Can't understand this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These threads and posts continue to be a...
train-wreck1.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you understood. I wanted to go into derm, so I did derm specialties.

Anesthesia, ortho, ophtho, ENT, etc. etc are all REQUIRED rotations we have to do. Can't graduate if you don't do them.

Really? That's curious. At my school we are required to do 1 wk of ophtho, 1 wk of ENT, 2 wks anesthesia, and no ortho. Why would any school require students to do an ortho rotation? Why not throw in required radiology, rad/onc, and PRS for good measure? :laugh:

I wouldn't expect you to. It's human nature for our opinions to be self-serving. .

Fair enough. My agitation is based on the initial OP's statement that basically blames IMG for her lack of matching. She apologized, and thank you for that.

There are not enough hours in the day to discuss the IMG vs AMG concept of the Match.

Goodnight all!

I don't think you understood. I wanted to go into derm, so I did derm specialties.

Anesthesia, ortho, ophtho, ENT, etc. etc are all REQUIRED rotations we have to do. Can't graduate if you don't do them.

Look. We are not the ones you have to convince. We arent not PD's. We do not have a residency to offer you. We do not have a research-fellowship to offer you. We are simply observers who have never met you who are giving you advice since you solicited it and continue to solicit it.

If you dont like our advice, dont take it. Whether you choose to take our advice and consider a backup specialty and study your ass of for Step II is really up to you.

What I find annoying about this thread is you keep asking the same question and expecting a different answer. No one can change whether or not FMGs or IMGs apply for residency and get ranked high. No one has a secret about how to get a derm spot they are keeping from you. No one can do the work for you or change the past.

How you choose to approach the future is up to you alone. I recommend you not put all your eggs in one basket and use the next few months wisely. But that is a decision only you can make.

Really? That's curious. At my school we are required to do 1 wk of ophtho, 1 wk of ENT, 2 wks anesthesia, and no ortho. Why would any school require students to do an ortho rotation? Why not throw in required radiology, rad/onc, and PRS for good measure? :laugh:

We do 1 week of ophtho as well yes. Ortho is req for 2 weeks for us. Radiology for 2 weeks and ER as well for the same amount of time. No rad/onc or PRS required. Derm is also a requirement for everyone, regardless of whether you want to go into it or not. Of course, if you are interested in going into it, you'll just do it longer.

Look. We are not the ones you have to convince. We arent not PD's. We do not have a residency to offer you. We do not have a research-fellowship to offer you. We are simply observers who have never met you who are giving you advice since you solicited it and continue to solicit it.

If you dont like our advice, dont take it. Whether you choose to take our advice and consider a backup specialty and study your ass of for Step II is really up to you.

What I find annoying about this thread is you keep asking the same question and expecting a different answer. No one can change whether or not FMGs or IMGs apply for residency and get ranked high. No one has a secret about how to get a derm spot they are keeping from you. No one can do the work for you or change the past.

How you choose to approach the future is up to you alone. I recommend you not put all your eggs in one basket and use the next few months wisely. But that is a decision only you can make.

Not trying to convince you, I was just explaining to you how rotations work for us. that's all.

What he means is that you have done rotations in Derm, Anesthesia, ENT, Optho, and Ortho... youve dabbled in only the highest paying of specialties... Again, a dig at your character.

Referencing this thread:

So at this point, what is the likelihood (say on a scale of 1-100) that some decent prelim medicine position would open up before July 1?

I think it would be difficult to find a good research opportunity at this point since obviously I was expecting to match were it not for the problem with the rank list.

If I just finish my MPH until the next match (obviously which starts in a few months), will it be detrimental? In other words, will committees think negatively of this?

I have talked to anyone I can think of but no positions are open now. Should I just get used to the idea that I won't be able to find anything until next match?

Another thing. Would it be reasonable to give up on derm and start considering other specialties? I thought about the possibility of taking more electives in say anesthesia or rads which are two specialties I have considered before, but obviously are not the ideal specialty that I'd like to go into. Would it be looked upon as strange if I did some rotations in these specialties at the end of my M4 year that are unrelated to the rotations I've taken before?

Please advise.

I love it! :smuggrin:

:( what do you suggest I do? something i hate like surgery or ob if i can't get in?

Hate is a strong word.

Would you please TRY and convince me that you have a reason for an interest in Derm, besides money? Tell me that you are interested in TEN, SJS. Tell me that you saw a patient die of pemphigus vulgaris, and that set you on a mission. Tell me that your heart goes out to patients in Asia that have leprosy....

Family Practice and moreover, Pathology deal with derm... what about those?

I believe SoCuteMD laid out what she recommends you do. I agree with her suggestions.

Listen, you will NEVER know if you could have matched derm if you don't try again. IMHO, do your best to put this behind you in the coming weeks, months. Spend some time on a rads or anesthesia elective, just get in the hospital (you never know who you might meet that is in a position to help you). See if you like either one. Enjoy graduation - you've earned it. Finishing medical school is a huge accomplishment.

If a prelim spot comes up, take it - you'll finish your first year for derm, rads, anesthesia, or medicine. Study your ass of for Step 2. In June, after graduation, dig out and dust off your personal statement and CV. Polish them and bring them to 2 mentors - 1 in derm, and 1 in a chosen back-up field. Go see your dean as well and get his/her opinion on your application. Submit on Sep 1. Apply as broadly to derm as family/marital constraints will allow you to. Do practice interviews with any faculty member who is willing. Go on every interview you can. Basically - take the application process and make it your b----. If, at the end of all that you end up without a derm spot, then start training in your #2 specialty. If you hate it, leave. Nothing lost, you were thinking of quitting anyways.

You really CAN do this, if you make up your mind to grab this ****ty situation by the balls and turn it around.

I also suggest setting your oven timer and limiting yourself to 30 mins on SDN per day. Use the rest of the time you otherwise would be on here to start studying for Step II.

There are many specialties out there other than derm, OB, and surgery. But if you truly hate everything other than derm and would rather do nothing, then go soley for derm. If you are willing to consider a backup specialty that you may or may not "hate," apply for both of course ranking derm higher.

Hate is a strong word.

Would you please TRY and convince me that you have a reason for an interest in Derm, besides money? Tell me that you are interested in TEN, SJS. Tell me that you saw a patient die of pemphigus vulgaris, and that set you on a mission. Tell me that your heart goes out to patients in Asia that have leprosy, or patients in South America that have Chagas disease....

Family Practice and moreover, Pathology deal with derm... what about those?

i moved to this country because i almost die from a derm related disease. our lives were entirely changed. i would like to work on blistering diseases and immunopathology. that's my ultimate goal. several of my family members spanning generations had cancer and relapses, i myself have had surgery bc of growths. FP deals with common, every day basic medicine.

even if i did not like derm, i would not go into FP. pathology does not deal with derm. you deal mostly with tissues and histology. no patient interaction.

why are you trying to convince me to go into something else?

i moved to this country because i almost die from a derm related disease. our lives were entirely changed. i would like to work on blistering diseases and immunopathology. that's my ultimate goal. several of my family members spanning generations had cancer and relapses, i myself have had surgery bc of growths. FP deals with common, every day basic medicine.

even if i did not like derm, i would not go into FP. pathology does not deal with derm. you deal mostly with tissues and histology. no patient interaction.

Im not trying to convince you to go into something else... Im trying to plant a seed in your head that will lead you to understand that, should you end up in something else, if you open your mind you'll find a niche there.

Because you asked for our recommendations. And we do not want to see you focus so narrowly on derm that you loose your opportunity to practice any kind of medicine.

1.jpg

... FP deals with common, every day basic medicine.

even if i did not like derm, i would not go into FP. ...

I actually think there are fellowship opportunities in derm from FP. From a quick google search, I found eg. http://www.aafp.org/fellowships/10000.html. I suspect there are other examples. I gotta think something like that makes more sense than whining about quitting medicine altogether if you don't match into derm. The point is, there are other avenues to where you are trying to go-- you just have to be proactive and seek them out.

MSQ,

I would strongly suggest going to a therapist or other mental health professional to try to help you through this difficult time in your life. I would try to refrain from making any life changing decisions right now while you are still early on in your grief process. I truly hope you get the help you need right now.

MSQ,

I would strongly suggest going to a therapist or other mental health professional to try to help you through this difficult time in your life. I would try to refrain from making any life changing decisions right now while you are still early on in your grief process. I truly hope you get the help you need right now.

Umm, so I go from not matching to having to go to a mental health professional? :| You are being a bit harsh, no?

Umm, so I go from not matching to having to go to a mental health professional? :| You are being a bit harsh, no?

Or being kind...

you dont want to make a bad decision while youre head is still spinning.

Are we going back to the begining of this again?

I seem to remember having made a comment about a Cluster B disorder somewhere on this thread.

I think Teri was trying to say that maybe a little bit of professional advice would help you get through this really tough time. I dont think its a bad idea. You could learn some strategies to coping with the current situation and how to approach the future. All of us have times in our life where we have too much on our plate and need to ask for help. No shame in asking for a hand when you need it. Many schools offer a few free sessions to students. And maybe it would be helpful to have someone who is not a family member or dean or advisor to talk about the situation in-person rather than virtually.

Of course, continuing this discussion would turn it into a "medical advice" thread which is not allowed and would get the thread locked quite quickly.

Or being kind...

you dont want to make a bad decision while youre head is still spinning.

Are we going back to the begining of this again?

I seem to remember having made a comment about a Cluster B disorder somewhere on this thread.

I don't really think that's kind. I have not made any ultimate/final decisions yet. I am trying to make the best decision for myself but since I had not yet been able to talk to one of my PD's, some things are still on hold. I will be able to speak with him later on this week, and I believe that meeting will shed a great deal of light and could potentially open up a huge door or close it.

I think saying something like I have a cluster B disorder is pretty harsh, for not knowing me and especially since i'm in the midst of a tough time.

I think Teri was trying to say that maybe a little bit of professional advice would help you get through this really tough time. I dont think its a bad idea. You could learn some strategies to coping with the current situation and how to approach the future. All of us have times in our life where we have too much on our plate and need to ask for help. No shame in asking for a hand when you need it. Many schools offer a few free sessions to students. And maybe it would be helpful to have someone who is not a family member or dean or advisor to talk about the situation in-person rather than virtually.

Of course, continuing this discussion would turn it into a "medical advice" thread which is not allowed and would get the thread locked quite quickly.

If I felt I needed any of those services, I would be the first to go to them. Realistically, I need some orientation and a mentor at this point who can help me get a plan together and work towards it. Like I said, once I talk to my derm PD that will shed significant light as far as possibilities.

You seem to have taken her advice and turned it from a recommendation/suggestion (which is what you asked for many times) into a personal insult. It was offered to try to help you.

Again, if you dont want to take our advice, dont. But dont argue about it on the board. The rest of us are less likely to offer advice in the future and more likely to get annoyed leading to personal insults and name-calling.

You seem to have taken her advice and turned it from a recommendation/suggestion (which is what you asked for many times) into a personal insult. It was offered to try to help you.

Again, if you dont want to take our advice, dont. But dont argue about it on the board. The rest of us are less likely to offer advice in the future and more likely to get annoyed leading to personal insults and name-calling.

I have asked about opinions on what to do yes. And some have been great ideas. I did not ask for advice on my mental health though.

It seems like you have a few options...

1) Quit medicine altogether since your world is black and white, and its either derm or nothing... lots of people have done this, and goes on to do other things with their MD

2) Do something productive and reapply to derm.

you're likely to have some excuse or level of hatred for these suggestions.. but here goes.. You can also

1) Do a family medicine residency, and cater your practice to mostly derm issue (I'm seen this done quite successfully)

2) Use all that skills that you have acquired through your struggles and life experiences that you talked about, and apply to this situation. I find it hard to believe that either you're exuberantly happy with derm, or miserable doing something else...

I also think you should at least talk to your family and perhaps seek some counseling. Goodluck

On a somewhat tangential note.... Does the person who seems to have some inside info on those NY Methodist spots that are still open have any suggestions on how to get through to them:? I sent them an ERAS scramble app., and unlike the OP would love to have one of their spots.

I am an AMG, and have passed all three steps, each on the first try, and have a valid unrestricted NY license, but have assorted baggage which is (I, of course, feel, unfairly) impeding my ability to match. My efforts to get through to them by email, fax, and phone have been unsuccessful so far.

It seems like you have a few options...

1) Quit medicine altogether since your world is black and white, and its either derm or nothing... lots of people have done this, and goes on to do other things with their MD

2) Do something productive and reapply to derm.

you're likely to have some excuse or level of hatred for these suggestions.. but here goes.. You can also

1) Do a family medicine residency, and cater your practice to mostly derm issue (I'm seen this done quite successfully)

2) Use all that skills that you have acquired through your struggles and life experiences that you talked about, and apply to this situation. I find it hard to believe that either you're exuberantly happy with derm, or miserable doing something else...

I also think you should at least talk to your family and perhaps seek some counseling. Goodluck

My current thoughts are:
-since i'm pretty much done and just need to take step 2, i will study for it and take it and graduate with my MD. i guess it would be stupid to not get it with all the work i've put into it
-talk to PD at end of week to see if i can do fellowship in lab
-either continue to do prelim if i find one, or do some sort of research
-i dont think i will seek counseling at this time

On a somewhat tangential note.... Does the person who seems to have some inside info on those NY Methodist spots that are still open have any suggestions on how to get through to them:? I sent them an ERAS scramble app., and unlike the OP would love to have one of their spots.

I am an AMG, and have passed all three steps, each on the first try, and have a valid unrestricted NY license, but have assorted baggage which is (I, of course, feel, unfairly) impeding my ability to match. My efforts to get through to them by email, fax, and phone have been unsuccessful so far.

Have you tried calling? I have called and talked to someone there, and what you have to do is send you app. through ERAS, which you have done.

Like others have said on this board, i think they mostly take IMG's so not sure if they'd take you. Try calling again, it's possible to get through eventually.

Can i ask what's impeding your ability to match? Did you apply last year or just this year?

Hey, I did get through by phone, twice, but all they will say is they have the ERAS apps, and stop calling....

I am in a position i want to warn you about...I have a lot of baggage due to personal issues with one of my children, and had a lot of family die while I was in med school. The whole thing reads like a bad melodrama, and it makes PDs really dubious. they look at things like my dean's letter, which unavoidably goes on about all I overcame, and semll trouble.

I think most PDs are not looking for brilliant residents, but rather, trouble free ones. I don't know how much you have focused on what you have overcome in your match process, but in the future I am planning on coming up with a lot of other stuff for them to focus on, up to and including juggling flaming torches. I just want them to stop unjustly feeling I might be unreliable because of something I cannot eliminate, and which I can't hide because it is all over my dean's letter.

Hey, I did get through by phone, twice, but all they will say is they have the ERAS apps, and stop calling....

I am in a position i want to warn you about...I have a lot of baggage due to personal issues with one of my children, and had a lot of family die while I was in med school. The whole thing reads like a bad melodrama, and it makes PDs really dubious. they look at things like my dean's letter, which unavoidably goes on about all I overcame, and semll trouble.

I think most PDs are not looking for brilliant residents, but rather, trouble free ones. I don't know how much you have focused on what you have overcome in your match process, but in the future I am planning on coming up with a lot of other stuff for them to focus on, up to and including juggling flaming torches. I just want them to stop unjustly feeling I might be unreliable because of something I cannot eliminate, and which I can't hide because it is all over my dean's letter.

why does your dean's letter talk about your personal issue? it really shouldn't. what has happened in your personal life that has affected your academics? and are you a resident now?

It's a long and complicated story. In any case, that's what my dean's letter does. He saw it as a positive. I am not a resident now. I was in the past, and did a prelim year at a good program. Did fine, did not leave because of any residency related issues. Like I said, a long story and unavoidable circumstances. I just need to get a residency, anywhere, to get my career back on track.

It will happen. I just have to jump through a lot of hoops. You have to give up on the idea of things being unfair. Life is unfair. It just is. if you want to succeed, you have to focus on what good things you do have in your life. Then you figure out what you have to do, unfair or not, and do it.

My current thoughts are:
-since i'm pretty much done and just need to take step 2, i will study for it and take it and graduate with my MD. i guess it would be stupid to not get it with all the work i've put into it
-talk to PD at end of week to see if i can do fellowship in lab
-either continue to do prelim if i find one, or do some sort of research
-i dont think i will seek counseling at this time

Sounds like a great plan.

The only reason to consider delaying graduation is sometimes it easier to apply to residency when you are still in school rather than having a gap between graduation and starting. You shouldnt have to do any extra work, but if your dean or PD thinks it puts you in a better position to reapply its worth considering.

Otherwise, go out and make some lemonade and rock Step II and your research project!!!!

It's a long and complicated story. In any case, that's what my dean's letter does. He saw it as a positive. I am not a resident now. I was in the past, and did a prelim year at a good program. Did fine, did not leave because of any residency related issues. Like I said, a long story and unavoidable circumstances. I just need to get a residency, anywhere, to get my career back on track.

It will happen. I just have to jump through a lot of hoops. You have to give up on the idea of things being unfair. Life is unfair. It just is. if you want to succeed, you have to focus on what good things you do have in your life. Then you figure out what you have to do, unfair or not, and do it.

Sorry to hear that you are having some issues. :( what specialty were you going into? and can your previous residency PD help at all?

I have met quite a few "dermatologists" making a pretty penny and having a wonderful career by abandoning their board certified specialties and becoming a "dermatologist" full-time. I personally have met one ER doc who has a derm spa, and an Ob-Gyn who has her own dermatology practice and attends all the AAD meetings (she is not hard to miss...if you meet her you'll know what I mean).

Although I cannot condone becoming a dermatologist without residency training and board certification, several have pursued it successfully. Nobody can really stop you. There are many paths to achieving your dream.

It would be a shame to abandon your medical career at this point, if you are the outstanding student you say you are.

Things you need to do, no matter what:
- Finish your MPH.
- Finish your lab work.
- Graduate.

And...I sincerely hope you are spending as much time on your paper(s) and research as you are browsing and posting on this message board...:(

Sounds like a great plan.

The only reason to consider delaying graduation is sometimes it easier to apply to residency when you are still in school rather than having a gap between graduation and starting. You shouldnt have to do any extra work, but if your dean or PD thinks it puts you in a better position to reapply its worth considering.

Otherwise, go out and make some lemonade and rock Step II and your research project!!!!

The problem with delaying graduation is that I'm also doing an MPH, so I've taken longer to graduate because of that, but I've finished my requirements for the MD already, in Jan. Because I did not start my MPH at the beginning of med school though, I still probably have 1 or 2 semesters left of it. So I might as well finish that at this point.

I don't understand what you mean by "you shouldn't have to do any extra work, but if your dean or PD thinks it puts you in a better position to reapply its worth considering." what do you mean by that?

again, this is one of my concerns. there will be a 3 or 4 month gap if i don't find a prelim between graduating and applying to residency again.

I was one of the people who chimed in about the NY Methodist program. They purposefully don't fill in the match (as in submit rank lists of 0) in order to scoop up good applicants in the scramble. The housestaff are 100% foreign grads, but not necessarily due to a prejudice against Americans!

You will work very hard there and be a warm body doing the work of 3 for the salary of 1/3, but hey-- it's a spot, it's fully accredited, and you'll emerge a board-eligible IM doc.

I have met quite a few "dermatologists" making a pretty penny and having a wonderful career by abandoning their board certified specialties and becoming a "dermatologist" full-time. I personally have met one ER doc who has a derm spa, and an Ob-Gyn who has her own dermatology practice and attends all the AAD meetings (she is not hard to miss...if you meet her you'll know what I mean).

Although I cannot condone becoming a dermatologist without residency training and board certification, several have pursued it successfully. Nobody can really stop you. There are many paths to achieving your dream.

It would be a shame to abandon your medical career at this point, if you are the outstanding student you say you are.

Things you need to do, no matter what:
- Finish your MPH.
- Finish your lab work.
- Graduate.

And...I sincerely hope you are spending as much time on your paper(s) and research as you are browsing and posting on this message board...:(

It's a moment of transition and trying to put things into perspective again. So for me it was important to take a step back and get my head in order and try to get my emotions under control too. Things are almost done with my lab work, and there is no point in being an emotional wreck in the lab in my opinion.

I was one of the people who chimed in about the NY Methodist program. They purposefully don't fill in the match (as in submit rank lists of 0) in order to scoop up good applicants in the scramble. The housestaff are 100% foreign grads, but not necessarily due to a prejudice against Americans!

You will work very hard there and be a warm body doing the work of 3 for the salary of 1/3, but hey-- it's a spot, it's fully accredited, and you'll emerge a board-eligible IM doc.

I am aware of what NYMethodist is like. Actually, the salary isn't half bad. As for the rest, beggars can't be choosers and scut work is my middle name. I just need a way to get them to look at me, and unless i can get them to talk to me they won't. I am too old and I do have a lot of baggage, but, obviously, no visa issues, and what they may see as a negative--my desperate need for the position---can also be a positive, since it is a powerful motivating force to keep me from quitting. I will finish a residency or die trying.

You know... Ive been thinking...

It seems like its our generation that is idealistic about career choices. Many in our parent's and grandparent's generations fell into their career paths, and thrived in them.

I know of someone in their generation that chose his undergrad major because they were giving out scholarships for that major. He found something that he was interested in and good at, and went on with his career and grad school to promote that career path. I know of someone else who worked his way up in a business, learned the ropes, and eventually started his own company doing the same thing.

So many old-timers in medicine got their start in a field just because they just fell into it.... I was just reading about Dr Taussig... Guyton... the physiologist... I believe he was in a neurosurgery residency before he ended up in a wheelchair and became the biggest name in physiology. One of the physicians I know ended up in his field because the US Military forced him into it.

I guess my point is... this is life. be thankful for what you have... Keep an open mind about the future.

The salary at NYM is nothing to scoff at.

The problem with delaying graduation is that I'm also doing an MPH, so I've taken longer to graduate because of that, but I've finished my requirements for the MD already, in Jan. Because I did not start my MPH at the beginning of med school though, I still probably have 1 or 2 semesters left of it. So I might as well finish that at this point.

I don't understand what you mean by "you shouldn't have to do any extra work, but if your dean or PD thinks it puts you in a better position to reapply its worth considering." what do you mean by that?

again, this is one of my concerns. there will be a 3 or 4 month gap if i don't find a prelim between graduating and applying to residency again.

So you would not have finished your MPH if you start residency this summer? Then, yeah, definitely finish that up!

As for delaying graduation, I dont know how they do it, but there are students at my school who fulfill all the requirements to graduate, take a year off (sometimes out of town), and then come back and graduate the following year. They dont have any classes left to take the year before they graduate (hence no extra work), but they work something out where they delay getting their diploma. It also should allow you to do an away rotation if you want, or maybe an extra elective in another field.

As for the 3-4 month gap. Well, make the most of it! Spend that time in the lab, studying for the boards, doing a month or two on an indian reservation or a 3rd world country volunteering in a clinic. Whatever. Make some lemonade!!!

So you would not have finished your MPH if you start residency this summer? Then, yeah, definitely finish that up!

As for delaying graduation, I dont know how they do it, but there are students at my school who fulfill all the requirements to graduate, take a year off (sometimes out of town), and then come back and graduate the following year. They dont have any classes left to take the year before they graduate (hence no extra work), but they work something out where they delay getting their diploma. It also should allow you to do an away rotation if you want, or maybe an extra elective in another field.

As for the 3-4 month gap. Well, make the most of it! Spend that time in the lab, studying for the boards, doing a month or two on an indian reservation or a 3rd world country volunteering in a clinic. Whatever. Make some lemonade!!!

Well I can easily do the work of the MPH without actually going to class, so that wouldn't be a big deal in and out of itself. Also I have ADD, so I have difficulty paying attention in class, so I don't go to class frequently. So no big deal completing that while in residency. Again, because I started the MPH this past summer, I'm already on 5 years, even though I've finished the MD requirements. I think it would look terrible to have a graduation of 6 years.

I believe I'd likely still would be able to do away type rotations if necessary, I could do an externship type thing. I will take some time to study for step 2, so that may cover part of the gap.

I'd also like to find a mentor. There was someone in the derm dept at my school who was very fond of me and gave me advise frequently, but lately he's become a bit distant and so I don't want to push it.

But I'd love for this faculty member to be my mentor, I just don't know how to go about it.

... I think it would look terrible to have a graduation of 6 years. ...

His point was that the match goes easier, and you have less to explain if you are applying as a medical student rather than someone who has been out of school, and you are more likely able to work in electives/rotations without them looking like add-ons rather than courses in your curriculum. So many people in your situation defer graduating while doing eg a research year.

Would you please TRY and convince me that you have a reason for an interest in Derm, besides money? Tell me that you are interested in TEN, SJS.

Well, to be fair, I once tried to get a derm consult for a patient where we were worried about SJS, and even the actual dermatologist didn't seem very interested. At least they sure weren't running down to do the consult.

Don't you need to know someone over a long period of time before making that assessment? The OP actually seems to be taking in some of what people are saying here, if slowly.

You know... Ive been thinking...

It seems like its our generation that is idealistic about career choices. Many in our parent's and grandparent's generations fell into their career paths, and thrived in them.

I know of someone in their generation that chose his undergrad major because they were giving out scholarships for that major. He found something that he was interested in and good at, and went on with his career and grad school to promote that career path. I know of someone else who worked his way up in a business, learned the ropes, and eventually started his own company doing the same thing.

So many old-timers in medicine got their start in a field just because they just fell into it.... I was just reading about Dr Taussig... Guyton... the physiologist... I believe he was in a neurosurgery residency before he ended up in a wheelchair and became the biggest name in physiology. One of the physicians I know ended up in his field because the US Military forced him into it.

I guess my point is... this is life. be thankful for what you have... Keep an open mind about the future.

I completely agree. There's someone at my medical school who was just diagnosed with something horrible and probably won't be alive next Match Day.

To say "there is nothing else on earth I could be happy doing," even if true, misses the point entirely.

As an aside, my comment "the work of three for the salary of 1/3" wasn't meant to compare NYM resident salaries to those of other residents, but rather to the salaries of the people whose jobs they're doing in addition to their own (nurse, phlebotomist, social worker, X-ray tech, transport...)

His point was that the match goes easier, and you have less to explain if you are applying as a medical student rather than someone who has been out of school, and you are more likely able to work in electives/rotations without them looking like add-ons rather than courses in your curriculum. So many people in your situation defer graduating while doing eg a research year.

Because I am already doing an additional grad degree, I'm not sure it would look great if I extended another year. I think it would look terribly odd to have a medical education spanning 6 years, and to have finished req's 1.5 years before your graduation date. If any questioning comes up, I would think I'd rather explain that I'm finishing up my MPH and the thesis that comes along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.