Canadians Studying in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheer_up

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'd like to know as soon as possible if Canadians need some sort of visa to study in the US. I didn't think we did, but I could be very wrong as I don't know much about this subject. I'm filling out an application for the Advanced Standing Program for International Dentists at the University of Colorado. There is a section on the application that one must complete if one is not a US permanent resident or U.S. citizen.
The Questions are: 1) Do you hold a U.S. visa? If yes, which type, F-1, J-2, B-2, H-4, Other. 2) If not, what type of visa do you intend to apply for?
Okay, for one, I DO NOT have any type of U.S. visa and have no idea which type I need (or if I'll need one), being a Canadian myself :confused: :confused:
Please help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards..

Members don't see this ad.

You will almost certainly get an F-1. You should call or e-mail the admissions office and ask them this question.

MeowMix said:
You will almost certainly get an F-1. You should call or e-mail the admissions office and ask them this question.

Thanks, MeowMix.

Members don't see this ad :)
you need an I20 or F1. after you graduate, you can work in your field for one year on an OPT (optional practical training) visa. each school should have an international advisor who processes this paperwork, and it would be a good idea to contact this person at least 2 months before your classes start. the border officials will give you a lot of grief (i.e. send you home) if you try to cross without your paperwork. the visa app is very straightforward, and you should have no problems. green card, that may be another story....
good luck!

Thanks for the info, rbrun. Right now, I have no intention of staying in the US permanently. Just want to get a dental degree, maybe work for a year or two to get some experience after graduation, and then come back to Canada. So getting a green card is not an issue :)

cheer_up said:
Thanks for the info, rbrun. Right now, I have no intention of staying in the US permanently. Just want to get a dental degree, maybe work for a year or two to get some experience after graduation, and then come back to Canada. So getting a green card is not an issue :)

Yeah you get an I-20 from the school, then you go to the US consulate and get your F1. The only slight difference, is when you live within driving distance to the school, from Canada. i.e. Niagra and buffalo, then you may be able to get a different type of visa. YOu will have to live in Canada thou.. I know "what pain" sarcasticaly speaking.

docbill said:
Yeah you get an I-20 from the school, then you go to the US consulate and get your F1. The only slight difference, is when you live within driving distance to the school, from Canada. i.e. Niagra and buffalo, then you may be able to get a different type of visa. YOu will have to live in Canada thou.. I know "what pain" sarcasticaly speaking.

LOL....yeah, I don't mind living in Canada at all...I love Canada :love:
Oh, I thought or rather someone told me that I don't have to go to a US consulate to get the F1. I was told to just to present the I-20 form and other school documents at the airport to Customs and they'll grant me the F1. Anyway, I'll definitely look more into this once I actually get in. On the application, I put down F1. I think that's safe for now until I get an acceptance from the school. :)
Thanks, docbill.

Yeah .. I can't wait to do residency close to Canadian border, that way I can live in Canada, but then again, I may be singing a different tune later.

BTW, You have to get an I-20 from the school and with that in hand you have to get an F1. I have never heard of someone getting an F1 at airport or border crossing. A NAFTA visa yes.. but never an F1. Maybe I am wrong.. please let me know.

Good luck
bA