Canadian student applying to the U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basharb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am currently entering my fourth year at a Canadian University and am taking my MCAT later this summer. Just would really love some insight about where Canadian students have applied to med school outside of Canada (in the states, and elsewhere). Please let me know about any insights into the applications and where you'd recommend as I am very unclear on schools outside of my country. I have done some research on my own but thought it would be more efficient to ask here instead of looking through all the universities in the states. I also have heard the timelines for applications are quite different.

Any help would be great! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT score is not available by September, you will be quite late in a process that does not favor international applicants. Even with an excellent score, a much stronger application can be assembled for the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
If your MCAT score is not available by September, you will be quite late in a process that does not favor international applicants. Even with an excellent score, a much stronger application can be assembled for the next cycle.
I should be able to have my MCAT score by September 20th!

Members don't see this ad :)
Even with a superstar application you will be much less likely to get enough interviews with an application this late.

I second this. A sept 20 score is way too late

Hi there, I am currently entering my fourth year at a Canadian University and am taking my MCAT later this summer. Just would really love some insight about where Canadian students have applied to med school outside of Canada (in the states, and elsewhere). Please let me know about any insights into the applications and where you'd recommend as I am very unclear on schools outside of my country. I have done some research on my own but thought it would be more efficient to ask here instead of looking through all the universities in the states. I also have heard the timelines for applications are quite different.

Apply as early as possible. This means everything (including secondaries). It'll give you the best chance at having your pick of schools. That and ace that MCAT! (How's your GPA?)

It's about time you showed up.

Hehe. In between the craziness of a 2,500 mile move and a little vacation, I haven't checked in here as often. Promise I'll be more vigilant once school starts! :)

Okay, no need to consult the resident Canadian maniac, whatever I get it. I didn't want to play with you guys anyway.

Reactions: 4 users

Just a heads up that you also need to get MSAR. Don't bother applying to schools that haven't interviewed any internationals, and be very leery of ones who interviewed less than 10. Also don't bother applying anywhere that has not accepted any.

Just a heads up that you also need to get MSAR. Don't bother applying to schools that haven't interviewed any internationals, and be very leery of ones who interviewed less than 10. Also don't bother applying anywhere that has not accepted any.
MSAR data on the number interviewed is messed up this year. I'm going with 3 or fewer matriculants as a rule of thumb.

You got into Upstate though (seen your previous posts)! I think they like any OOS or international with a high MCAT...

You got into Upstate though (seen your previous posts)! I think they like any OOS or international with a high MCAT...
Upstate is odd because they don't take many OOS but you seemingly have a better chance as an international.

Upstate is odd because they don't take many OOS but you seemingly have a better chance as an international.

Do you think having a PhD made you a more desirable and successful candidate for the US schools? I can only guess that you have an extensive research background lol.

Second applying and being complete early. Sept 20 is late.

Do you think having a PhD made you a more desirable and successful candidate for the US schools? I can only guess that you have an extensive research background lol.

Yes and no. I think it's school dependent and it doesn't make up for a lack of ECs or other expected activities. To be frank, my GPA seriously held me back, as well as not having enough recent volunteering/clinical activities. Some of that is just kinda what happens when you start focusing all your energy on a specific career with high demands. I felt that the schools who gave me a chance were willing to excuse a couple deficiencies and consider the overall picture. Also, at least once, I was asked whether this switch in career has to do with not being successful in science/academia (it doesn't -- I have 2 patents and 8 pubs and it would probably be easier for me to continue down that road) - so be prepared to explain yourself.

I don't think at any particular school the PhD gave me an in. It may have gathered interest though for a variety of reasons - none of which are 100% apparent. (e.g. Dartmouth values non-trads and life experience. It's very apparent in their student body. Still somewhat sad I'm not going there, but you can't choose more than 1 place to go to unfortunately.)

Yes and no. I think it's school dependent and it doesn't make up for a lack of ECs or other expected activities. To be frank, my GPA seriously held me back, as well as not having enough recent volunteering/clinical activities. Some of that is just kinda what happens when you start focusing all your energy on a specific career with high demands. I felt that the schools who gave me a chance were willing to excuse a couple deficiencies and consider the overall picture. Also, at least once, I was asked whether this switch in career has to do with not being successful in science/academia (it doesn't -- I have 2 patents and 8 pubs and it would probably be easier for me to continue down that road) - so be prepared to explain yourself.

I don't think at any particular school the PhD gave me an in. It may have gathered interest though for a variety of reasons - none of which are 100% apparent. (e.g. Dartmouth values non-trads and life experience. It's very apparent in their student body. Still somewhat sad I'm not going there, but you can't choose more than 1 place to go to unfortunately.)

6/10 humblebrag
did a good job of couching turning down an acceptance to Dartmouth while holding on to one conceivably as good as part of a "humble" story of how it was the poster's life experience and overall app that made it possible to "look past their faults" and gain acceptance
humblebrag score was brought down a little because they bemoan not being able to attend not 2 but only one top notch medical school

Buck up OP, Dartmouth is taking nontrads!

sorry @bearintraining I just couldn't resist making a joke
your point, if not the details, is well taken

6/10 humblebrag
did a good job of couching turning down an acceptance to Dartmouth while holding on to one conceivably as good as part of a "humble" story of how it was the poster's life experience and overall app that made it possible to "look past their faults" and gain acceptance
humblebrag score was brought down a little because they bemoan not being able to attend not 2 but only one top notch medical school

Buck up OP, Dartmouth is taking nontrads!

sorry @bearintraining I just couldn't resist making a joke
your point, if not the details, is well taken

Definitely not a humblebrag. I'm not the ideal MD candidate, and I'm okay with that. That said, I worked hard to get what I wanted and I'm glad I was successful this year as its not my first cycle.