Canadian WAMC (no ECs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

permanentjetlag

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to get some advice/WAMC.

I live in BC, and recently graduated with a BSc.
cGPA is 3.90 on the OMSAS scale
MCAT is 515 (129, 127, 131, 128)

My big problem is that I have almost no ECs. The only thing I have is 4 years of babysitting, and some miscellaneous short term volunteer things that I did 5 years ago. I've played basketball and was in band throughout high school, not sure if that counts for anything. As for work, I've been a research assistant at two biotech companies (for coop) and a tutor at a math center for kids.

My question is, should I apply to multiple schools this cycle? Should I just apply to UBC for this cycle? Other schools to consider (not planning on taking the CASPer unless it opens up a lot more options)? Should I take a gap year and work on ECs? Is it too late? Tips for improving ECs?

As you can see, I'm in a hole right now lol so thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not apply this year without any clinical volunteering or shadowing hours. You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering (hospital setting would be fine).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your reply. I understand that Canada isn't big on shadowing experience, do you know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad :)
@permanentjetlag It is difficult to obtain physician shadowing experience in Canada due to privacy and confidentiality issues. As such, Canadian med schools do not expect you to have any.

McMaster does not consider ECs in its application process, but your CARS is too low to make you a strong applicant there. All other English Canadian schools put fairly heavy emphasis on ECs. That said, if you can spare the cash and handle the probable disappointment, there is no harm in applying to UBC and hoping your work experience gets you an interview. As best as I know, UBC has no bias against repeat applicants, so a rejection will not affect your future chances there.

In terms of which ECs to prioritize getting involved in, I'd make sure to get experience working with patients (e.g. by volunteering in a hospital, hospice, long term care facility, etc.)

@pms_testosterone Strange, I didn't receive an email saying that you replied, so I didn't see your post until now.

Thanks for all that information! Ugh, I hate that my CARS score is somewhere between average and bad. Not sure whether to retake or not because I don't think I can do better in CARS :bigtears:

I decided not to apply this year so I'll need to research more schools where I'll have a chance. Thanks again!