would likely act the same."

I'm pretty insulted by this. I could never see myself shrivel into a little ball of self-pity or act like a 15 year old girl who broke up with her first boyfriend. Stop whining and start taking the advice that has been given to you. I hope to sweet Baby Jesus that I never see you in my field.

"There are alot of people on a high horse here, and like some other poster said, if these same people were in my shoes, they would likely act the same."

I'm pretty insulted by this. I could never see myself shrivel into a little ball of self-pity or act like a 15 year old girl who broke up with her first boyfriend. Stop whining and start taking the advice that has been given to you. I hope to sweet Baby Jesus that I never see you in my field.

If you matched successfully, then you should consider yourself blessed. Most people would be in the same situation I was in if they did not match. You don't know what it's like not to match. I have proactively done what I could and have pulled all the strings I have. Unless you have no human emotion, you'd feel the same as I do. I know everyone else who did not match feels the same. But you don't know what that is like, do you?

You are pretty harsh for not having walked in my shoes. If you have no good suggestions, then please don't make statements that are out of line.

Stop. Just stop.

:claps:

you are in the phase of denial.. you will soon come to the phase of acceptance. Just find something else to do.. why do you HAVE to do derm? Become a FP DOC, then go to derm.

Whoa, hold up. Now, you see, that's just bad advice.

OP, you don't want to do FP. Everything people say about us is true. We're dumb, we're overextended, we work too hard, we're lazy, we don't know what we're doing, we're underpaid. Yea, that's it. We're UNDER. PAID. You don't want that, now do you?

Like everyone has said throughout medical school, you're TOO SMART to be an FP. You don't want to be associated with us *****s.

Plus you'll have to do things like peds, nursing home, OB. Yea. OB. I believe you said you despise OB.

Oh, and FP is mostly social work anyways. There's hardly any medicine. In fact, there's NO medicine. And that's why we're sooo skerd of midlevels. You wouldn't like that.

I mean, it's just absolutely awful. Awful, I tell you. You don't want to do that for 3 years. 3 YEARS! People get convicted of crimes and get out sooner than we do!

No no no. You were meant to be a dermatologist. Please don't become an FP.

... may I suggest surgery-prelim?

Whoa, hold up. Now, you see, that's just bad advice.

OP, you don't want to do FP. Everything people say about us is true. We're dumb, we're overextended, we work too hard, we're lazy, we don't know what we're doing, we're underpaid. Yea, that's it. We're UNDER. PAID. You don't want that, now do you?

Like everyone has said throughout medical school, you're TOO SMART to be an FP. You don't want to be associated with us *****s.

Plus you'll have to do things like peds, nursing home, OB. Yea. OB. I believe you said you despise OB.

Oh, and FP is mostly social work anyways. There's hardly any medicine. In fact, there's NO medicine. And that's why we're sooo skerd of midlevels. You wouldn't like that.

I mean, it's just absolutely awful. Awful, I tell you. You don't want to do that for 3 years. 3 YEARS! People get convicted of crimes and get out sooner than we do!

No no no. You were meant to be a dermatologist. Please don't become an FP.

... may I suggest surgery-prelim?

I appreciate your encouragement, but I certainly don't think FP doctors are dumb or anything like that. Certainly not *****s! There are many wonderful FP docs and you guys provide very valuable service! It's just that it's something that I personally don't like. And yes, i really hate OB so that would be a problem.

I can't do a surgery-prelim. Besides I'm waiting to hear on one program that could potentially with this respect.

So, in looking in the "learning disability" thread you state you had a slightly BELOW average step one score, yet you are shocked you didn't match in dermatology? Is this correct? Yikes!

So, in looking in the "learning disability" thread you state you had a slightly BELOW average step one score, yet you are shocked you didn't match in dermatology? Is this correct? Yikes!

I have explained this thoroughly.

I appreciate your encouragement, but I certainly don't think FP doctors are dumb or anything like that. Certainly not *****s! There are many wonderful FP docs and you guys provide very valuable service! It's just that it's something that I personally don't like. And yes, i really hate OB so that would be a problem.

I can't do a surgery-prelim. Besides I'm waiting to hear on one program that could potentially with this respect.

Encouragement?

If I wrote that legend, and somone called that encouragement, I'd be pretty upset. Almost as if all of my hard work and creativity were for naught.

*notes.... Thought.... Process.... Content....Abstract....*

How do you really HATE OB, and FP? What is it? Is it the patients? The money? The work hours? What?

Encouragement?

If I wrote that legend, and somone called that encouragement, I'd be pretty upset. Almost as if all of my hard work and creativity were for naught.

*notes.... Thought.... Process.... Content....Abstract....*

How do you really HATE OB, and FP? What is it? Is it the patients? The money? The work hours? What?

I absolutely hate OB yes, and I don't like FP. Why would I have to like it? Why do I not have the right to not like it? Is everyone supposed to like/love it?

I don't understand why you are judging what I like and don't like. Different people like different specialties. That's not hard to understand.

I don't understand what's so difficult to comprehend about it. I simply don't like it. If you want to go into OB and/or FP, good for you. I don't.

And based on my application, yes I should have gotten in.

I absolutely hate OB yes, and I don't like FP. Why would I have to like it? Why do I not have the right to not like it? Is everyone supposed to like/love it?

I don't understand why you are judging what I like and don't like. Different people like different specialties. That's not hard to understand.

I don't understand what's so difficult to comprehend about it. I simply don't like it. If you want to go into OB and/or FP, good for you. I don't.

Based on your app. NO you shoud have not gotten in! You filled out your app wrong, and your got a low Step1 score, among other things!

People are judging you based on what you like and dont like, because by all of our evidence, you dont like ANYTHING about the medical field. There is no reason you should like Derm.... besides..... wait for it...... wait for it...... THE MONEY.

We arent dummies. Program Directors arent dummies. It doesnt take a psychiatrist to figure people out. Attendings who do teaching rounds dont take a class on figuring out who's a gunner, whos a showoff, whos really passionate, who works hard. We all do it. We all know on the wards, when someone is passionate about a particular field. We can all tell... "oh that guy is good with peds" or "shes really good with reading EKGs" or "Did you know he spent a half hour with that patient explaining diet and exercise?". We also know when someone spends their day sleeping in the library, or doesnt volunteer to take the new admission, or is chasing money, or has their head in the clouds....

Based on your app. NO you shoud have not gotten in! You filled out your app wrong, and your got a low Step1 score, among other things!

People are judging you based on what you like and dont like, because by all of our evidence, you dont like ANYTHING about the medical field. There is no reason you should like Derm.... besides..... wait for it...... wait for it...... THE MONEY.

We arent dummies. Program Directors arent dummies. It doesnt take a psychiatrist to figure people out. Attendings who do teaching rounds dont take a class on figuring out who's a gunner, whos a showoff, whos really passionate, who works hard. We all do it. We all know on the wards, when someone is passionate about a particular field. We can all tell... "oh that guy is good with peds" or "shes really good with reading EKGs" or "Did you know he spent a half hour with that patient explaining diet and exercise?". We also know when someone spends their day sleeping in the library, or doesnt volunteer to take the new admission, or is chasing money, or has their head in the clouds....

I should have absolutely gotten in. I have already stated I have a bit below a 240 on step I, which is somewhat lower than needed for derm, but plenty of people have gotten in! I have a very clear reason why I want to go into derm. Maybe you don't know it or understand.

You have 0 right to judge me. It's like saying everyone who goes into surgery does it for the money or plastics, or people who go into ER are lazy, or people who go into FP are dumb, etc.

You are way overstepping your bounds here. You cannot think that you have any right to have the ability to ascribe WHY people go into what they want to go into. I was encouraged to go into derm by multiple people, and repeatedly told how fantastic I was. I didn't get in the first time. Lots of people don't.

Are you going to accuse all the people in the derm forum that all they want is to get $$$ too? That's pretty shallow. Go and attack orthopods, and people who go into rads too for that matter. Just attack everyone who doesn't do FP or peds or IM. That's ridiculous.

Oh, and the reason I asked...

Nobody "simply" doesnt like anything. Theres always a reason.

I dont like OB... I dont like the screaming, I dont like the mess, I dont want to involve myself in the social/ethical issues, I dont care to master the physiology of pregnancy and delivery.
I really liked gyn... I like the surgery, I like treating cancer in young people, I like the continuity of care from the clinic to the OR, I like the endocrine physiology...
I would never want to do OB

I dont like FP... I'm not keen on the responsibilty of having a gi-normous breadth of knowledge about OB, Peds, gyn, Medicine, geriatrics.... and then not having the depth of knowledge.
But... I like knowing a bit about everything...
Dont really want to do FP either....

See the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.