Cannot afford to attend national conference, should I list it on ERAS resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agiraffe999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm first author on a paper and have been accepted to present at a national meeting. Only issue is that its half way across the country, and I cannot afford to pay out of pocket for travel expenses. I have exhausted nearly all possible funding opportunities I could find. My PI is switching institutions soon and said he doesn't have any leftover money, although he said he will just present if I can't attend due to financial costs. Should this be listed on my resume? I thought of the project idea, published it, made the poster myself, etc but was not sure if I should list this conference on my resume even though I was not presenting. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. List and cite with the same author order as it reads on your poster.
Will do, thank you.

In general, if someone else presents I would not list it on my resume right? Is this an exception due to me being unable to attend due to financial cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just take out a loan. This is not the time to worry about $500 (flight/airbnb). Did you maximize your federal school loans for this year?
I'm relatively young and my PI (who I trust) said its not really worth it right now and that I should try to get money from someone or just wait till next year where I have better/more research and pay out of pocket if needed then

Will do, thank you.

In general, if someone else presents I would not list it on my resume right? Is this an exception due to me being unable to attend due to financial cost?
No. Still list it. It’s your work and it was accepted for either a poster presentation or an oral presentation. List it as such.

I have separate lines on my CV for conferences attended vs posters presented vs oral presentations just for this reason. It leads to duplicates but addresses the issue.

Relevant as a Med student or resident. As an attending I’ll condense it because no one cares, conference attendance doesn’t make RVUs. 🙄

Reactions: 1 users
No. Still list it. It’s your work and it was accepted for either a poster presentation or an oral presentation. List it as such.

I have separate lines on my CV for conferences attended vs posters presented vs oral presentations just for this reason. It leads to duplicates but addresses the issue.

Relevant as a Med student or resident. As an attending I’ll condense it because no one cares, conference attendance doesn’t make RVUs. 🙄
That's interesting since i was under the impression of grouping everything into one Abstracts category that'll probably end up being removed anyways several years down the line

That's interesting since i was under the impression of grouping everything into one Abstracts category that'll probably end up being removed anyways several years down the line
You can do it however you want. I went to some conferences where I didn’t present on a scholarship from residency. Others I presented posters, others podiums. I felt it was worthwhile distinguishing all of those things. Worked out for me. Shrug.

I had a similar situation. I listed it on ERAS and I think I noted who the presenter was so there wasn't confusion.

You still did the work and it got accepted. You deserve to get the benefit of that hard work on your application.

Reactions: 1 users
If the poster is presented, list it under your posters section. Usually this does not require changing the order of authors - conferences typically allow any author to present the work. Just make clear who presented the poster.

Reactions: 2 users