Canadian Seeking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubuddy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am a Canadian going into my 3rd year this fall and have just recently discovered podiatry from a close friend of mine and love all the aspects of podiatric medicine! Since I was kinda late to the party, I did not do any DPM shadowing as of yet, and after researching Ontario practice laws (my province) on individuals with a DPM, they are very limited compared to their US counterparts. I was just curious if shawdowing a Canadian DPM would be enough to do so.

I come from a very smallish school and there isnt much variety/interesting courses that are available for me. As of right now, I want to take some environmental science courses for pure interest but the course code level is 2000 or a 2nd year course. How would pod schools look at my transcript if I was taking some 1st or 2nd year courses in my senior years? Should there be a minimum amount

Also, since I am considered an International student, would my GPA and MCAT need to be higher than the US applicant pool?

Thanks to all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I am a Canadian going into my 3rd year this fall and have just recently discovered podiatry from a close friend of mine and love all the aspects of podiatric medicine! Since I was kinda late to the party, I did not do any DPM shadowing as of yet, and after researching Ontario practice laws (my province) on individuals with a DPM, they are very limited compared to their US counterparts. I was just curious if shawdowing a Canadian DPM would be enough to do so.

I come from a very smallish school and there isnt much variety/interesting courses that are available for me. As of right now, I want to take some environmental science courses for pure interest but the course code level is 2000 or a 2nd year course. How would pod schools look at my transcript if I was taking some 1st or 2nd year courses in my senior years? Should there be a minimum amount

Also, since I am considered an International student, would my GPA and MCAT need to be higher than the US applicant pool?

Thanks to all in advance!

1) No you do not need a higher MCAT + GPA to get in because you are international

2) Schools do not care what you take your senior year, as long as you have completed all prerequisites

3) If you are planning to come back to Canada and practice, shadowing a Canadian DPM should not be a problem. If you can, shadowing a US DPM would be a bit better in terms of accuracy for what you will be schooling for.

Reactions: 1 user